Rear Tyre rubbing on front derailleur

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yes I know get rid of the front derailleur.
I want a front derailleur and triple rings so I can use the hardtail for more than mtbiking.
Its a Chameleon thanks to someone on here, with a 2.4 back tyre that just rubs on the front derailleur in the granny.
If I use the limit screw it wont go into granny .
Is it best to put another spacer or 2 on the right side of the Shimano bb and move the crank out further ?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yes I know get rid of the front derailleur.
I want a front derailleur and triple rings so I can use the hardtail for more than mtbiking.
Its a Chameleon thanks to someone on here, with a 2.4 back tyre that just rubs on the front derailleur in the granny.
If I use the limit screw it wont go into granny .
Is it best to put another spacer or 2 on the right side of the Shimano bb and move the crank out further ?
What is the centre sprocket chainline? That will tell you if you have room to move. Or go 2x?

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
How old is the lizard? Not trying to run 27.5 on a 26 frame are you?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Might just be pushing the tyre width envelope a bit far, but check the derailleur is dead-set parallel to the rings & not sitting tail-in at all. Pushing the crank out might work, but you may then find the derailleur can't swing out far enough to pick up the big ring.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Thanks Duck will give it a try .
Otherwise considering my options with the chainrings .
2 other bikes threw away the FD and put 2 NW chainrings 32 + 26 in side by side + 11-40 cluster and move by hand .
It sounds mad but lots of places you ride up for ages on 26T or shuttle then rest at the top and change to the 32 going down.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can you push the rear wheel back in those frames ?
I had this issue on my daughters Nimble 9 running 27.5 + wheels. She needs (or needed) the gear range for her yearly ride. I was able to push the wheel back to get clearance.
The bike ended up becoming my commuter bike as the daughter gave up riding.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Good thought but dont think so.
Its a 2015 frame and it has a curved seat tube to tuck the wheel in and shorten the wheel base, and I like that geometry for going uphill.
the frame comes with those removable rear dropouts prolly to convert to 27.5 +.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Will work on it tomorrow .
Its nice to have a problem that doesnt involve the word Corona.
I think the combination of moving the crank out with a spacer and if necessary removing the largest chainring will allow the derailleur to change ie go 2x .

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
2015 = Chameleon 6 then?
https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-AU/bike/chameleon/6

Specs say 2.4 is max tyre size, but may vary - sounds like your tyre isn’t playing nicely. Looks like there is an adjustable rear dropout, but only for single speed. Are the dropouts worn and the wheel isn’t aligned in the frame properly?

Another thought might be to re-dish the rear wheel a smidge, but sounds like you’ve got better things to try first.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Thanks Duck will give it a try .
Otherwise considering my options with the chainrings .
2 other bikes threw away the FD and put 2 NW chainrings 32 + 26 in side by side + 11-40 cluster and move by hand .
It sounds mad but lots of places you ride up for ages on 26T or shuttle then rest at the top and change to the 32 going down.
Fit 32 and 26 narrow wide rings and change with the help of a stick if you’re using the 26T for big long climbs where you are resting at the top before heading back down?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Will work on it tomorrow .
Its nice to have a problem that doesnt involve the word Corona.
I think the combination of moving the crank out with a spacer and if necessary removing the largest chainring will allow the derailleur to change ie go 2x .
All good.
Could only use a thicker spacer to push the crank out a few mm.
2 spacers and it a had poor chainline the granny was grinding.
Also trued wheel and centred tyre better so now about 3mm gap.