Recommend me an AM bike around $3.5k

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m considering upgrading my AM bike. My current bike is a substantially upgraded 2014 650b Trek Remedy, weighs in about 13.5kg.

Requirements for a new bike would be…

- 650b wheels (not interested in 29”)
- Alloy frame is ok
- Must have 11 sp drivetrain
- Must weight 13.5 kg or less
- Prefer new, otherwise I'd just stick with what I've got
- Base package must be good (forks, frame, shock), I'd probably change out bars, stem, dropper etc. to what I prefer

My riding is AM with preference for the descents over the climbs. Not sure if 160mm is the go, the 150mm/140mm combo I'm running now works for me!

If I can get some coin for my bike I shouldn’t have too many woes with the other half spending circa. $3.5k (ish) for a new bike – what’s out there? Any recommendations?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
New trance.

The mid 3k model is pretty dope, 1x11 etc. 150mm/140mm. Geo thats not to long/slack, better all round trail bike than a full on enduro sled. I've ridden my mates one extensively and am very impressed, if I wasn't such a transition fanboi I'd be riding one of them. Much more enjoyable to ride than my old 2015 reign, but I'm not gonna say it's better than my scout.

Edit: just ditch the paper thin schwalbes, rubbish tyres that tear too easily.

Last edited:

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
If you can scrape up another $500, or find one on sale, the Norco Sight A7.2 might be the way to go. They don't give a weight, but I'd be surprised if it was over the 13.5 kg mark. I have the A7.1, and it's a whole lot of fun.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They're great bikes. Can you stretch to the AL 7.0EX with 1X drivetrain?
Not sure, that's another $1k above my 'budget'. All depends on how much coin I can get for my current ride, my Trek has a heap of upgraded parts that are a decent spec but I don't think I'll get much for it!

I'll have a closer read of your Canyon thread!

BT180

Max Pfaff
Not sure, that's another $1k above my 'budget'. All depends on how much coin I can get for my current ride, my Trek has a heap of upgraded parts that are a decent spec but I don't think I'll get much for it!

I'll have a closer read of your Canyon thread!
Might be better to part it out and get more for the bits separately.

There's a few other users here riding Spectrals. JTmofo is one.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I got a 2016 Trance Advanced 0 on run out late last year for $3900. Might be a possibility as the 2018's land on a 2017.

Mine currently weighs in at 12.2kg with pedals.

Jpez

Down on the left!
May be worth checkin out some of the YT bikes.
I was just checking out their website. Some sweet looking bikes on there. It's just getting past that buying sight unseen thing.
Nukeproof are also Well priced on CRC but low on stock.

Last edited:

Logic

Likes Dirt
I was just checking out their website. Some sweet looking bikes on there. It's just getting past that buying sight unseen thing. Canyon has a bunch of feed back by now to gauge off but not so much for YT yet.
Nukeproof are also Well priced on CRC but low on stock.
Fair enough dude, my dad has just recently bought a nukeproof mega 29 from there and is loving it!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
"With this one, we tried to make it look like raw aluminium, a throwback to our made in USA days"

Does look nice though. Im a fan of sinple paint schemes.

rtd

Likes Dirt
"With this one, we tried to make it look like raw aluminium, a throwback to our made in USA days"

Does look nice though. Im a fan of sinple paint schemes.
Agreed. I prefer this much more to their new tracer and carbine colours..