Recommend Some Baggy Shorts

notb4dinner

Likes Dirt
I'm planning to do some road touring/long XC rides at the end of the year so I've decided that after riding in shorts and t-shirts for near on 10 years it's time I buy myself some proper riding gear. Choosing jersey's has been fairly easy, however I'm aware that a poorly designed short could end up being fairly uncomfortable. So in the hope of avoiding too much damage to my (not so) sensitive butt I'm turning to the collective knowledge of Farkin to suggest some good padded/lined baggy shorts to me.

My preferences in no particular order are:
  • Fairly long in the leg (I wear my casual shorts to just below the knee so something similar would be good).
  • Plain colored.
  • Durable.
  • Not too pricey.
  • Built in chamois (I'm not particularly interested in knicks+shorts combos simply because it nearly doubles the cost and I am NEVER planning to wear knicks on their own).
I'm willing to sacrifice some of these things but they'll all come into play in my final decision.

Last edited:

RCOH

Eats Squid
I have some fox shorts with built in knicks that are pretty comfy. The short hangs to just above knee & has never really got caught on seat or anything. I got them almost 3 years ago & they are still going strong. They were about $90 for LBS

D

Deleted member FN2187

Dude just go to Target 'the red circle shopping experience' And get a pair of baggy cargo's. I've been riding in the same pair fo at least 2 years now. Otherwise get some TLD Moto pants. My Brother has a pair and rates em.

shauno

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oakley shorts are mad.
Built in lycra over the baggy stuff, so you can hide your inner self.
And as i see it, seeing as theres lycra AND THEN the shorts, no reason to wear johns underneath :p

bazza

look at me
or just wear nicks under whatever shorts you like. works a charm keeps you comfy yet not showing of your deadly tights.

Drew.

Eats Squid
You want baddy shorts? Take a look at some of the FUBU stuff, they come as baggy as clown pants.

That was sarcasm...^^....Now seriously, i would reccomend some of the Fox shorts, they make some really nice riding/casual fairly baggy shorts, they come in basically a plain black/grey with the fox stripe thing up the sides, very comfy too, they cost about 100-120 depending on where you shop.

Drew...?

notb4dinner

Likes Dirt
yogibear said:
Dude just go to Target 'the red circle shopping experience' And get a pair of baggy cargo's.
This is exactly what I'm wanting to move on from.
shauno said:
... as i see it, seeing as theres lycra AND THEN the shorts, no reason to wear johns underneath :p
That's normal procedure.
bazza said:
or just wear nicks under whatever shorts you like. works a charm keeps you comfy yet not showing of your deadly tights.
What's this like for long distance stuff? Every cycling baggy I've seen is built so that the seams aren't in the crotch area to prevent rubbing on various soft, tender bits.

Yunderover

Likes Bikes
Crossing over here but Ripcurl Code: Stl boardies work for me. They're seamless so no rubbing :p , they are about knee length and don't get caught on anything, and they're baggy enough not to restrict movement. 'Bout $60-$70 retail, Got mine $45 at sale