Recommend me a pedal thats better than a Vault

moorey

call me Mia
that was some great banter about a pedal you've yet to ride and the colour of them @moorey @wkkie :)

But.......... anyone tried the Deity Deftraps?
No... but I’ll wager they come out of the same factory as the plethora of $25-40 knock off composite pedals on eBay.
I HAVE tested my $23 Oneup knockoffs though, and I find them to be good.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
No... but I’ll wager they come out of the same factory as the plethora of $25-40 knock off composite pedals on eBay.
I HAVE tested my $23 Oneup knockoffs though, and I find them to be good.
Scudgood? Rockbros?

And if that's the case........ why'd you bother with the Burgtecs?

moorey

call me Mia
Scudgood? Rockbros?

And if that's the case........ why'd you bother with the Burgtecs?
Scud. The Burgtec were provided as a replacement for NP composites that were destroyed in a bike rack incident months ago. The NP’s I was after weren’t available.
Do the Burgs appear nicer than the Scuds? Absolutely. But I have 14 bikes to keep running across the family. Not all need $80-150 pedals for what they are being used for. I’d run Vaults on every bike if money was no object.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Scud. The Burgtec were provided as a replacement for NP composites that were destroyed in a bike rack incident months ago. The NP’s I was after weren’t available.
Do the Burgs appear nicer than the Scuds? Absolutely. But I have 14 bikes to keep running across the family. Not all need $80-150 pedals for what they are being used for. I’d run Vaults on every bike if money was no object.
14 bikes :) haha. Classic. No wonder you always buy my 4 sale items.....

I'm just going to get Vaults next time Pushys has a site wide code....... i only run 1 bike so i might as well.

moorey

call me Mia
14 bikes :) haha. Classic. No wonder you always buy my 4 sale items.....
Unrelated. I’m just ill.

If you like a seriously angry pedal, check out the Cromag Dagga. I tried a mates. Felt nice, but once your foot is planted, forget trying to adjust it. Good in some circumstances, a bit more than I need.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Let us know!

Pushys 12% site wide and have been out of stock for Vaults for a while so I might be pulling the trigger tonight
Actually I just looked at my order and I got them for $103 in January, when free delivery was $99 or more and I signed up with a burner email address for a further $20 off haha chunts.

I really like my Neutrons so I should be good with these!

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Actually I just looked at my order and I got them for $103 in January, when free delivery was $99 or more and I signed up with a burner email address for a further $20 off haha chunts.

I really like my Neutrons so I should be good with these!
$103? Well I'm not hitting order then... f**k that... I'll wait for a better deal.

smasher29er

Likes Bikes
to answer the original question about a larger pedal, tag metals, they aint cheap and I would recommend getting the cone pins, but with my us size US 14/15 foot I am in love with these, great grip and so much good space. If you love extra grip maybe try the pins, I dont like overly grippy pedals, I like to be able to make micro adjustments and with long pins I cant. I used to ride with DMR vaults and use the cone side, but couldnt find a rebuild kit and had worn them out and have now moved on and wont go back. in between the vaults and TAGs I bought some oneup pedals and they were so so small and once my foot was on it was glued on, so with my big foot I would struggle to get it into a comfy spot (which seemed like a very specific spot). Now there seems like a much larger "right spot"

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Since my last post here and being pretty firmly in the camp of value for money why would anyone buy anything other some mag V12’s ive tried something i didnt think i ever would.

Before covid destroyed everything i was privileged to be towed down the new descent at lake mountain at warp speed and less the half way down i was experiencing the most insane pain in my feet which ive never felt before on the bike. I wanted to go faster but the pain in my feet was so insane such that i didnt think there was any chance i was even going to make it to the end of the main descent without stopping to rest.

Was wearing my usual Freerider elc’s and on the mag V12’s at the time.

Anyways, after that and looking at the pedal dimensions more closely id eventually convinced myself maybe a slightly larger pedal would have made the difference on that day.

