Product Review Race Face Turbine wheels

clockworked

Like an orange
Item: Race Face turbine wheels - 30mm ID aluminum rims (exactly the same as the older Easton Arcs) and a Race Face Trace hub with 28 bladed, straight pull spokes
Purchased From: Came on my Knolly Warden
Purchase Price (approx): Between 500-1000 depending on where you shop
Usage: Trail, SEQ enduro and downhill series

Pros - The rims have stayed super straight, and the weight of the full set up is pretty sweet (about 1800g)
Cons - The rear hub axle snapped clean in two

Comments: So I'm heavy, and I'm a hack. I weigh about 100kg most of the time, and i ride mainly for the down part. While I am heavy, I don't think I'm all that hard on gear. I'm fast by strava standards (thanks, phone) but SLOW by actual race standards, and I don't break gear regularly at all.
I've had these wheels on my main bike for 2 years now, and they've performed really nicely until last week. I raced the 2016 SEQ downhill and enduro series, and cannonball on these wheels, and I rode trails a couple times a week as well. But I also had a baby this year, and spent a lot of 2017 chasing my toddler around. So they've seen some use, and lasted 2 years, but went through busier, and quieter periods in that time.
They've performed flawlessly, like I haven't even had to true them in two years, until they failed last week.
Just like every other spud, I was just riding along when it happened.
I heard a rubbing sound on cornering, thought it might be mud/tyre rub, but I couldn't see anything. Rode out the rest of my ride at Gap Creek and checked them when I got home.
Long story short, the axle has sheared right at the interface between freehub, and hub. The most frustrating part is that both sides are securely ensconced within their respective sides of the hub and the release mechanism of unscrewing them is impossible without somehow stopping the axle spinning internally... So the hub is irreparable as well..

Also of note, I'm pretty sure these were advertised as 6 pawl hubs, but these have only got 3 pawls inside them!

All in all: I'm gonna rebuild the rims because I like them, and I have another 28 hole hub sitting around, but I wouldn't go and buy another race face hub after this.

Pictures/Videos: