Races for beginners?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Hey folks,

I'm a lad in my 30's who has just taken up MTB in the last few months!
I've been riding trail and single track like mt Annan, manly dam and Hornsby, and really enjoying it.
I used to race competitive short circuit motorbikes but due to a number of reasons that's no longer an option.

I'd consider myself 'reasonably' fit, I can run 15k road races, do 5-6 days in the gym etc.

Are there any races that new folk like me can race in around the sydney area? How are riders classified? Is it all serious or can anyone who is up for it just race?

Cheers
Johnny

Clyde Dave

Likes Dirt
Not really the Sydney area but, Chocolate Foots Singletrack Mind series has a chilled out atmosphere that caters for all levels and ages.

notime

Likes Dirt
WSMTB Summer 4 hour race 3 is on a Mt Annan this Saturday if you have some lights.

Just jump in and do it.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Check out the Rocky Trail Entertainment MTB GP series coming up - the first race is at Awaba in just over a week you can pick and choose your races or do the whole series, alone or in a team. All venues are easily reachable from Sydney - Awaba is only about 1:30 up the F3

Other than that local club races cater to all abilities, The Central Coast Club, HMBA (Hunter) and Western Sydney will all run cheap club races about once a month not sure what's happening at clubs south of Syd but someone will post on here. It's generally self seeded grading with faster riders in higher grades doing more laps that slower riders in lower grades. You can enter any club race even if you aren't a member, you need to pay a day licence fee for your MTBA cover if you aren't a member of any club tho ($20 or so). If you join a club, it includes MTBA membership but you are still welcome at all other clubs for racing - you aren't limited to the one you join.

In general MTB is a super friendly scene, you get everyone from elites to first-timers on the same track with next-to-no issues.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Cheers dudes, great info and advice! Think i'll join a club, always good to help out to keep a sport going with a bit of monetary help.

Ill check out the upcoming events, be nice to enter a few races to keep the interest and motivation up!

I'm living in the inner west so ill be happy to travel anywhere within 2 hours for events!

bike182mtb

Likes Dirt
Western Sydney mountain bike club rounds

Hi in the Sydney area western Sydney is a great place to start .as they have 5 levels a,b,c,d,and novice .at there club rounds .a grade do 5 laps of a 5/6 km track with b grade doing 1 lap less .and c 3 laps and d 2 laps .and novice doing two laps of the same track but with the technical bits taken out.by your fitness level you would be competive in c grade .if your skill level is down a bit maybe d grade .each race takes about 1 hour 15 mins ( d and novice a bit less) .the club is a friendly place and if you want to know more head to the web site wsmtb.com or you can ring me on 0435144697 .next race is the 16th march .dave

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Southern Highlands Cycle Club holds XC races regularly throughout the year. We have access to three tracks: Welby, Wingello and McGee's Twin Falls. You'd be most welcome to come and join with us any time. When not racing there is generally a group that leave at 600pm from Welby cemetery on a Friday afternoon. From there we can ride Welby xc track or we also ride some other local fireroad and other single tracks. Again all welcome.

Why not come and ride either the 25km or 50km or 75km Willo on March 10? This would be a great way to experience a fantastic event, ride the trails at Wingello and get to meet some great club people from SHCC and CORC.

mtb5150

Likes Dirt
Hi in the Sydney area western Sydney is a great place to start .as they have 5 levels a,b,c,d,and novice .at there club rounds .a grade do 5 laps of a 5/6 km track with b grade doing 1 lap less .and c 3 laps and d 2 laps .and novice doing two laps of the same track but with the technical bits taken out.by your fitness level you would be competive in c grade .if your skill level is down a bit maybe d grade .each race takes about 1 hour 15 mins ( d and novice a bit less) .the club is a friendly place and if you want to know more head to the web site wsmtb.com or you can ring me on 0435144697 .next race is the 16th march .dave
+1 for this. I am an unfit MTB hack and joint WSMTB a few years ago and they are friendly helpful and the races are great fun on a good track.