Recovery

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,
I wasn't 100 percent sure about what forum to post this in, but i thought you guys would know the most!
So the story goes that i came down with a nasty case of tonsillitis over the weekend. And its killing me,
so i went to the doctors and got put on the Penicillin and pain killers, and he was saying that if they have done nothing (the drugs) come back in because there is a high chance that I will most likely have Glandular fever. i have been looking it up and i am getting a few more of the signs for it (i.e, random rashes, glands in neck swollen etc). My appetite has gone (1/5th of the size.) and im sleeping for up to 18 hours a day.
so the point in this thread is, what is the best way to recover? i have exams in a few weeks times and i want to be up to full strength for them plus i am missing being on the bike and things like that.
Any help would be Greatly appreciated,
cheers guys

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Bike riding is secondary at this point, exams are generally a one chance deal. Get rest, take your meds, drink plenty of water and eat les volume but more frequently. Most importantly listen to your body, the bike will be there waiting till your well and past the exams.

Short term loss, long term gains

Quiggs

driftking

Wheel size expert
I think the best advice is to take the doctors advice. I would go back though ASAP, if you are getting more symptoms you need to get a diagnosis, a blood test might help as well.
When I'm sick I do a few things.
-Take the meds and make sure I finish the round even If I feel better.
-Eat more garlic, chilli
-tonnes of fruit and veggies
-green tea (add 20%orange juice it amplified the absorbtion from about 10% upto 80-90%)
-I take a vit c supplement daily or a daily multivit.
-make sure I drink plenty of water
-cut out as much sugar as I can
-rest up
-edit: sun light (silly goose below reminded me of this one) super important.
-sometimes doing small very low intensity exercise like walking (this varys with the sickness and what's best though)

This is just what I do, of course you need to make sure when going herbal or natural route it can't interfere with the medication and you need to make sure that you eat to your body, many people should avoid herbs or foods due to other medical conditions and thier effects eg BP changes or blood clotting problems, blood thining etc.

This thing ls I try to eat like this all the time now it makes sense to prevent it. We shouldn't just eat healthy when we need it but all the time.
I know some people think food cant help but from expience and reading its impossible to say it doesn't and I am 100% sure these foods and herbal foods can help.

As for what to do speak to the dr and follow thier advice and use common sense.

Last edited:

Silly Goose

Likes Bikes
I've had chronic fatigue for 2 years since it was in year seven and the thing I can tell you is have set rest periods do some study, and the thing that works wonders for me is Lime turmeric and ginger juice, If not then just eat lots of ginger it will burn but I haven't had a cold for months (even with auto immune) because of it.
Do some gentle up and down the street riding which is what I did for months and sit outside in the sun.
Don't get stressed or sad you"ll be better in no time
Feel free to Pm me

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Didnt want to quote both of you because it was too long. but here goes.
Driftking, i did go back to the doctors today, got the blood test and currently waiting for the results,
-im currently struggling to eat a thing. i have to force water down, and the only food i eat is soft food like yoghurt and soup (i have been mashing up so fruits like bananas to try keep them going down) but still. eating them still takes lots of time and is quite painful and sometimes leaves me with tears in my eyes.
- will definitely have to get onto the Vit c and the green tea.
-I have been forcing the meds down when they are needed, no more no less.
-Im getting as much water in as possible. and my diet means there is barley any sugars in it at the moment
- i have been getting 18 - 20 hours sleep a day. and even when i am awake, im still destroyed and struggling to keep my eyes open
- when i am awake, i try sit out side, and usually talk with elderly neighbors. keeps me sane when family is out most of the day.
- Exercise kills me. in my current state, it gives me a dry throat and makes me thirsty from walking about 50 metres. the dry throat is a killer because it makes it that little bit extra painful to drink.

