Recommend a carbon XC rim

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Buy some dt 350 hubs.
Lace em to crests with Sapim lasers.
Cheap. Strong. Light.

You can shim the rotors with the syntace shims.

Both cassettes should be within a bees pee pee being both DT Swiss.

For your race wheels, get some curve rims

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Suggestions?

Just loosen everything off when they arrived and re-tension to how they should be...you should get a couple of years out of these out there.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Suggestions?

I had been considering purchasing some cheapish everyday wheels to put shit tyres on so I'm not chewing up my Vittorias, coz I can't be arsed swapping tyres for a hour and a half race once a month. The front hub is still good, the rear could use some new bearings, so the time is probably right to demote them to second favourites.

I'm looking at DT Swiss XR 391 alloy rims with nipples and washers from r2-bike for about $190
If you break carbons, you're most likely going bend alloy, without running better tyres or some type of rim protection you'll end up in the same place.
I've built a few alloy e-thirteen rims up and haven't had any issues but I wouldn't buy a complete wheel set. You can buy the rims separate here in Aus.. https://www.e13components.com.au/collections/wheelgoods/products/trs-plus-rim-28

In the carbon side of things you have Nextie or Black Crow which is owned by the original owner of the Nextie franchise, so it wouldn't surprise if they came out of the same factory in China and both brands have Australian support.

Last edited:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

Just loosen everything off when they arrived and re-tension to how they should be...you should get a couple of years out of these out there.
Close but no cigar! I'm on Boost, there were a couple of boost options over there though.

If break carbons, you're most likely going bend alloy, without running better tyres or some type of rim protection you'll end up in the same place.
I've built a few alloy e-thirteen rims up and haven't had any issues but I wouldn't buy a complete wheel set. You can buy the rims separate here in Aus.. https://www.e13components.com.au/collections/wheelgoods/products/trs-plus-rim-28

In the carbon side of things you have Nextie or Black Crow which is owned by the original owner of the Nextie franchise, so it wouldn't surprise if they came out of the same factory in China and both brands have Australian support.
To be fair to the wheels, it was an un-sighted log that sent me over the bars, and poor line choice that dumped me on my arse that most likely caused the damage. I don't remember riding over anything that gnarly. And there's definitely nothing around home that intense.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Close but no cigar! I'm on Boost, there were a couple of boost options over there though.

To be fair to the wheels, it was an un-sighted log that sent me over the bars, and poor line choice that dumped me on my arse that most likely caused the damage. I don't remember riding over anything that gnarly. And there's definitely nothing around home that intense.
Yeah I do remember you posting about the OTB at the Otway.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've probably got 15,000km on various sets of carbon wheels from Light Bicycle and never had an issue. I do get them built by either Astro or TWE not straight out of the factory though, which probably makes a difference.
I've got a set of Stans Flow S1 on DT350 29er boost if you want a cheap set of wheels, done about 500km.

Cardy George

I've probably got 15,000km on various sets of carbon wheels from Light Bicycle and never had an issue. I do get them built by either Astro or TWE not straight out of the factory though, which probably makes a difference.
I've got a set of Stans Flow S1 on DT350 29er boost if you want a cheap set of wheels, done about 500km.
PM sent

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

bear the bear

Is a real bear

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
That was the rumour I'd heard, you've all confirmed it as much as I need
Nick and Megan from Broken Hill used to run them as did I (I think I still have my set). They weren't bad but they weren't as great as they should have been. In the end, Coomie's stressful cornering got the better of them and I snapped a couple of spokes. A wheelbuilder did some custom short spokes for me but struggled with even re-tensioning during the rebuild so they aren't much chop for MTB anymore.

I may dig them out and put fat gravel tyres on them for the Dirtroadie...

Cardy George

Nick and Megan from Broken Hill used to run them as did I (I think I still have my set). They weren't bad but they weren't as great as they should have been. In the end, Coomie's stressful cornering got the better of them and I snapped a couple of spokes. A wheelbuilder did some custom short spokes for me but struggled with even re-tensioning during the rebuild so they aren't much chop for MTB anymore.

I may dig them out and put fat gravel tyres on them for the Dirtroadie...
That's the info I need, cheers!