Recommend me a high end socket set

link1896

Mr Greenfield
+1 gearwrench. Just had a squiz of a mates 3/8’ set and it’s pretty good.
Bachco are “meh” for me, I don’t get the hype. And the fish logo sucks. I’ve had the 1/2 drive ratchet let go on me and I fell on my arse.
Rubber handles suck. They look wonderfull for the first week then BAMN! They age 30yrs.

Wera good
Stahwille good.
Snap on overpriced
Repco good too.
I like the gearwrench I have

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
+1 gearwrench. Just had a squiz of a mates 3/8’ set and it’s pretty good.
Bachco are “meh” for me, I don’t get the hype. And the fish logo sucks. I’ve had the 1/2 drive ratchet let go on me and I fell on my arse.
Rubber handles suck. They look wonderfull for the first week then BAMN! They age 30yrs.

Wera good
Stahwille good.
Snap on overpriced
Repco good too.
It's actually a fish hook logo, because guess what they started out making.

My soft desk jockey hands like the rubber handles. Especially when I'm wearing nitrile gloves up to my elbow.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Apologies for the slight derail, but what did you get? I’d like to buy something decent with a few drawers to get the workshop organizised.
It was just one from Aldi... For 80 bucks I figured it would be worth it even if it ends up being a second one!

Suspect I’ll be applying my “don’t buy cheap tools” theory to this as well soon enough though.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Metrinch. The absolute best 1/4 and 3/8th Kit. I’ve yet to wear/hurt even one piece.

As the name suggests, funky patented 6 sided sockets that work with both metric and imperial sized nuts.

I like the concept of the universal socket thing that works on a range of sizes, but I’ve not gotten on with them in reality. Happy to stick with dedicated metric.

I have all the imperial sockets in what’s left of my Sidchrome set, and they’re all still fine albeit with a lot of use from a few years owning a 1969 Rover :)

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
It was just one from Aldi... For 80 bucks I figured it would be worth it even if it ends up being a second one!

Suspect I’ll be applying my “don’t buy cheap tools” theory to this as well soon enough though.
Ah, cool.

I’m after something decent on castors that’ll last, prices seem to range from $180 from Kogan to much more, obviously, grime Sidchrome etc.

Anyone got any opinions?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Ah, cool.

I’m after something decent on castors that’ll last, prices seem to range from $180 from Kogan to much more, obviously, grime Sidchrome etc.

Anyone got any opinions?
Yeah, I’ll second that. Aldi was an impulse buy, but it’s served to confirm I need a good one!!

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some good advice in here. I'll play the other side on Teng though. One bloke bought a full set of stuff and was forever taking stuff back to the rep for warranty. Mostly ratchet spanners and wrenches, sockets seem to be holding up.

Same with Gearwrench. Just about every man and his dog bought the big sets of ratchet spanners when they had a sale on them a few years ago. Not many of them left working and the rep stopped warranting them siting "improper use". For what it's worth their wrenches seem to be holding up.

Sockets should last just about a lifetime unless your sticking them on rattle guns all the time. I'm guilty of using my standard Sidchrome sockets on guns all the time due to laziness but they've held up 10 years of abuse (so far). I've got a set of Sidchrome ratchet spanners that held up well for 15 years, although last year my 14mm packed up and I bought another one.

I'll generally buy Snap On stuff for conveniences sake due to them coming to me. But not a whole lot, torque wrenches etc that I want to be accurate and get tested regularly. Was going to get a long flex head 1/2" ratchet off him last time but after hearing the price ($400!) I decided I didn't really need it, lol.

A tip, local Case IH dealers sometimes have cheap Case branded tools in the showroom. These are made by Snap On for CNH. I got a deep 1/2" socket set for $30 a few years ago. Put them next to a Snap On set and you can't tell the difference.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Qqq
It's actually a fish hook logo, because guess what they started out making.

My soft desk jockey hands like the rubber handles. Especially when I'm wearing nitrile gloves up to my elbow.

You ride bikes your hands wouldn’t be that soft.
How’re the elbow calluses though?

A good ergonomically sound metal handle won’t destroy your mitts.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Qqq
You ride bikes your hands wouldn’t be that soft.
How’re the elbow calluses though?

A good ergonomically sound metal handle won’t destroy your mitts.
According to @Zaf my bikes are all shed queens, but yeah I've got some good calluses but nothing like a tradie.

Are you suggesting my missus makes me get on al fours while she straps on a... oh you mean as in a desk jockey. The wrist calluses are the killers.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Dosed up on codral, did the rounds of total tools and burnings and repco.

Bahco - no. Sidchrome “ok” I guess. Repco ratchets are actually really nice feeling - at least the ones with a full metal handle. The Total Tools own brand TTI is almost as nice too.

For chests, the TTI one at total tools is nice, smooth drawer action with that self closing action. But Repco also have a nice Mechpro with a wood top that’s appealing to me right now for about $500.

Codral was wearing off at that point, but still need to find somewhere that sells the good stuff like Hazet to compare...

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
what about Japanese stuff?
Koken make a good ratchet, I have had mine for quite a few years and still feels and works well

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Dosed up on codral, did the rounds of total tools and burnings and repco.

Bahco - no. Sidchrome “ok” I guess. Repco ratchets are actually really nice feeling - at least the ones with a full metal handle. The Total Tools own brand TTI is almost as nice too.

For chests, the TTI one at total tools is nice, smooth drawer action with that self closing action. But Repco also have a nice Mechpro with a wood top that’s appealing to me right now for about $500.

Codral was wearing off at that point, but still need to find somewhere that sells the good stuff like Hazet to compare...
Repco also has a lifetime warranty......... got my hex keys replaces without a receipt.

Repco tools are quality. You pay for it though.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The other side of the coin. I was never stuffed around more then by KC Pro citing improper use of their 1/2” drive set.

“Unconditional, lifetime warranty” means sfa

Haakon

Keeps on digging
what about Japanese stuff?
Koken make a good ratchet, I have had mine for quite a few years and still feels and works well
That looks interesting, not heard of that brand before. I do remember wandering through a hardware store in Tokyo and seriously admiring some tools. They make some mighty fine stuff. Gasweld seem to stock them so I’ll check it out.

Failing that, I think just replacing the lost and worn parts of my old Sidchrome set with Repco items will be quite satisfactory - it’s all equal or better than the 25 year old stuff :) The 1/4 ratchet is about $40 so pretty reasonable.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Ah, cool.

Anyone got any opinions?
www.justprotools.com.au

Maxim toolboxes.
I have one of their roll cabs, my uncle has one, and one of the guys on here bought one too I think.... (@stirk?)

They are excellent. Better construction than most. Double rollers on the deeper draws.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
www.justprotools.com.au

Maxim toolboxes.
I have one of their roll cabs, my uncle has one, and one of the guys on here bought one too I think.... (@stirk?)

They are excellent. Better construction than most. Double rollers on the deeper draws.
My wife gave me this one 2 years ago as she was sick of my crap all over the garage. https://www.justprotools.com.au/maxim-28-drawer-combo-red-tool-box-top-chest-roll. It's been great and haven't managed to fill 2/3 of the space as yet