Rawing a frame??

mxwill63

Likes Dirt
Hey guys was just thinking about rawing my 2010 Giant brass frame and i was just wondering how you actually do it????:confused:

i know this is probably a stupid question but i was just wondering as ive been questioning whether to use paint stripper or if wet and dry (sandpaper) would be the go.

Please give me your opinions on what method you used and how long roughly it took to get the job done. Pics of the bike when rawed would be great help aswell :D

Hers a pic of the bike aswell....

opinions on whether i should raw it or not would be appreciated aswell :D

Cheers, Will

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
do you want the shiny finish or kinda rusted look?
the two main ways of doing it are:
use paint stripper and then sand paper to finish it off
and
sand blast it, you will have to get this profesionlay done.

just make sure you put a clear coat on it after!

mxwill63

Likes Dirt
do you want the shiny finish or kinda rusted look?
the two main ways of doing it are:
use paint stripper and then sand paper to finish it off
and
sand blast it, you will have to get this profesionlay done.

just make sure you put a clear coat on it after!
Hey mate cheers and im looking to go for the whole shiny effect, which of these techniques should i use? Or are all ok to get the same effect?

Cheers

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sand blast would be by far the easiest option but not the most cost efficient, you may also need to run over it a little with sand paper after to get a nice clean finish.
both of them would give you a shiny finish as long as you put a clear coat on it after to stop it rusting (or what ever is called that alloy gets left out in the wheather)

I stripped back my STP frame a while ago and to save time and energy i used paint stripper with some fine metal wool to scrap back the paint.
This method seemed to work a treat! and it gives a nice natural metal look. If you would like it shiny then just give it a polish after all the paint is stripped.

A few tips.
- Take your time around welds and tight spots as these places are much more difficult strip then paint from and if it hasn't been done right it looks quite nasty.
-Wear chemical gloves cause paint stripper is very painful if you get it on your skin.

ozgti

Likes Dirt
I got my FSR frame rawed then clear coated, but they did a shoddy job. They were in Five Dock from memory. I'd do it again, strip my Haro frame back and clear coat. I used paint stripper and a karcher to get the paint off.