Recommend me some lights

fallboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I want some lights for some pending winter after work trail rides. I have searched the usual suspects but am still unsure about what is ideal.

What I really want is what anyone would want in a light- Lighter than air, perpetual battery, brighter than the sun and indestructible.

More realistically than that I am on a budget of $150 to $200 and do not have bottle cage mounts on my bike. I would like something that will stand up to some spirited descents.

How many watts is suitable for general trail riding? LED or Halogen?

What style of battery works best for a non bottle holder bike? I would like to avoid putting the battery in my water pack because I would inevitably wreck the cord.

Any suggestions? Links? Advise on what does and doesn't work?

Last edited:

Binaural

Eats Squid
I run an Exposure Joystick, slightly above your price range at 228 from CRC. Good enough to avoid hitting bottles etc left on the road, can do an hour each way (to and from work) without problems. Light and no separate battery on the bike. Was just about the brightest light without a separate battery that was on the market when I bought it, and has never failed despite being rained on regularly. Battery life is still good after 2+ years, which is not bad for a lithium battery.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31361

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You must have only whispered when you searched...

Now... just get 'Ay-Ups', search that and a MILLION light threads will magically appear...

Or HID technologies LED's - another very reputable light.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
fallboy ... for $150-$200 your gonna get either a halogen ... which is usable but shite if you want to be carrying speeds anywhere near what you would in daylight hours (look at niterider digital evolutions - prolly still over your budget on ebay US) or Some kinda cheap ebay / LED light deal (read several cheap and nasty Hong Kong jobbies strapped to your noggin) ... these will only aid the visibility of people looking at/for you, as you lay twisted and bleeding on the side of the trail somewhere in the dark [from experience ;)]

The good news is that you could get an AYUP multisport (which is one unit only, usually for your head) but thats $275. ... it will burn thru most halogens and some HiDs and will come with a 6hr or x2 3hr batts.

or you could have a hack at a DIY jobbie

If your gonna be playing out in the dark regularly, I suggest saving up and getting a full yup kit ... $440.

So do what eyes suggested ... search noob;)

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DIY is the way to go if you have a soldering iron... Some Cree LEDS, some parts from dick smith, some torch bodies from Deal Extreme and some rechargable batteries and you can have reliable and bright lights for under $150. I need to write up my plans sometime.

If not DIY then Ayups.

Jason B

Likes Bikes
Niteflux commuter ticks some of the boxes - strong construction - sub $200.00 - 270Lumen 4watt LED with high low and flash, brightest LED you can buy for the money.