Race pedals

Musgrove

Likes Dirt
I am going to move to clips soon for racing and I am just wondering which cleats would be best value for money? Im looking at the Crank bros Mallet C at the moment. Id all so like to know what shoes I should get?

x

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is this for bmx racing?? :confused:
Because if this is for dh or xc etc, then wrong forum!:rolleyes:

trail_boss

Likes Bikes
i just run pretty standard shimano ones that have a base around the cleat so its easier if you unclip and need to get it back in quickly rather than eagg beaters that are tiny!

Hey

When im racing i run shimano dx spd pedals with the cage around them. I also use 661 expert shoes as they are a good brand and were quite cheap. So far i havent had any problems with uncliping or anything like that although i recently broke my cloarbone at the local dirt jumps with them on so watch out when you start jumping. Hope this helps I have included some pictures of the peadls and shoes so you can check them out. :D :D :D

Oh and i dont know about the Mallets but you can hardly ride the bike if you dont have clip in shoes on with the shimanos because the cleat sticks up above the cleat a fair way.

Musgrove

Likes Dirt
Do you find the tension adjustment help full.

Hey

When im racing i run shimano dx spd pedals with the cage around them. I also use 661 expert shoes as they are a good brand and were quite cheap. So far i havent had any problems with uncliping or anything like that although i recently broke my cloarbone at the local dirt jumps with them on so watch out when you start jumping. Hope this helps I have included some pictures of the peadls and shoes so you can check them out. :D :D :D

Oh and i dont know about the Mallets but you can hardly ride the bike if you dont have clip in shoes on with the shimanos because the cleat sticks up above the cleat a fair way.

Arete

Likes Dirt
I've used shimano 636's and mallets for DH.
Both are good pedals, but the shimano enagement is not quite as quick as the crank bros. Shimano's you have to do the "slide forwards, click down manouver, the mallets, you just mash your cleat into the spindles. I've heard reports of people breaking the arms on mallets, 636's are bombproof. I've still got my old set kicking around somewhere from like 1998 and they still work, and have never had a service.

The Crank Bro's pedals are better finished, but both are pretty good.

Do you find the tension adjustment help full.
Yer it dose help but i didnt have to use it for a fair while because i liked the setting the pedals were on and they held up for a while before any thing started to move. The pedals are sealed and and have never been serviced since i got them and take a hell of alot of abuse. So theyed deffinately be my choice.:D :D :D

user name

Likes Dirt
Buy some good NORMAL pedals like me and then you wont eat the shit as hard as clippid in people!!...with practice i beat people with clips, and it feels great cos you know your at a disadvantage...
clips-$200. Pedals-$100

TS153

TerryScarr.com
I use shimano M545 clips, I would recomend not getting the top of the line DX M647's cause you cant get enough tension and shoes are your choice I guess, whatever you feel comfortable with.

paiaro

Pro Rider
when i race which is not very much anymore i use shimano m545 and shimano dx shoes. perfect combination i think but im not too sure if shimano make the dx shoes in a clip version anymore

Jess_Dawg

Likes Dirt
go shimanos. i run Mallet M's for dh and bmx racing, great for dh. shit for bmx. i have problems pulling my foot out of the pedal out of the gate, because of the lack of adjustment on the pedal
shimano dx's would be the way to go set them nice and tight...

supa jb

Likes Dirt
why would you pull your foot out of the pedal out of the gate?

ive been using mallets racing bmx for nearly 2 years and i havnt had any problems with them. i love that i dont need to stuff around with adjusting tension their just the same everytime.

i rebuilt them (new bearings) about a month ago and their still going strong.

get them

E-thugin

Likes Dirt
Where do u race??????

i just got a set of crank Brothers Candy sL... they weigh 294grams

got a small platform on em.. & light.. i reckon standard eggbeater pedals arent that good for racing, just coz they dont have a platform & if u unclip in the corners its a bitch to glip back in..

& the mallet pedals are way to heavy..

BMXR'

Likes Bikes
time z pedals are nice, heaps of float and easy to use. they feel like flats cus you can move around and not clip out easy, but i don't know if you can try to stay with flats, good way to piss people of if you bet them on flats.......

mike-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Time z pedals are the ONLY way to go for BMX.

Once you get stronger and put more effort out of the gate I could pull out of my Shimano DX pedals tightened all the way.

The Time z's have been great, no complaints at all.