Recommend me some cranks

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My 2020 Optic came with E13 carbon cranks and the chain ring is rooted, so I need to either replace the chain ring or just replace the whole crank assembly. Having pulled them apart I'm not a huge fan of the design so replacing the lot seems like a good idea to me.
I know Moorey (he's drunk on the carbon Koolaid) is going to chime in and recommend another set of carbon cranks but I would prefer aluminium for durability and rock strike resistance. Ideally I would like XTR to match the rest of the bike but I can't understand the pricing of them, it's fucking bonkers for very little weight saving.
Clearly eeWings are the answer, but if you were forced to choose something else that was marginally cheaper?
Or find someone to buy the frame and get a Rascal.....

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Have a look and see if you can pick up a MT900 crank on Facebook or somewhere - it's the non-series XTR-level crank they rolled out ahead of the MT9100 and should be around $200 depending on condition.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
eeWings are clearly the answer! (Grab a set for me too will you? Cheers!)

But seriously, XT cranks are fine and one of the few places you're not likely to feel the extra weight. They also look purdy in person.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
MT900 if you can get them, XTR level without the price. If not, SLX cranks with XTR or non-shimano chainring (XT and below seem ridiculously heavy for the size/cost)

moorey

call me Mia
Given the way the rail climbs, why bother with a stupid 29 anyway?
Double win with a Rail. You’re welcome.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Avoid 30mm cranks. They are heavier and the bbs are more expensive and a pain.

Good 24mm axle options are: Shimano XT or mt900. Raceface Aeffect R for the ability to run dm or 104bcd spider. Dartmoor tribe hollow if you want a Hollowtech 2 style crank attachment with SRAM direct mount compatibility.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
All cranks are fine you want them to last, so I wouldnt worry about a few extra grams of weight .
I think carbon cranks are an inherently stupid idea and a poor use for carbon.
Why would you want to have to worry about the bond between the chainrings, cranks and the pedal threads and use crank boots dumb dumb dumb ?.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Go xt for value. I’m running xt and xtr, the xtr are very pretty and lighter but not worth the extra $$$. Xtr chainrings are a lot lighter but very $$. I only bought an xtr set as I found a set cheap. What am I saying by the e wings.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Avoid 30mm cranks. They are heavier and the bbs are more expensive and a pain.

Good 24mm axle options are: Shimano XT or mt900. Raceface Aeffect R for the ability to run dm or 104bcd spider. Dartmoor tribe hollow if you want a Hollowtech 2 style crank attachment with SRAM direct mount compatibility.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Have a look and see if you can pick up a MT900 crank on Facebook or somewhere - it's the non-series XTR-level crank they rolled out ahead of the MT9100 and should be around $200 depending on condition.
Thanks gents, good info but it looks like everyone is onto the MT900's! I'm going to keep looking for some mt900 cranks, I'd never heard of them. I got click baited into Merlin having some nice XTR cranks cheap but no fucking stock.
Who wants to buy a carbon Optic frameset so I can justify buying a Rascal? Comes with a great set of carbon cranks and a purple dropper remote....