thanks Silly Goose, you must know how to deal with it.
I have been trying to sit down and study every now and then, but end up falling asleep after 5-10 mins of it.
not a fan of ginger. but im willing to get over that to give myself that little edge over this.
And with the exercise, as i stated above Exercise kills me. in my current state, it gives me a dry throat and makes me thirsty from walking about 50 metres. the dry throat is a killer because it makes it that little bit extra painful to drink.
My teachers are helping because they understand everything and not pressing on me for assignments/work. they know i will do my best and get it into them in the best state/time i can.

thank you for the help guys! i get the results of the blood test tomorrow, so fingers crossed even though the doctor said things wernt exactly looking pretty.

driftking

Wheel size expert
If you can keep fluid down I would suggest you look at sustagen either hospital grade or sport grade. It does have decent sugar but it also packs lots of calories and tonnes of vitamins and minerals. It doesn't have fibre though but it is designed for sport to help keep the stomach comfortable.
You can get fibre ones though.

As for food just aim to eat when you can as I'm sure are doing, light meals and if you can find foods that pack good nutrients and calories.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you can keep fluid down I would suggest you look at sustagen either hospital grade or sport grade. It does have decent sugar but it also packs lots of calories and tonnes of vitamins and minerals. It doesn't have fibre though but it is designed for sport to help keep the stomach comfortable.
You can get fibre ones though.

As for food just aim to eat when you can as I'm sure are doing, light meals and if you can find foods that pack good nutrients and calories.
Will get mum to go for a squiz in the shops on the way home from her work.
thanks for that :)

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Take it easy. Glanduar fever (or even just tonsellitus) is a major blow to your body. It is not just an annoying cold that goes in a week or two. You are going to have to rest properly.

Also don't worry too much about the exams. Try to do well, but if you don't you can always have another go - it is just annoying and 'wastes' time (much easier if you do it the first time) but it can be done. There are also alternative pathways to do what ever you want to do. Don't box yourself in.

Also be careful about drinking too much water! Appropriate hydration is important, but you can flush your kidneys out too - and that is no good! You can't 'flush' the bug away - your immune system will kill it for you, not rinse it out.

Also there is some interesting research on doing judicial amounts of weight training can help recovery - but you have to do it in the right way at the right time, not just go out and do your normal sets etc at your normal weight. Maybe look up on google

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
Didnt want to quote both of you because it was too long. but here goes.
Driftking, i did go back to the doctors today, got the blood test and currently waiting for the results,
-im currently struggling to eat a thing. i have to force water down, and the only food i eat is soft food like yoghurt and soup (i have been mashing up so fruits like bananas to try keep them going down) but still. eating them still takes lots of time and is quite painful and sometimes leaves me with tears in my eyes.
- will definitely have to get onto the Vit c and the green tea.
-I have been forcing the meds down when they are needed, no more no less.
-Im getting as much water in as possible. and my diet means there is barley any sugars in it at the moment
- i have been getting 18 - 20 hours sleep a day. and even when i am awake, im still destroyed and struggling to keep my eyes open
- when i am awake, i try sit out side, and usually talk with elderly neighbors. keeps me sane when family is out most of the day.
- Exercise kills me. in my current state, it gives me a dry throat and makes me thirsty from walking about 50 metres. the dry throat is a killer because it makes it that little bit extra painful to drink.
Definitely sounds like tonsillitis with the dry throat, tired and if it hurts that much to eat. I found that drinking something like Pepsi max actually soothed my throat a lot especially when it was ice cold. Nothing else you can do except rest up as much as possible. Unless it's Year 12 exams don't worry about it and even then Im pretty sure you can apply for some assistance for them.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Will get mum to go for a squiz in the shops on the way home from her work.
thanks for that :)
Just aim for sport or hospital grade, for hospital grade you ussually need to goto the chemist, it's none prescription but supermarkets don't carry it often.

The standard grade has plenty of vit and min but it is required to take with milk so that is taken into account. Therefore if you take it with water it only offers 50 calories and the rdi of the nutrients are lower than stated.

