Real world Fuel consumption

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Wifey's 2010 CR-V 2.4 liter 4 cylinder, 6 speed manual.
9.0 - 9.5 / 100 on freeway.
11.0 - 13.0 around town (!!)

My 2002 Falcon ute 4 liter I6, 4 speed AT.
Dunno....still working it out the old fashioned way...but I think it's near 11.0 / 100 combined....

Yet1

Likes Dirt
Hilux SR5 MY2016 2.8 turbo diesel
Pure highway about 9.0 l/100km or a bit below
Urban (Brisbane driving) about 11.0 l/100km

It has:
Canopy (recent so not sure on impact)
Aggressive all terrains
Steel bar
Dual battery etc
Flat rack and awning are usually hanging from the rafters under the house where I park the car
Lift with some sweet shocks

Not doing as well as the Amarok obviously. I blame the damn DPF for the poor urban economy.

I loved the simplicity of my last car (FJ cruiser). Aerodynamics of a fridge, 4L V6 and all the off road kit that I don't need anymore with 2 kids. Got 14l/100k around town and no different on the highway ! Lucky it had a 190L tank.

I have the same ute - 2016 SR5 turbo diesel - except no canopy. Are your figures from the readout on the display, or calculated from km driven and fuel volume put into the tank? I have noticed that I get better fuel economy than displayed on the digital readout - I'll get around 8.0L/100km country driving and around 9.5-10L/100km around town (Melbourne) as calculated from zeroing the trip meter at a refuel and seeing how many litres go in the next refuel. Worth noting that it is not as fuel efficient as my previous gen 2012 SR5 Hilux with the 3.0L turbo diesel.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I have the same ute - 2016 SR5 turbo diesel - except no canopy. Are your figures from the readout on the display, or calculated from km driven and fuel volume put into the tank? I have noticed that I get better fuel economy than displayed on the digital readout - I'll get around 8.0L/100km country driving and around 9.5-10L/100km around town (Melbourne) as calculated from zeroing the trip meter at a refuel and seeing how many litres go in the next refuel. Worth noting that it is not as fuel efficient as my previous gen 2012 SR5 Hilux with the 3.0L turbo diesel.
My readout is always within a poofteenth of that which I calculate when I fill up.

Is yours a manual or auto ? Do you have the bull bar, lift etc also ?

Some people seem to get better economy than others and obviously driving conditions/congestion play a big part of that. Could be variations between vehicles also. I've got larger tyres so that may play a part also (directly and indirectly). My figures are with the soft tonneau as I only fitted the canopy a few weeks ago.

My work car is a 2012 SR 4x4 3.0 and it gets around 10L/100k no matter where/how you drive it. New one is much nicer to drive ....

Yet1

Likes Dirt
My readout is always within a poofteenth of that which I calculate when I fill up.

Is yours a manual or auto ? Do you have the bull bar, lift etc also ?

Some people seem to get better economy than others and obviously driving conditions/congestion play a big part of that. Could be variations between vehicles also. I've got larger tyres so that may play a part also (directly and indirectly). My figures are with the soft tonneau as I only fitted the canopy a few weeks ago.

My work car is a 2012 SR 4x4 3.0 and it gets around 10L/100k no matter where/how you drive it. New one is much nicer to drive ....
Mine is an auto, with no other mods (bull bar/lift etc) and the factory road orientated tyres. Maybe I drive mine more like a nanna!

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Got a Dodge Challenger for a week
19L per 100. Pretty low for a rental :)

But my own car is a 2018 manual diesel hilux
7L per 100 on the highway
9L around town.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
Drive it less than 45km and it's only electrons
Flat battery at highway speeds around 6.5-7l/100km
Lifetime average currently 3.2l/100km, coming off the back of a couple of lengthy road trips.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
4L straight 6 turbo. 420rkw, manual. Ron98. Ute with hard lid.

12.2L combined per 100km
Town circa 17L
Freeway 8.6 to 9.2L
Spirited driving: high.
Worked off its tits 1994 540i in the hands of a teenager, 65L gone in about 2 hours. Somehow I didn't kill myself.

