Rear shock option for Commencal Meta AM

gippyz

Likes Dirt
So I just bought a Commencal Meta AM V4.2. The frame doesn't come with shock and am contemplating the following:
  1. Fox Float X2 coil or air
  2. Rockshox super deluxe coil RT with remote
  3. CCDB CS coil
  4. Fox Float DPX2 air
They are all expensive, including mounting kit amount to > $900. DPX2 I can get for about $600. Of the 4 options which is the best value for money for the frame? I'm building the bike as an overall bike, meaning for both trail riding as well as gnarlier stuff (bike park and black trails like those in stromlo). I'm leaning towards getting the X2, but I cry so hard when I saw the price. Wallet is suggesting DPX2.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Don't worry about the wallet, if you're using it for the rougher stuff, go one of the coil options.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
For the price difference between a new Fox X2 and a EXT Storia, the EXT isn't a bad option. Having HBC is a big advantage over the X2 in my opinion,

gillyske

Likes Dirt
My meta am 29 works so well with a coil, Defs go with a coil shock. Mine is a super deluxe RCT cool that I got second hand from someone here. I'll selling a super deluxe RCT air if you're interested.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
yes please! can you give me the link? MTB direct can't help as they don't have any shock with size 230x60.
I don't think they have your size sorry but the link is

I think they have 200 X something and 216 X something.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I don't think they have your size sorry but the link is

I think they have 200 X something and 216 X something.
yeah they don't have anything in the size i need. Neither will they get them in the very near future they say. The only shops that have any shocks for 230x60 size is NSD, Mtb suspension centre, bike bug, and cyclinic.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
yeah they don't have anything in the size i need. Neither will they get them in the very near future they say. The only shops that have any shocks for 230x60 size is NSD, Mtb suspension centre, bike bug, and cyclinic.
The Germans have some good options

The DVO Jade for about $550 looks like a great option.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
The Germans have some good options

The DVO Jade for about $550 looks like a great option.
Looking at it now. Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard many good things about DVO in the past.

damo666

Likes Dirt
We put a DPX2 on my sons Meta, and it was night & day compared to the sh*tty RS Deluxe that it came with, really transformed the bike.
It was also a pretty good balance between price, weight & availability.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I've decided to purchase @gillyske RS super deluxe air.

Thank you all for the advice. I still believe the coil is the best for the frame (I'll be looking out for one in the future). I'll be content with the air for now.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
I've decided to purchase @gillyske RS super deluxe air.

Thank you all for the advice. I still believe the coil is the best for the frame (I'll be looking out for one in the future). I'll be content with the air for now.
Theres something called a megneg air can you can get for it that I was considering, its about $100 and most pro's are using it on their super deluxes. Probably similar to the debonair that was made for the monarch and then just became standard.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Legit this!!!
Chris is fantastic to deal with, and the shock comes in about the $1300AUD mark with 2xSprings and a custom tune for the frame it's going on.
The DHX2 is $900 + SLS Fox spring (another $150 a pop).
Yes I second this myself. 2020 model of Fox and RS are bad value for money if you are buying new. I am most likely going to go Ext path when I need a coil shock in the future.