Really, really upright bikes for girls

Binaural

Eats Squid
So, my girlfriend is starting to ride to work regularly, which is awesome. I've set up one of my old bikes, and I'm getting a good chuckle out of watching my old Evil being turned into a commuter hack.

Problem is, she broke her neck when she was a teenager (long story) and while she's got no lingering health problems, she does have a slightly stiff neck that aches really badly when she leans forward even a bit to ride a bike. What she really needs is a euro-style bike, where she can sit bolt upright and be queen of all she surveys. I've managed to find one possiblity so far - http://www.merida.com.au/en_au/bike/2011/101/City+Bike/City+3.0 - but would appreciate any tips from anyone who knows about these things (i.e. not me).

Racks, mudguards and protected chains are big pluses. Ideally, something like an 8-speed version of something like that Merida would be the business. Thanks!

0psi

Eats Squid
If her route to work is reasonably flat look for a cruiser style bike. The only catch is if you are too upright you wreak your lower back, so you'll need to try and find the right balance for her.

T-Rex

Template denier
Assuming the top tube on your old bike isn't too long for her, have you considered just a short stem and a bar with a large rise (I'm picturing something like a BMX bar, not an ape hanger) to get her more upright, rather than a complete new bike?