MasterOfReality

After forever
2017 Mazda CX9, 2.5 litre turbo petrol 4, auto:

City: 14-16 l/100km
Mixed: 12
Highway: mid 8's

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara, 2 litre petrol 4, manual, lift kit, bfg at's and bash plates:

City: 12 l/100km
Mixed: 10
Highway: 9

1991 VP Calais, 5 litre 180kw v8, auto, baby cam:

City: 23 l/100km
Mixed: 16
Highway: 10

I used to have a second gen Mazda 3 MPS, and that was awesome on fuel (low 8 on highway) but could drink like a v8 the moment you opened her up.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Discovery 4 SDV6 3.0l

12-13l/100kms in town.

8l/100kms on highway.

Add 1l when on Bridgestone Desert Dueller LTs. And another 1-2l when towing 1.8t caravan. Note: can pull said caravan and 4 people up hill at 120km/h.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
Drive it less than 45km and it's only electrons
Flat battery at highway speeds around 6.5-7l/100km
Lifetime average currently 3.2l/100km, coming off the back of a couple of lengthy road trips.
How does it drive?
Am I right that the battery lasts 54ks? Does the battery recharge when the petrol takes over? Sorry I’m a Hybrid noob.

Rider_of_Bikes

Likes Dirt
2003 Toyota Echo 3 door, 1.5L 4 cyclinder, 5 speed manual, 350,000km on the clock.
4.5-5 /100km on country roads
No idea in the city- we live in the country.

1996 Holden Rodeo 4x4, some 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual, canopy, bull bar, roof racks, bike stickers,
No idea. But it rarely leaves the valley and shifts bikes and firewood well.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
How does it drive?
Am I right that the battery lasts 54ks? Does the battery recharge when the petrol takes over? Sorry I’m a Hybrid noob.
Quoted battery range on the 2014 version was 52km, I think the newer model is 54km. Anyway the only way you'd get that is by driving at 50kph on a dead flat road with AC/ Heater etc switched off. 40-45km is realistic depending on terrain, speed and ambient temperature.

Otherwise it drives very nicely. Obviously very quiet and smooth on the battery, and acceleration is completely linear in contrast to a regular drivetrain. Boot your right foot and the engine kicks in to provide more oomph, but it's pretty easy keep it solely on electrons. There's no gearbox in the drivetrain, so the engine runs on a fixed ratio tuned to give max economy with the rev range dictated to some extent by power requirements. However if the engine is running, and it's generating more power than is required to turn the wheels (which it basically does the whole time once you are up to speed, provided you aren't tackling a reasonable hill) it shunts the excess into charging the battery. So yes, the battery recharges when the petrol takes over, and the car switches back and forth between battery and engine as required.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
7.5L per 100km i think it works out to ish.

530km on a tank, 70L tank, so that's like 530km divided by 70L yes?

idk my maths game has always been weak so i'm probably wrong.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
7.5L per 100km i think it works out to ish.

530km on a tank, 70L tank, so that's like 530km divided by 70L yes?

idk my maths game has always been weak so i'm probably wrong.
70/(530/100) = 13.2 L Per 100k

Not quite as good as 7.5 !!

mark22

Likes Dirt
I opened this thread as a mate with a V6 Amarok is getting 12.5 average for all driving. Yes 12.5 average including plenty of freeway driving. So 2.5-4.5l/100 worse than mine. Only real difference is he's on AT's and carrying 350kg of crap around.

He's getting up to 50% worse fuel economy than me. Sounds weird huh.
Economy is directly linked to your right foot, wonder how you would go if you swapped vehicles for a week.
I constantly see dudes in 4wds driving them like they are in a sporty sedan or at least trying too.

V6 Aurion 7.2 hwy 8.5 city you could easily double this by putting the boot in.
Patrol 4.2 turbo intercooler avg 10.5 loaded with canopy winch, bullbar.
Typical diesel does not suffer to much economy wise in the bush compared to a petrol.