Raw for the Weight Weenies?

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whilst scrolling throught the Orange bikes website yesterday, I read that the reason they leave weights out of the catalogue, is that they do custom paint jobs. Apparently a coat of paint can weigh as much as 80gms.

Is raw the new colour for lycra bandits and downhill elites?

Fisher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dust and grit weighs alot too... keep those bikes clean
End Sarcasm

Last edited:
Haha, very funny guys, but seriously, doesnt the raw finish just look so much cooler? Plus, if you could cut down on a few grams... maybe it's not such a silly idea. Anyone got any info? And plus, if anyone has any idea on a raw finish for chromoly frames that'd be appreciated aswell. :p
Tay.

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
And your legs will get stronger with the extra riding you'll do instead of weighing up stupid shit like this..

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im not overly interested in weight saving BS but I saw on MTBR that a member stripped the frame of a 224 and saved 45 grams.

Also it looks gross unless you polish it

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And your legs will get stronger with the extra riding you'll do instead of weighing up stupid shit like this..
Gotta get off the bike sometime :rolleyes: as you'll see my post was at 10.35PM.

Also on the idea, Rennie's new morewood is clearcoated raw..

EDIT: E-fights are stupid... back on topic.

Last edited:

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
The anodized versions of most frames are lighter than the painted version, especially if they do nice multiple layer primer plus base, painting with a proper clearcoat on top.

Really only relevant in weight weenie land though.

For the folks who tune with Ti, Alu and plastic bolts where possible, run tubeless, have sub 250g saddles, cut down seat poles etc etc.

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Gotta get off the bike sometime :rolleyes: as you'll see my post was at 13.35PM.

Also on the idea, Rennie's new morewood is clearcoated raw..
Well considering that's 1:35 in the arvo I see no reason to be off the bike??

And that clearcoat might save him 10 - 20g over the pigmented version, wow??

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well considering that's 1:35 in the arvo I see no reason to be off the bike??

And that clearcoat might save him 10 - 20g over the pigmented version, wow??
If you aren't going to contribute say your little goodbyes and we'll see you in another thread.

I'm not asking the question for me, I was sharing with Farkin something I saw that other mightn't have. Pro level XC racers (allegedly) want to lose every gram they can.

crazy-man

Likes Dirt
whatever you do be careful. raw metal corrodes and you can't see when a clear coat comes off. i think the 08 ano norcos were 50-80 grams lighter than the painted ones.

Lorday

Eats Squid
Still on topic, how much would you save (minus the surgeries and dental bills) if you drilled holes in your frame?

Polished bikes look the shiz, unless its a mountain cycles bicycle in which case it then looks like a pimped out kent/huffy.
*insert picture of that guys polished IH sunday*

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^ A guy on observed trials did that to his trials bike... drilled everything he could... including hubs (ZOMG! :eek:)

+ Pro xcers ride carbon bikes... which i dont think need any paint at all.

Benzy

Likes Dirt
Still on topic, how much would you save (minus the surgeries and dental bills) if you drilled holes in your frame?

Polished bikes look the shiz, unless its a mountain cycles bicycle in which case it then looks like a pimped out kent/huffy.
*insert picture of that guys polished IH sunday*
Speed holes! :D

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
^ A guy on observed trials did that to his trials bike... drilled everything he could... including hubs (ZOMG! :eek:)

+ Pro xcers ride carbon bikes... which i dont think need any paint at all.
Ha, now that's excessive. As for the carbon, you don't need paint, but some sort of resin coating is essential as the carbon is easily damaged if it's bare.

Tallman

Likes Dirt
...As for the carbon, you don't need paint, but some sort of resin coating is essential as the carbon is easily damaged if it's bare.
Correct.

If carbon isn't coated in some special resin coating and baked, all the carbon will just seperate and peel away - not cool.