Recommend me a good rolling CX tyre

takai

Eats Squid
Anyone want to recommend a good rolling, relatively puncture proof, 29er CX tyre?

This Schwalbe CX Comp is no more. It has ceased to be.

The CX Comp was good on gravel, but sucked on hard pack, and the rear tyre is showing signs of casing failure too.

Considering a Ravager in 38C or a Rambler in 38C, or even a Refuse in 35C as most of the bikes work is hard pack now.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i’m a big fan of the challenge tyre range, something like the gravel grinder or the chicane, mostly flat centre with some side knobs for bite when cornering, similar to a minion ss in an mtb tyre...also had good long wearing with the panaracer gravel king - note it’s not for any kind of mud, has a smooth fast rolling version then the sk which has a small tread pattern, tubeless blows up nicely, never cut it either
maxxis & schwalbe don’t do many good cox/gravel tyres, seem behind the other smaller companies..almost no one runs maxis at cross, their mud wrestler is one of the worst tyres for muddy conditions

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I also have had Challenge Gravel Grinders on my bike for a while, had one puncture but it was one of those ride over a sharp thorn-like stick that would have got through most anyway. They roll fine on asphalt too.

Is the Rambler the WTB one? They look good also.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I rate the Challenge Gravel Grinder tyres myself and I still have a spare new pair in 35mm. Spectacular sandy & hardpack tyre...but not a fan of rocks.

However, I've been running 28mm Pirelli tyres for the last couple of years. Mostly on rough blacktop but also our stony, sandy dirt roads and they held up well and handled quite fine.

I've just switched to the Pirelli Cintuarto in 28mm (it's also available in 26, 32 and 35 mm) and I'm quite impressed. It's heavier duty than the previous 4season velo Pirelli's so it weighs a tad more because it has a tougher casing and yet it still rolls fast. No tread pattern to speak of though.

A mate has just picked up a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres in 28mm that look the business as always but at 530 grams per tyre...they are porky (mine are 290 grams).

treble

Likes Dirt
More of a gravel tire, but I'm running a set of Maxxis Ramblers on mine. lots of grip but roll very nicely

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Your tyre is no more, it has ceased to be.
No its just pining for the fjords of Norway.
I use Continental Cyclocross speed 35 mm happy with those roll fast .

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Anyone want to recommend a good rolling, relatively puncture proof, 29er CX tyre?

This Schwalbe CX Comp is no more. It has ceased to be.

The CX Comp was good on gravel, but sucked on hard pack, and the rear tyre is showing signs of casing failure too.

Considering a Ravager in 38C or a Rambler in 38C, or even a Refuse in 35C as most of the bikes work is hard pack now.
I'm running Panaracer Gravel Kings 42mm on my bikes (Focus Mares, Surly Bridge Club) tubeless on Stans and Easton rims. They roll fast, are plush on the bumpy stuff and are hard wearing. Incredibly, when I fitted them they held air without tubeless fluid, all the way up to 60psi, I didn't have the nuts to go further. I couldn't recommend them enough.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

boyracer

Likes Dirt
Second vote for Panaracer gravel kings. Can be noisy.
Look at the gravel king 38mm chevron tread version too. Same but no SK in the designation. I just got some from bikebug locally for same price as OS.
Much faster on the flat/ hard pack and rad for kerb hops- like being on a trampoline.
Panaracer also make Compass tyres apparently. If you can fit the bag they go up substantially in size.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Second vote for Panaracer gravel kings. Can be noisy.
Look at the gravel king 38mm chevron tread version too. Same but no SK in the designation. I just got some from bikebug locally for same price as OS.
Much faster on the flat/ hard pack and rad for kerb hops- like being on a trampoline.
Panaracer also make Compass tyres apparently. If you can fit the bag they go up substantially in size.
Haha, yeah they are noisy, especially on rough tarmac. I usually ride listening to music, and only realised how loud they are after my earphones died. Good for letting the roadies know your about to pass em

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Been through a few sets trying to find the right balance:
  • Schwalbe g one: great all rounder a bit thin if you decide to take it on rougher stuff. Wear rate is abysmal.
  • Vittoria terrano zero: Really fast rolling thing, decent but not excellent protection
  • Vittoria terrano dry: more grip than the zeros and probably more protection, but turn in on hard surfaces is a strange experience with the square edge.
  • Conti cx: These are probably my favorite gravel tyre with superior mud performance than ones above. They are absolutely woeful at any sort of puncture protection and not as fast rolling on hard stuff.
Panaracer gravelking sk: Pretty good tyre, but not the fastest on the list. Turn in characteristics are good for a flat to knobby sidewall transition and puncture protection s good.

I run a frankensetup now. Terrano zeros at the back and terrano dry on the front. I'd recommend these but I've only had them recently so can't speak for wear (puncture?) Riding is probably 40% tarmac 40% hardpack gravel, 20% choppy stuff.

Hal-9000

Likes Dirt
I absolutely love the Ritchey Shield WCS on my gravel bike. It’s 700x35C but there are various 29” versions too.
Most of the riding I do on the CX bike is dirt roads with sharp edge rocks and some single track, again with sharp edge rocks and they’ve been puncture free so far. Ive been running them with tubes for the last year but the are TLR I believe.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
The Terrene Elwood looks pretty good. I was going to give that a crack next.

https://www.terrenetires.com/pages/elwood

I’ve been real happy with the Clement now Donnelly ... sorry not sure what model I’m o or whether the Donnelly carried forward. It’s on my Bombtrack Hook. But they have been a real eye opener. Have only flatted once going over a rock bridge Way too hot. Real efficient pedaller on bike path and tar. Hook up pretty nice on buff sniggle Without too many rocks.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
The Terrene Elwood looks pretty good. I was going to give that a crack next.

https://www.terrenetires.com/pages/elwood

I’ve been real happy with the Clement now Donnelly ... sorry not sure what model I’m o or whether the Donnelly carried forward. It’s on my Bombtrack Hook. But they have been a real eye opener. Have only flatted once going over a rock bridge Way too hot. Real efficient pedaller on bike path and tar. Hook up pretty nice on buff sniggle Without too many rocks.
I've never heard of that brand, tyres look great though.