Recommend me a turntable

mtb1611

Seymour
I've got the Audio Technica LP120 and rate it. Good quality, but bigger and bulkier than other options out there.

I don't think vinyl necessarily sounds better than CD, but I have a heap of old records I love, plus will likely inherit my dad's collection one day which has all of David Bowie's discography and a lot of classic aussie bands.
I have the same TT and have had no issues with it whatsoever. My brother also has one and has upgraded the cartridge, describing the 'new' sound as 'mind blowing'. I called him a wanker.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i bought my GF a NAD, seems to work really well (made by pro-ject). Only thing I don;t like about is it has 3 feet instead of 4, and that's just dumb.

John U

MTB Precision
i bought my GF a NAD, seems to work really well (made by pro-ject). Only thing I don;t like about is it has 3 feet instead of 4, and that's just dumb.
For real? 3 feet means it’ll sit stably on a surface which isn’t perfectly flat. Given that it shouldn’t be supporting big variable weights there shouldn’t be a down side.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
My RP3 has three feet and it sits on a slab of marble which in turn sits on 3 vibration isolating feet. There is a reason.

Last edited:

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My RP3 has three feet and it sits on a slab of marble which in turn sits on 3 vibration isolating feet. There is a reason.

So if it had 4 feet it would stop working?

For real? 3 feet means it’ll sit stably on a surface which isn’t perfectly flat. Given that it shouldn’t be supporting big variable weights there shouldn’t be a down side.
Where are people putting record players that arn't flat? But when you lift the lid up (It rarely gets used, so the lid stays attached), it then trys to fall over. There is a fine line between where it's not up enough and where, is this enough..ugh too much it just tried to tip, so you have to be really carefull right at the top.
Is it the end of the world, no. It just means you have to think about what you're doing when lifting the lid, just seems dumb to me, like, its a NAD, it's decent affordable gear, but not some audiophile level stuff, doesn't need to try so hard. If you're so worried about having a flat surface, then go to the effort of ensuring a flat surface.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
So if it had 4 feet it would stop working?

Where are people putting record players that arn't flat? But when you lift the lid up (It rarely gets used, so the lid stays attached), it then trys to fall over. There is a fine line between where it's not up enough and where, is this enough..ugh too much it just tried to tip, so you have to be really carefull right at the top.
Is it the end of the world, no. It just means you have to think about what you're doing when lifting the lid, just seems dumb to me, like, its a NAD, it's decent affordable gear, but not some audiophile level stuff, doesn't need to try so hard. If you're so worried about having a flat surface, then go to the effort of ensuring a flat surface.
I will not buy this record, it is scratched.

John U

MTB Precision
If you're so worried about having a flat surface, then go to the effort of ensuring a flat surface.’
I’m not worried about it. I was just offering a suggestion as why it has 3 feet instead of 4. Maybe the stability thing is down to a level that isn’t noticeable to an observer. Same with the flatness of the surface

NAD gear is getting up there. Not being able to open the lid without the turntable tipping would shit me to tears. That sounds like an obvious and serious design flaw.

If you're so worried about having a flat surface, then go to the effort of ensuring a flat surface.’
I’m not worried about it. I was just offering a suggestion as why it has 3 feet instead of 4. Maybe the stability thing is down to a level that isn’t noticeable to an observer. Same with the flatness of the surface
NAD gear is getting up there. Not being able to open the lid without the turntable tipping would shit me to tears. That sounds like an obvious and serious design flaw.
yeah, be nuff to make you go to cds