Recommend me a pedal thats better than a Vault

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Had the Hope F20’s for a year / 3000km and one of the pedals started clicking. Had to spend what the pedals cost me to get a rebuild kit and the machined down socket to fit the nut inside the pedals.

rebuilding was a royal pain in the arse, discovered the big easy-out trick to removing the old bushing thankfully, getting the new ones in was another shitfight too.

Wouldnt buy another set now after the expense of rebuilding them.

Also have 2 sets of ‘modern’ magnesium V12’s ( and 1 set of 20year old original V12’s still going!)

For the cost of the mag V12’s online i cannot bring myself to try the vaults, but i love the V12’s and rate them higher then the Hope F20’s for performance to cost ratio. Size of the Hope and grip is marginally better then the V12’s but not worth the added cost to me.
Ya I'm struggling to go past a new set of V12 magnesium ones for circa $80....

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Ya I'm struggling to go past a new set of V12 magnesium ones for circa $80....
100%. If pedals are going to need replacing every couple years seriously no way i could go passed the DMR V12’s. Yep, think i payed 70ish per pair for my 2 new mag sets... WTF even the cheapest alloy Vaults with steel axles are over double the price and they look ugly ;)

Im deff a lil bias tho with my 20year old Trailstar and original V12’s, but the new thinner V12’s have to be the best value flats available.

If you want more / less grip with whatever quality flat i think the shoes are the bigger piece of the puzzle.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Any body have any experience with what appears to be the convex nature of the composite pedals? Bit of a generalisation but when I look at OneUp or Race Face or Crank Bros that seems to be the case.

Know the V12s for example are deliberately concave... which is what I've rode for a long time...and hesitant to change shape under foot.

I do however want a larger platform... and ideally one that doesn't sit too close to crank as I rarely use those pins.

Wish stores stocked pedals you could try before you buy.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Any body have any experience with what appears to be the convex nature of the composite pedals? Bit of a generalisation but when I look at OneUp or Race Face or Crank Bros that seems to be the case.
i’ve only just changed so take with a grain of salt, only used the shimmsaints for a short period which were concave, i don’t mind it’s not so much that it isn’t concave , it’s with a soft sole i can feel the middle bar of the pedal axle, hasn’t given me any pain / problems or even annoyed, can just feel it there..grip has been fine, , i don’t have as thin as one up though, the vp is 13mm i think, enjoying the thinness—less pedal strikes

Last edited:

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
didnt catch that!!

Well Vaults seem like a safe bet....... so do V12s even though not on that listing.

I think i'm going to try the Kona Wah Wah IIs though. Like the idea of a big platform. May end up hating it! But the composites are pretty reasonable so not a big investment.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
I don't think I'm going to find a better pedal than the vault.

I've noticed that whilst other pedals may offer a wider platform by up to 5-10mm they also sit a lot closer to the crank having shorter spindles compared to the vault. So there wouldnt really be much of a difference.

Last edited:

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
I for one want someone to test the six-pack skywalker ti pedal. If you don't like them I'm happy to buy them from you for a heavily reduced figure. Also maybe a dental checkup too.

Last edited:

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I’m with you. Can’t kill them, best grip. If money was no object, they’d be on all my bikes.
Disagree about the NP composites, I’ve got a few sets, had for years, always been solid.
The OneUp composites look solid as well.
Would love to try the Cromag Dagga at some stage...but financially out of the question.
I bought NP composites (Neutron Evo I think?) years ago based on your recommendation, still going strong!

Just ordered a pair of Horizon Pro Sam Hill edition (not Titanium!).

moorey

call me Mia
Yep. Love the NP composites. Still running 3 sets. I don’t use them on DH bikes, only Vaults.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
just picked up a pair of dmr v12 mags, rode yesterday, pretty happy with the grip, perhaps slightly better than the vp dh2, they are fairly light for a metal pedal, the pins stuck to the sole..i’d put them on the duallie if i could find some 165 cranks