Recommendations for bearing removal kits?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I'm after a tool (set) to remove MTB pivot bearings, I think it's called a "blind bearing puller". I want to be able to remove various pivot bearings, hub bearings and a pressfit bottom bracket. Is this the kind of thing I need:

https://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7TO4N0BL/title/torpedo7-blind-bearing---bushing-remover-set

Are there any better, cheaper option out there?

Up until now I've been punching them out with a screwdriver, which really isn't very elegant and can cause scratches to parts.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Got one. Mostly use it for bike wheel bearings to be honest. It does work on pivot bearings but can be a bit fraught because a bike frame doesn't weigh very much.

The thread driven units from Wheels Manufacturing and Enduro are less violent but do rely on flat surfaces around the pivot bearing to get them to work. I have the early Giant Maestro pull/push set but even that doesn't match up to the later frames entirely.

DIY is doable with bolts, nuts, washers, sockets and adapters made of plastic breadboard. The breadboard is sanded and shaped to match the pivot point bearing surround. Fiddly the first time but it does work.

stirk

Burner
Tools that are made to a standard which will last a long time then spend big on quality. MTB specific tools, hack that shit any which way you can as it'll last 5 years at best before the standard becomes obsolete. Progress loves innovation.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you asked LBS what they would charge for this? It might be less then buying the tools and spending the time to DIY

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I've a puller set you can borrow, what is the smallest bearing ID you need to pull out? I think my set goes down to 10mm ID.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Have you asked LBS what they would charge for this? It might be less then buying the tools and spending the time to DIY
I'd much rather learn how to do this myself. I can do most other (maintenance) things on a bike (apart from shock and damper services), so this is something I'd really like to have the tools for.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I've a puller set you can borrow, what is the smallest bearing ID you need to pull out? I think my set goes down to 10mm ID.
Thanks, but I'm pretty sure I need to go down to 8mm.

This is looking attractive:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131671818303?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I actually have no idea how these tool work, but from what I gather they don't really 'pull' the bearings, just grip into them using a wedge/claw mech that can then be hammered out. Like this:

https://vimeo.com/75344347

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use rapid racer stuff, great but as stated can get expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Thanks, but I'm pretty sure I need to go down to 8mm.

This is looking attractive:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131671818303?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I actually have no idea how these tool work, but from what I gather they don't really 'pull' the bearings, just grip into them using a wedge/claw mech that can then be hammered out. Like this:

https://vimeo.com/75344347
That's the kit I have, must have the smaller collet somewhere in the workshop. I'll have a hunt tonight.

They are a split tip wedge that slides through the bearings ID and you do up a pin that spreads the tips to grip the bearing. You then attach a slide hammer and pull.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also recommend rapid racer. similar can be done with some pipe of sizes washers etc but it wont be quite as nice.

alternatively a mate with a lathe it would be a pretty quick and easy exercise

Nautonier

Eats Squid
That's the kit I have, must have the smaller collet somewhere in the workshop. I'll have a hunt tonight.

They are a split tip wedge that slides through the bearings ID and you do up a pin that spreads the tips to grip the bearing. You then attach a slide hammer and pull.
Where did you get your kit? I'm going to check out Bunnings, although that $60 Ebay kit looks like it would do the job.

I don't understand the slide hammer concept - what does it pull against? In the video he puts it in a vice and uses a normal hammer to whack it out.

EDIT: this seems to explain it quite well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNCKmPPdNqQ

Last edited:

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Where did you get your kit? I'm going to check out Bunnings, although that $60 Ebay kit looks like it would do the job.

I don't understand the slide hammer concept - what does it pull against? In the video he puts it in a vice and uses a normal hammer to whack it out.
Bunnings don't sell the slide hammer pullers. Well it's not listed in the online catalogue anyway. let me know if you have any luck in store. Supercheap don't either.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I had a race and a bearing well and truly stuck in chain/seat stay Junction the boys giant. I bought this, worked a treat. Only paid $40 though.

*the views expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of a sane well adjusted human.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I had a race and a bearing well and truly stuck in chain/seat stay Junction the boys giant. I bought this, worked a treat. Only paid $40 though.

*the views expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of a sane well adjusted human.
Good to know, think I'll pull the pin.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Google only gave me 13,746 returns...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Google only gave me 13,746 returns...

'Wadja Xpect' Ya dealing with amateurs.

You can make a slide hammer pretty easily but for $60 new, I wouldn't bother.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Bit of a revival ... anyone using the above bearing puller kit?

Reviews on Amazon say the lip of the collet wears out quickly then loses grip.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Look up t&e tools. They have good bearing puller kits. They are more expensive but the collets last and are individually replaceable.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I have a T&E blind puller and the collets are no different to the above referenced kits in red blow moulded plastic cases from eBay . They still wear.

The dramas all centre around the 10-14mm ID bearings, these collets last about 8 properly stuck bearings on average.

When replacing bearings, it’s best to notch the spacers in 4 opposing positions to allow punching out old bearings next time. Still doesn’t help with Specialized’s double blind bearings in fsr frames.