Rainy day boys bonza build.

moorey

call me Mia
So, since he was about 8, my boy has been on duallies. Rode his sisters HT once for a race and wasn't that keen, but that was 12 months ago.

Today, he and a HT mate swapped bikes for a while...and he quite like it for a change.
Was pissing down this arvo after the ride...I was bored and have parts just laying around, including frame (Waldog), forks (Rone) and some sweet drivetrain, thanks to Sossy recently.

Best part, Felix was super keen to build for the first time. He loves riding, and is always interested in changes I've made or suggested, but was never that keen to get on the tools.
Anyhoo, he chose parts where possible, and helped with most of the build. Really happy with the result, and even better, he's really proud of the job, and asking if he can help with future bike work. :woot:

FRAME: Kenesis Virsa decade 15". (Thanks Waldog)
FORK: Currently 120mm Reba team, 20mm axle (Thanks Rone). Thinking of swap to revs though.
HEADSET: Chris King
WHEELS: Black Flag pro 26"
TYRES: Icon 2.2 TR, 3C, EXO
CRANKS: XT (sossy)
DERAILLEUR: XT middy shadow + (sossy)
CASSETTE: XT 11-36 (sossy)
SHIFTER: XT (sossy)
CHAIN: XT
BRAKES: SLX
CHAINRING: Fouriers NW 32t
BARS: Renthal Fatbar 740mm
PEDALS: Wellgo spry

EDIT: UPDATED BITS....

Got a nice low stack stem from wkkie, allowing me to now fit my favorite set of white 20mm, revelation race. Added a bit of extra neg air, to make them sit at about 130mm :woot:

Felix rig.jpg

Last edited:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
You sound like a proud dad moorey, and rightly so. I wish my son would be more keen on riding with me (working on it) and also that I had that much stuff lying around that I could build a bike on a rainy day!

Look forward to seeing the pics of Felix's build quality...

moorey

call me Mia
You sound like a proud dad moorey, and rightly so. I wish my son would be more keen on riding with me (working on it) and also that I had that much stuff lying around that I could build a bike on a rainy day!

Look forward to seeing the pics of Felix's build quality...
Cheers man. Proud AF. Not just with his build efforts, but the way he approaches his riding. Gives 100% in races, and not intimated about riding XC, trail or DH with the adults.

He lined up against behemoth kids in under 13's state final of the Vic School Cycling Championships on his trail orientated duallie on Saturday. Pushed that hard he almost spewed, only to just miss a top 3. Soon after, it was discovered that the winner was over 13 years old, so felix was bumped up to 3rd place on the podium. Youve never seen a happier kid, not that he was disappointed with a strong 4th.

Pics up.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Nice build, the bike looks sweet. Nice angles for aggressive riding, will there be some airborne pics soon? What is wrong with the dropper? It looks jammed.

moorey

call me Mia
Nice build, the bike looks sweet. Nice angles for aggressive riding, will there be some airborne pics soon? What is wrong with the dropper? It looks jammed.
On the hunt for another 27.2 dropper. Loaned him my Thomson off the orange now....but a man has to draw a line somewhere :hand:
It's not a weenie build, what with steel frame, and old model Reba weighing almost as much as pikes, but he's riding it like he stole it ever second he gets, and taking it on a club race tomorrow instead of a duallie.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
On the hunt for another 27.2 dropper. Loaned him my Thomson off the orange now....but a man has to draw a line somewhere :hand:
It's not a weenie build, what with steel frame, and old model Reba weighing almost as much as pikes, but he's riding it like he stole it ever second he gets, and taking it on a club race tomorrow instead of a duallie.
Good on him! The angles look ready for jumping, which can only end in big smiles. Too often I come across young peeps, who's parents were fooled by the shop, trying to rail the jumps on very much the wrong bike.

poita

Likes Dirt
Mint, although he'll never be able to buy a new bike now.... Pocket money going to online stores with a parts pile bigger than dad's coming right up

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Nice rig.

Who's in the medical profession? (I have many of those steel scissors with one blue ring around the house too. :p)

dano_mtb

Likes Dirt
WOW!! That frame gets around.

That was my frame from years ago, I purchased it online like six years ago I think. It was the first mountain that I built up from frame. I can tell because its got the sticker I put on with the "biking evolution men" on the top tube,lol

I'm glad the frame is still alive and being passed on to the younger generation of pinners.

BTW your bike looks mint!

Attachments

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Nicely done. I was going to say something like he looks just like you, only taller but that would be rude. So I won't.

moorey

call me Mia
WOW!! That frame gets around.

That was my frame from years ago, I purchased it online like six years ago I think. It was the first mountain that I built up from frame. I can tell because its got the sticker I put on with the "biking evolution men" on the top tube,lol

I'm glad the frame is still alive and being passed on to the younger generation of pinners.

BTW your bike looks mint!
I got it off Waldog about 18 months ago....thought he'd owned since new....but never asked. ''Tis a great little bike. It was originally planned for a mates son, but was a bit long. So glad I held onto it.

moorey

call me Mia
Now with updated forks and new stem. Funnduro stem and 20mm axle Revelation race with a bit of extra neg air to make them sit at about 130mm. :woot:

Felix rig.jpg

I took it out for about a 20km trail ride this morning....no problem fitting on this. Are you saying I'm short?

The steel gives it a noticeably softer ride than alloy hardtails if tried to like recently. This is such a fun little bike...I'll definitely be fighting my boy of rides on it :behindsofa: