Really, another Nomad? Yawn

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shirley maybe in a month or so you could stay in town and head down south with us . Just waiting on my new bike and Ill need a few weeks to get in ALLMOUNTAIN shape .

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shirley maybe in a month or so you could stay in town and head down south with us . Just waiting on my new bike and Ill need a few weeks to get in ALLMOUNTAIN shape .
Sounds good :) did you go for the new Bronson?

Down at the mont at the moment. Switched shocks out to the Inline, feels good. Maybe a bit more lovely and poppy then the Vivid. Just got it back from getting a service from NSD, asked them to put a tune in for a Nomad, I have no idea what settings are in it, but it feels nice.
It's def a little bit of work, or more work the a XC sled on the uphills but holy shit this thing rips down. F&&king sick.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds good :) did you go for the new Bronson?

Down at the mont at the moment. Switched shocks out to the Inline, feels good. Maybe a bit more lovely and poppy then the Vivid. Just got it back from getting a service from NSD, asked them to put a tune in for a Nomad, I have no idea what settings are in it, but it feels nice.
It's def a little bit of work, or more work the a XC sled on the uphills but holy shit this thing rips down. F&&king sick.
Wicked , yep bronson . Just give me a few weeks .

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, survived the Mont. A mate on my team was also using my bike so all up the Nomad did 9 laps and didnt miss a beat. it felt very good, so smooth, could sit down nearly the whole way and just roll into/onto every root and rock and it just soaked it up. So comfortable. It went down the hills awesome, jumped very good and just smashed over a very rutted course with ease.

I did a lap on my mates new V2 bronson and was surprised how much easier it felt to pedal then the Nomad, it felt a lot snappier, I am aware this could just be the nature of his frame being more of a trail bike then the Nomad, and also he is 20kg heavier then me with psi setup accordingly, also I didn't realize the rear was in trail mode until the last descent of the course. Still, I'm curious as to whether my Nomad setup is sacrificing pedal-ability for plushness/softness. I might re visit my suspension settings to see if I can make it more pedal friendly with out losing out to much on the descents, but not sure where to start as yet. Im not even sure what I am going to do re rear suspension choice.

So in the end I have left the Mont stoked as with this bike, but also have questions hanging over suspension setup. Having said that I'll be in Thredbo in 3 weekends time and want it to be perfect for that. At the end of the day it's probably impossible to get a bike that is going to feel efficient enough for a 24hr XC race AND then go to lift assisted gravity, having it plush and take the big hits well, all with the same setup. But I'm going to tinker away and see if I can find the correct compromise for my riding style.

Didnt take many pics but we def had a little bit of Santa Cruz Fan boyness going on. Out of 7 bikes in our 2 teams, 5 were Santa Cruzs, 3x V1 Bronsons, 1 V2 Brony and my Nomad. Talk about 'all the gear and no idea!'

Attachments

Last edited:

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
didn't hold up at all, and it makes for a bike that feels too light. oh well...
Sorry to hear they didn't work or for you! I'm sorta surprised, your not much heavier then me and your rims aren't crazy narrow. But maybe you just ride 1000x harder then me, I'm a bit of a pansy haha. But can a bike really feel too light? My old V10 came in at 15kgs, took a little bit of riding style change coming from a 18kg DH bike but was def worth the adjustment of riding style for the extra flick-ability or whatever you want to call it, each to their own however :)

You can always keep them as emergency spares in case of a rip/tear.

Last edited:

Cave001

Likes Bikes
i bet the guy in the photo was pretty happy with his experience after testing out the nomad for a lap :nod:

Dilstub

Likes Dirt
Sorry to hear they didn't work or for you! I'm sorta surprised, your not much heavier then me and your rims aren't crazy narrow. But maybe you just ride 1000x harder then me, I'm a bit of a pansy haha. But can a bike really feel too light? My old V10 came in at 15kgs, took a little bit of riding style change coming from a 18kg DH bike but was def worth the adjustment of riding style for the extra flick-ability or whatever you want to call it, each to their own however :)

You can always keep them as emergency spares in case of a rip/tear.
Haha I noticed it felt a fair bit lighter, I got 180 bunnyhops on it by the middle of saturday's ride.
When pushing it in techy stuff though, it felt like it wouldn't hold a line quite as well and didn't take to slow techy climbs well.
I've since got some supergravity magic marys back on, and it feels much better. Not quite as fast uphill as before, but still incredibly quick for such a capable rig.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, I'm the biggest wanker I know. Still don't know if I can bring myself to put them on yet.....

Also, have replacement front rim on the way from Light Bicycle, no questions asked.

Off to Thredbo this weekend, can't wait to see how the Nomad goes.
I've bought a 350lb SLS coil for a DHX2 but havent found a shock yet, update model just came out with a climb switch...interesting...

Attachments

Z

Zaf

That rim replacement is amazing! Top quality service hearing that, feel good about buying mine every time I see that happen.

Should have got them to throw in some of their new Decal kits with it! :D

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, not many updates. Except I smashed my rear rim at Thredbo, do'h!
So light bicycle crash replacement policy is 15% off, oh yay. Still, $200 for a rim ain't bad. They are going to send my replacement rim with my warranty rim to save postage costs for me.

Also, I chickened out putting Enve stickers on, I get so much shit from my buddies having Chinese carbon wheels, I couldn't imagine the crap that would ensue with Enve stickers. So I've had some LB stickers mocked up from NLD designs on Facebook that will work well.

I've been tossing around what to do with forks, I thought maybe a Lyrik up front would be good, with 180 travel but adjustable down to 160mm, 180 for Thredbo (and the like) and 160 for my normal trail riding. Turns out that won't work, the dual air can only lower 30mm (not 20) and the lower setting is only for climbing and not everyday riding. And also the dual air doesn't have as good as small bump sensitivity due to it not having the same size negative chamber (as the solo air).
So that leaves the Fox 36 Talas, but I'm not a fan of gold stanchions (lame,but....whatever). There is the new performance elite which has black stancions, but that's only OE. And I'm not sure the Talas can go 180/160.
So that sorta leaves a 180 Lyrik Solo air, just not sure how sucky that will make the uphills.
Or maybe I should just leave the 160 Pike on and be happy.

Last edited:

stoo

Likes Dirt
Just bloody buy the 180 Lyriks, I have a set on the Rune and they're ace. Uphills? on a 180 / 160 bike I'm not getting outta the saddle for climbs so no problem. To be honest there's not a huge difference on climbs between this bike and the Pike 160 / 150 bike anyhoo....

Z

Zaf

180mm without a 20mm TA, don't do it!!
I know, I know, torque caps, second best solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

slowmick

38-39"
i had 130/160mm fox talas forks on my enduro. i hated them. 160 was great. 130 felt like i'd swapped out the 26" wheel for a 24" wheel with a flat front. it seemed to make climbing worse. I have moved these forks over to my hardtail and they feel exactly the same - shit.

i'd rather have a 160mm forward and squash my fat gut leaning over to keep the front wheel on the ground than use the Talas.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Why don't you just meet in the middle and get a 170mm Fox 36? I'm sure you'll get over the Kashima look for the sake of a better fork.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So here is my handy work from Thredbo.
And my sticker design, going for the lower one. Going to have 2 stickers per rim side, in opposing/opposite colors.

And, how not to ride....
[video=youtube;9HZsyP47AHA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HZsyP47AHA[/video]

Attachments

Last edited:

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why don't you just meet in the middle and get a 170mm Fox 36? I'm sure you'll get over the Kashima look for the sake of a better fork.
Yeah, there is always the 170 option, was just dreaming of having my cake and eating it to with a 160/180 setup, I think that would work well with the Nomad as you'd be staying within SC's recommended length no matter what height you were at. If you had a 160 bike and you were dropping it down to 130mm I could understand how it could feel weird and mess up the handling.

Most of my riding is at Orange which is XCish, but with a few fun descents thrown in, my worry with going 180 is I'll setting the bike up for 10% of my riding and make the other 90% more sucky then it needs to be.
Anyway, I've got a question into Fox at the moment asking if the 36 Talas can do 160/180, so will see what they say. MTB direct have the Lyrik for $1180 at the moment which is very competitive, I'm tempted to sell the pike off, just go the Lyrik 180, and if it's too long, change the shaft thingo down to 170, or 160 depending.
And I haven't read into how the torque caps work, I'll do some research!

Markee

Likes Dirt
I've just finished my Nomad with a Lyrik 180/150 Dual so once ridden I can give you some feedback.
Hopefully get out this weekend but not in anger as still recovering from an OTB on the last ride on the Remedy. Keep you posted.

PS. Got raped on the Lyrik price from C.R. But theme the breaks as they say!