Searching around online i finally found some std aluminium Vaults in the colour i wanted for $130 delivered and pulled the trigger. Same sort of money i payed for the Hope F20’s but again still nearly twice the price of the V12’s so i had high expectations.

Im still on the fence re the Vaults. Yes the certainly do feel “different” to the V12’s, the finish / build quality imo doesnt justify to me the price over the V12’s. Grip isnt any different IMO, but until i can take another run down the cascades trail i wont know if the pedal dimensions support my feet better under such conditions or if im just old and weak now!

Now i deff think my preference is shifting a little. I think riding on the Vaults has really made me appreciate the F20’s more after becoming disgruntled having to rebuilt them after 12months at high expense, maybe i just got unlucky. Fit and finish wise the Hopes absolutely shit on DMR and now im starting to think the F20’s might be my favourites.

That said i havent been able to spend enough time on the Vaults to really make up my mind which are my fav and im freaking hanging to take another crack at the Cascades trail should we ever be allowed out of lockdown on the Vaults!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Since my last post here and being pretty firmly in the camp of value for money why would anyone buy anything other some mag V12’s ive tried something i didnt think i ever would.

Before covid destroyed everything i was privileged to be towed down the new descent at lake mountain at warp speed and less the half way down i was experiencing the most insane pain in my feet which ive never felt before on the bike. I wanted to go faster but the pain in my feet was so insane such that i didnt think there was any chance i was even going to make it to the end of the main descent without stopping to rest.

Was wearing my usual Freerider elc’s and on the mag V12’s at the time.

Anyways, after that and looking at the pedal dimensions more closely id eventually convinced myself maybe a slightly larger pedal would have made the difference on that day.

Searching around online i finally found some std aluminium Vaults in the colour i wanted for $130 delivered and pulled the trigger. Same sort of money i payed for the Hope F20’s but again still nearly twice the price of the V12’s so i had high expectations.

Im still on the fence re the Vaults. Yes the certainly do feel “different” to the V12’s, the finish / build quality imo doesnt justify to me the price over the V12’s. Grip isnt any different IMO, but until i can take another run down the cascades trail i wont know if the pedal dimensions support my feet better under such conditions or if im just old and weak now!

Now i deff think my preference is shifting a little. I think riding on the Vaults has really made me appreciate the F20’s more after becoming disgruntled having to rebuilt them after 12months at high expense, maybe i just got unlucky. Fit and finish wise the Hopes absolutely shit on DMR and now im starting to think the F20’s might be my favourites.

That said i havent been able to spend enough time on the Vaults to really make up my mind which are my fav and im freaking hanging to take another crack at the Cascades trail should we ever be allowed out of lockdown on the Vaults!
Hope's crappy oem bearings strike again!

Did you use the Gope rebuild kit or did you manage to get some aftermarket bearings?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Only one other person has mentioned the Nukeproof Horizon (Sam Hill) pedals. Have I made a huge mistake?
Let us know!

Pushys 12% site wide and have been out of stock for Vaults for a while so I might be pulling the trigger tonight
I've got a set of the Sam Hill's and they are pretty good. I'd rate them the same as the DMR Vault for grip and better than the Hope's. They have had a fair beating and they just keep on trucking with no fuss.
My Vaults didn't last long at all before they munted one axle(bushing scored the axle) in less than 100kms. I forgot that it's necessary to rebuild every new MTB part before use to ensure they have been put together correctly and lubricated. Zero stock for replacement so CRC gave me a credit voucher and I nearly bought another set of Sam Hill's with it but got distracted and used it on some other shiny thing.

I have discovered Deity TMac's as well. Terribly expensive but the best I've ever used. If you can get these on special I highly recommend them.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
I've currently got V12s and looking for a larger platform for my size 12 feet..... i've smashed and abused teh V12s for years now without an issue which is why i'm thinking Vault will just be a big V12.