Rear shock noise - Fox 32

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Guys,

I've been doing some upgrades on my Anthem 29er after a few years of fairly solid use. I've replaced the Fox evolution fork internals and installed a fit 4 damper, replaced all the suspension bearings with Enduro bearings, and replaced my BB. I also did a seal/oil change on my rear shock which is a Fox Float evolution. I have a slight knocking noise each time the rear shock compresses and this was there before I changed the bearings. I was 90% sure this is where it was coming from and this has been confirmed since changing the swing arm bearings. I'm not sure if the noise is stiction or noise from the internal damper. A couple of questions: Are the float evolution rear shocks as shit as the Evolution forks? Are the Evolution shocks inherently noisy? Any recommendations for a replacement? Servicing the damper isn't an option as the cost is almost as much as the shock itself.

Cheers
C

teK--

Eats Squid
Yes the Evo shocks as shit as the Evo forks. Habe you checked the shock bushings maybe need to be replaced?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Is it just the DU bushing ? If you lift your saddle up with the bike sitting on its own weight only, is there a clunk / play ?

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes the Evo shocks as shit as the Evo forks. Habe you checked the shock bushings maybe need to be replaced?
I'll have a look at the bushings. TBH, I didn't look that closely but I don't remember there being any play in the bottom bush, not sure about the top one.

Any suggestions for a replacement shock?

Thanks
C

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well there is no bush in the bottom on the Anthem only the top of the shock.
Do you mean the nylon bush which the top connection bolt goes through?

I disconnected the top bolt, put a screw driver through the rod eye and pushed down and I could only replicate the noise when I dropped the pressure in the shock enough to move the piston slightly.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The top bushing wears out much quicker than the bottom. Jiggle the bike up and down with a finger touching the shock eye and the alloy reducers at the same time. If you can feel any slight play at all then your bushing is shot. Usually this doesn't make any noise though.

Alternately, throw your evolution shock into the neighbor's yard for their dogs to chew and buy any other shock.

Last edited:

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The top bushing wears out much quicker than the bottom. Jiggle the bike up and down with a finger touching the shock eye and the alloy reducers at the same time. If you can feel any slight play at all then your bushing is shot. Usually this doesn't make any noise though.

Alternately, throw your evolution shock into the neighbor's yard for their dogs to chew and buy any other shock.
I'm looking for a reason to toss it... Would make decent pipe bomb!

EvFlow

Likes Bikes
I disconnected the top bolt, put a screw driver through the rod eye and pushed down and I could only replicate the noise when I dropped the pressure in the shock enough to move the piston slightly.

Just a quick check,I know you say it's in the shock but anthem 29 are prone to cracking at the top tube and seat tube junction, I've gone through 4 and when they crack the creaks come from everywhere.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a quick check,I know you say it's in the shock but anthem 29 are prone to cracking at the top tube and seat tube junction, I've gone through 4 and when they crack the creaks come from everywhere.
I did look at that, but all ok. the noise is there when you push from the pedals, or even holding the down tube and seat tube and making the shock move. I disconnected the top shock mount and suck the bolt in and locked out the suspension with a spanner in place of the shock. No noise coming from any of the bearings or frame. The bottom bushing has no play so this is ruled out. I'm 95% sure it's stiction from either the air seals or more likely the damper. Can get a 2015 Fox factory for $300 which I'm pretty sure will drop straight in.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have had plenty of issues in the past with fox shocks clunking, exactly like a worn du bush but turning out to be a damper issue. Got a couple replaced under warranty. They were rp3 shocks but

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
So noise is on compression, shock is happily returning to the sag point and not topping out? Remove the air can and bolt it back up and hunt for the noise. Place a solid tool like a big handled screwdriver on your ear and touch the tip in different locations, this will help pinpoint the noise

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So noise is on compression, shock is happily returning to the sag point and not topping out? Remove the air can and bolt it back up and hunt for the noise. Place a solid tool like a big handled screwdriver on your ear and touch the tip in different locations, this will help pinpoint the noise
yes, it returns with no issue. Noise can be replicated anywhere in the stroke when compressed and released slightly which seems to indicate the seals are sticking.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
yes, it returns with no issue. Noise can be replicated anywhere in the stroke when compressed and released slightly which seems to indicate the seals are sticking.
Won't be a seal sadly, will be an internal component. Warranty?

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Won't be a seal sadly, will be an internal component. Warranty?
Yeah, I doubt it would be any of the seals on the air side as the noise was there before and after I serviced it. Unfortunately it's out of warranty and being a crappy shock to start with worth all of $200, I'm not too fussed about replacing it.

Last edited:

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One more question: Would there be any reason to suspect the 2015 Fox factory shocks sold by Cycling deal.com are fakes?

specci82

Likes Dirt
I had the same issue with my Trance and changed bearings and bottom bracket also but noise was still there..... Ended up being a creaking seat post.
Although i no longer have 32 evo's on my Trance anymore i actually think they weren't as bad as people make em out to be?

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I doubt it would be any of the seals on the air side as the noise was there before and after I serviced it. Unfortunately it's out of warranty and being a crappy shock to start with worth all of $200, I'm not too fussed about replacing it.
Can you feel it or just hear it? Mine felt like a had just run over a small stick everytime.
Sent it back for warranty but they ended up replacing

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk