Rebuilding Old Hub

Bacca

Likes Dirt
I got myself a very old cruiser and am currently giving it a little TLC. Whilst workin on the old Velo hub I've noticed a pair of wire pawl springs that need attention.

Does anyone know what sort of wire I need for the pawl springs and how to install it?

Last edited:

Bacca

Likes Dirt
Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of wire would suit. ie: what has the best fatigue resistance?

dek_norco

Likes Dirt
hey mate i just want to ask you something have you ever do this before because i have to see what it was like inside the freewheel, and i just wanted to know how you put it back together, ive tried and failed many times i stick the bearings in with grease but it just doesnt want to get back together. but for the wire spring i think you can buy them along with new pawls at your lbs.

Bacca

Likes Dirt
I've been thinking since the beginning that I'll have to take it in to the LBS for them to see if they've repaired something like this before. I haven't seen a freewheel like this before and wanted to DIY with this old bike as the aim of the game was for minimum cost. When I put it back together I'll take some pics to give you an idea of what goes where. I'll be using Castrol Marine Grease which should be thick enough to hold all the little pieces in place during reinstallation.