Racing advice

troubledutchy

Likes Bikes
Just started riding downhill a couple of weeks ago and the bug has bitten hard, I'm dead to keen to give some racing ago and was thinking of racing in the gravity cup at stromlo in the sport division. I've had some people tell me I should wait a bit longer till i start racing, but I'm just looking for some advice from the greater community? I've raced some XC before, been riding DH a couple of times a week for about 3 weeks, should I just jump in head first?

Mtb1speed

Likes Dirt
Hey bud, just my 2c worth. Give it ago if you know your limits - but if your not sure of your limits keep the practice up a bit. Take that with a grain of salt though, I'm an enduro rider who doesn't have the balls to try DH.

T-Rex

Template denier
I suggest you start with a club race, rather than a National round.

Plus I would not call Stromlo a beginner track.

Ourimbah is close to you (Northern Beaches of Sydney, right?), and our Club series starts next month, and it's a beginner friendly track. Check the link in my sig for the calendar.

driftking

Wheel size expert
It really depends on if you are happy to go and ride for the fun of it or if you want to be competitive.
Most the time someone starting in the sport will have trouble been competitive at a national level, I say most the time because if you are already physically trained or a quick learner you might be a rare rider who does well off the bat.

There is nothing wrong with you entering a national round although the level of riding is significantly greater than that of a state or club round, more so it is a more serious atmosphere so you may find it to be less chilled than you would like and you may feel over your head in terms of your level vs other racers. I dont want to discourage anyone from racing but it may be a good idea to start at a club round or wait till state (a good 5months away) mainly as it might be a bit more relaxed and a lighter more enjoyable atmosphere for a beginner.

I think if you are whilling to race a national and really dont care what place you come and you feel you may be able to keep up with the pace then by all means go ahead it is always great to see more riders coming into the sport, no one should be discouraged from racing though it may be more beneficial or appealing for the riders to race a lower level prior. At the national level you also tend to find due to the increased serious competition if you are out of yor depth riders may become angry if you are slowing them down or affecting there ability to race at full potential.

A club round will be very relaxed with a good introduction for racing.

But as mentioned if you feel you can and want to race the national do it.

troubledutchy

Likes Bikes
Cheers for the advice guys. I just watched the trailer for the new top half of the stromlo track, starting to think i should wait and do a cluby first, due to the fact that the tracks i've been riding on (oxford falls & warrimoo) aren't that techy so i probably won't be up to speed in the rocky/ off-camber stuff and will just end up slowing some people down. Only down side is that on the 13th Feb i have to go away for 6 weeks for work and i was dead keen to get a race in before i leave :( Oh well, more time to get the fitness up i guess...

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
Why wait for a club round? the tracks will still be the same tracks. the only issue will be what your personal expectations are. if you wanna have fun and try it out and not worry about the result then enter any race you can and gain the experience. there are lots of riders out there that enter state and national rounds that would be considered "out of their league" because it may be the only chance to ride certain tracks.

Mate its all about fun, if you want it to be, or it can be all about winning. but the track is the track race day or not.

have fun and good luck

Myad

Likes Bikes
I currently feel the same way, I just got into downhilling and it grab hold instantly. I now want to race and will be in April, I just know not to push myself to hard for both my bike and mine own sake ;)

troubledutchy

Likes Bikes
Well, I have decided not to race the Nat's just yet. Going to start out with some cluby's and see if I can hold my own first. I think the next one is with wsmtb out at k-town, any thoughts? If that goes well I'll probably give ourimbah a shot