Recommendation for Goggles

Swarvey

Cannon Fodder
Owing to the 'new' rules for competing in Enduro events to race wearing a full-face helmet, I've recently purchased a TLD D3. Can anyone recommend any goggles that wont break the bank? Also, I'm assuming clear lenses over tinted would be the go... Cheers.

teK--

Eats Squid
^^ what they said

if you don't want to spend more than about $50 then they are a good bet.

Unless you want to be changing lens all the time I'd suggest a clear lens as they will work all year round and even in bright conditions they help by reducing glare and blocking UV. That way you can still see in cloudy conditions and where there is lots of tree cover.

Forget mirror finish lens they scratch way too easily and look terrible thereafter

If you want 2 or more lens and be able to change them quickly then there is no contest you want premium goggles like Oakley Airbrakes (around $200-$250) where it takes only seconds to change over a lens. Smith also have a similar lens change system. The lens quality in good goggles with hard plastic lens is also unrivalled from an optical and impact protection perspective.

Swarvey

Cannon Fodder
Thanks for the advice kiwijohn and teK :) Much appreciated. I was thinking that the 100%s were the way to go for the reasons you made teK. Thanks again.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Thread dig. Santa is coming soon and so is the next Tassie trip.

My boys have nearly grown out of their youth goggles and I'm looking at buying them new ones.

They have picked the IXS Hack and either the Fox Main or Air Space, will look tonight. Anyone have any experience with either ???

Also the old bloke was doing the researching thing as he is riding a 9 year old pair of Oakley O frames... came across Smith Squad MTB goggles, they look very ventilated. Anyone got these ???

They come in an XL too but not sure how they will fit in a fullface helmet, can only find XL photos on half lids...

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Melon Optics.
Make them how you want, they're decent in terms of fit and materials and the service is 1st class. Not necessarily inexpensive but comparable in price to some Giro Blok goggles I bought and they're SO much better, with hard case and spare clear lenses.

Would definitely buy again..

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Thread dig. Santa is coming soon and so is the next Tassie trip.

My boys have nearly grown out of their youth goggles and I'm looking at buying them new ones.

They have picked the IXS Hack and either the Fox Main or Air Space, will look tonight. Anyone have any experience with either ???

Also the old bloke was doing the researching thing as he is riding a 9 year old pair of Oakley O frames... came across Smith Squad MTB goggles, they look very ventilated. Anyone got these ???

They come in an XL too but not sure how they will fit in a fullface helmet, can only find XL photos on half lids...
Fox are pretty much everywhere, which means lots of support to get new lenses and tear offs. The main is smaller and the airspace is bigger.

Smith mx and mtb goggles aren't really supported in Australia anymore. You can still get lenses and tear offs from https://ripnroll.co.uk/.

Rip n roll are very good and have more accessories than you can poke a stick at. Spares are very reasonably priced.

Melons are good but the spares are expensive.

Oakleys are a total rip off.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I had some 100% and I couldn't breath while wearing them.
Took a utility knife to them... a little better but still shit house.

Went and bought some Fox Airspace. Heaps better!!!! But goggles are very much personal choice, bit like helmets.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

Alright....

Got myself the Smith Optics Squad MTB from Wiggle, only $91 on sale, cheapest place by a mile and looking at my Wiggle account, my first order from them since 2016.

Boys, just finalising the order at HiBike as they need tyres too, looking like Fox Airspace and IXS Hack. They are trying to get away from me buying them the same stuff, only 10 months between them so basically twins.... but now bloody teenagers.

ozzybmx

Melon Optics.
Make them how you want, they're decent in terms of fit and materials and the service is 1st class. Not necessarily inexpensive but comparable in price to some Giro Blok goggles I bought and they're SO much better, with hard case and spare clear lenses.

Would definitely buy again..
They look pretty good, price is not bad either.

jrewing

Eats Squid
I’ve run heaps of brands. My favourite are the xbrand gox. Cheap but super comfortable. Supports Rich Taylor too

binner

Hath shat hymself
100% accuri and buy from a mx store... cheaper than mtb store (usually) good peripheral vision, nice fit, good pricepoint and cheap on different lenses...
only other goggle I have ever used are SPY ....well FUG yeah and at a cost

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
You will be surprised to walk through the design features of the IXS goggles. Suggest go with what the boys chose :)

We were walked through the range earlier in the year although we were focused on the higher end Trigger lines. Talking to the design guys was eye opening. Things from the pitch of the len, to the distance to your eyes and the curvature of the lens. Coupled with material choice with recycle-ability and repair-ability of the goggle to extend its working and after life. Very impressed with IXS as a company.

We aren’t carrying them currently as we think we need Helmets ... but that’s a fucked story of Australian stupidness that lumps MTB helmets with a road focus Standard that has a big fracking disclaimer within it specific wording that essentially states MTB and BMX helmets aren’t adequately covered by the mandatory testing ..
Because of the off-road nature of their use ... but must comply anyway ... so fuck you here’s a massive barrier to entry that NZ can easily bypass (eventhough it’s an AU and NZ standard) and the UK can easily side step.

Meh ... nothing more to add re goggles.

ozzybmx

My boys both ride IXS Trail helmets, bloody good coverage. Its a decent brand and really good trail lids.

#2 Son got a warranty replacement Proframe and got it in Gold... so goggle colour is limited, the IXS look the goods. #1 son is a red man and a Fox brand lover.