Rear travel: none vs. short

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Hey all
Sussing out a new bike and always thought I’d go for a hardtail, but have also been looking at short travel full suspension frames, such as a Banshee Phantom (as opposed to a Paradox, which I’ve been looking into)
I’m not massively quick but always find myself picking lines and wonder what a full suspension would be like instead.
Advantages/disadvantages to going fully sprung vs. a decent hardtail?

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
My 2 cents if you already have a hardtail get a 130 - 140mm travel dual suspension bike :) Different enough to feel it.
And if you only had to have one? Plan is to upgrade my current hardtail, but exploring the option of a FS

Minlak

custom titis
And if you only had to have one? Plan is to upgrade my current hardtail, but exploring the option of a FS
Honestly of all the bikes I have had if I had to only have 1 bike for the rest of my life it would be the Ripley V4 with 140mm travel - I should also say it depends on the riding you do and plan to do - If you are racing XC that's different again - But for a do it all bike

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Advantages/disadvantages to going fully sprung vs. a decent hardtail?
Pros - You can definitely feel it. Even with a XC dually with suspension settings rock hard (basically just for hard knocks and maximum efficiency). The geo is super aggressive old school but it still feels miles off from a hardtail. Might be comparable to a mid fat (3.0" tyre) but even that's a stretch.

Cons: The rear shock is another piece of servicing if you can be assed or not as is pivots. To be honest I haven't done the XC dually, took it apart and it was still fresh so been running it for a while no problems. I also don't spray wash this bike ever which helps and it gets mild conditions (i.e. not the mud bike). The medium travel bike is overdue though - can't wait lol.

In terms of climbing efficiency, with the advent of modern gearing and lockouts and all that, it's not a big deal unless you are racing. You might climb a bit slower, but for most of us, that's not where the fun is.

moorey

call me Mia
After 30 some suspension always beats no suspension. And closing in on 50 I am too old to be beat up by my hobby.
Same. Every time I think I could do a HT, I change my mind after 10 minutes riding.
Phantom is a good option. Mine feels like more than 105mm over the bumps, but doesn’t pedal like a dually. It’s no XC bike thought. Way more fun and capable.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I still like having a HT, but I ride my 115mm trail bike way more at the moment. I'll probably go up to a 120-135 mm bike next just because I sometimes miss that little extra capability, but it probably comes down a lot to geo as well as I'm on a steeper HTA/ smallish bike for me.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
If you don't have a FS you owe it to yourself to get one. There are so many good options in the 115mm to 130mm rear travel range that are light and efficient pedallers as well as being amazing descenders.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll throw my 2c in.

Have gone from a 140/130mm 'trail bike' to an aggressive Hardtail (140mm fork) as my only bike at present.
The HT has much better geometry so it handles very well considering.

If I was trying to beat my PR's on local gravity descents, the dually would always be quicker.
For my current situation where I don't get to ride too often and am back to just enjoying it when I do, the HT is a much more engaging ride.

Ideally, I'd love to have a HT and a 150/160mm dually, but at present kids are commanding all my time so I will settle for not riding one bike, rather than 2.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I don't aim to ride that fast, I more enjoy the slower technical aspects of riding. That said I wouldn't mind a try on a short travel FS bike, something like a Riply AF or Specialized Epic EVO.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Honestly I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them.
Banshee looks the best though, followed by the optic.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Honestly I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them.
Banshee looks the best though, followed by the optic.
It's all moot though as I just about have the money for a pair of tyres right now lol

Ideally I'd be looking at a new bike (if upgrades to the Ragley don't drain me!) in about three years. Should have about $5,000 saved by then.