recommend me a CX bike for commuting?

prklcd

Likes Dirt
Hi guys

I am currently overseas with work and on my return to Canberra I will be taking up a new job which is further from my house. Looks like it will be 25km each way ride - great excuse for a new bike!

Most of the ride is by bike path, but that can be rather bumpy with roots lifting the path etc. I don't really think I need a road bike, nor do I really want one. The more and more I read about CX bikes the more and more I think they are perfect for what I will be doing.

Question is - what currently is out there for $1500 max? I would ideally love a Kona Jake the Snake, 2009 or 2010 model as I love the frames (hate the 2011 fame).

What would people recommend? need to make a decision and buy very quickly on my return,

cheers

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I just bought myself a Merida Cyclocross 4 for $1140, really happy with it. its light, but still feels stron enough to abuse it a little, the geometry was instantly comfortable for me and i dont think you can get anything even close to that groupset for that money in another bike. it was reduced from like $1800 or something, and most places are selling it more around the $1500 mark, but do some haggling and you should get it at least close to that price.

http://comingthru.com/2010/10/2011-review-merida-cyclo-cross-4-disc/

as usual, this is a good time of the year to try and grab a runout 2011 bike so might aswell take advantage of it :)

prklcd

Likes Dirt
Ok - So I am pretty keen on a 2010 Kona Jake the Snake. I have read lots of great reviews and I think it's perfect for what I need.

Now, Since I am overseas I am going to have to buy online. I am 183cm and I was thinking a 58cm frame but one of the stores recommend a 56cm frame. I don't know if this was just because I they only had a 56 in stock.

what do people think on the sizing?

http://www.konaworld.co/bike.cfm?content=jakethesnake

Last edited:

Gripo

Eats Squid
How about a 29r with a second wheelset with either CX tyres (Maxxis Locust are like mini knobbies) or road tyres if you so desire.....

floody

Wheel size expert
Avanti Circa, they've been running out the door at work for this very purpose. Rack mounts front and rear, workmanlike spec, good thing.

There are a few large/huge ( too big for me) Cannondale bad boys getting around for sale used at the moment which could be a good bike for your commute. Ive always like the stealth look.

Danny B

Likes Dirt
I would be looking at the Charge Mixer Apex or a Genesis Croix De Fer. Neither are very well know bikes here in Australia but are priced for the UK market so available pretty damn cheap online. I like steel frames. I have a steel roadie and a HT. IMO if you're commuting or light touring (not racing) the comfort steel affords far outweighs the weight penalty of a few extra lbs. Surly Cross-check is another winner for the allrounder, but the complete bikes are pretty badly spec'd.