The sport and hospital grade can be taken with water so the rdi of the contents Are what you get with water and packs 250 -400 calories depending on which one you get. If you can stomach milk that will add more calories and nutrients.

Last edited:

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cypher, a few mates of mine have had it before, and i always thought they were playing it up a bit.... now that i have it, i know they definitely were not.... :p
and they are only year 10 exams, but the way my school has gone about it is that if i don't do well this semester. they wont let me into the subjects i want for year 11 and 12. that's the only reason im stressed about exams.
and i dont think i will be drinking too much, as i only sit there and sip every now and then when im awake, and have a mouthful or two when i wake up (every 2-3 hours) then doze off again.
I dont think i would be up to weight training yet, but that is something when i am recovering and feeling better, i will have a look into.

Morgan, its definitely tonsillitis as the doctor has confirmed that + i was interested in what my tonsils looked like and crapped myself when there was massive white spots on them, to later find out they were puss in my tonsils....
Don't think i will be able to get mum to get me some Pepsi max or drinks like that, im currently sticking to cold water and its working well, now most of my drinks are at least cold (juice, water, etc) i do notice a little easier to have them, but not a huge amount. But hey, its a start!
as stated above it is only year 10 exams, but the way my school has gone about it is that if i don't do well this semester. they wont let me into the subjects i want for year 11 and 12. that's the only reason im stressed about exams.

driftking, i used to work for a chemist when i was younger doing the rounds to all the old people that couldn't get themselves to the chemists to easily. The one thing that has stuck in my head from the 2 years of doing it, is the sustagen. Dont ask me why, its just the one thing i remember exactly where is was. Mums in at the chemest a fair bit these days, so i will see if she can pick some up for me :)

And quick question, Does anyone know how easily i could give this to someone else? my brother is now a week (i think) away from his year exams and i would feel so bad if i gave this to him.
thanks for the help guys

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
Morgan, its definitely tonsillitis as the doctor has confirmed that + i was interested in what my tonsils looked like and crapped myself when there was massive white spots on them, to later find out they were puss in my tonsils....
Don't think i will be able to get mum to get me some Pepsi max or drinks like that, im currently sticking to cold water and its working well, now most of my drinks are at least cold (juice, water, etc) i do notice a little easier to have them, but not a huge amount. But hey, its a start!
as stated above it is only year 10 exams, but the way my school has gone about it is that if i don't do well this semester. they wont let me into the subjects i want for year 11 and 12. that's the only reason im stressed about exams.
Have you got the results if its glandular or not? Yeh the puss is pretty bad lol. I had tonsillitis 6 times last year (ended up getting them taken out) and thanks to a couple of bottles of pepsi max I could work a full day as a chippy, the bubbles are amazing!
That's bullshit they're just trying to bluff you, if they do that just get your parents to have a go at them and they'll back down. Once you leave school you realise just how much they used to bluff you.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Yeah sustagen is pretty well used in elderly or for nutritional boosts and for refeeding after hospital stays. I get the sport one but the hospital one sounds like it might be better for you as your not eating.

If you are sick make sure you get a certificate from the dr.
Try not to stress, stress could be the reason you ended up with these infections. Relax and focus on getting better, ask your parents to work with the school and just keep you upto date so you don't need to be worrying. The less worrying you do the faster you will recover. Stress can really run down the body.

Glandular fever can be passed on mainly by contact with saliva so I'd assume air droplets are also a concern though I am not sure if it is passes by air like breathing in the same space.
Tonsilities is contagious via droplets in the air.
So both can be transferred by sneezing or coughing etc.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you got the results if its glandular or not?
That's bullshit they're just trying to bluff you, if they do that just get your parents to have a go at them and they'll back down.
Just got call from doctor then, and yeah, its glandular.. Brilliant!
And yeah i think my results are good enough for me not to need to propperly sit exam. especially in this situation.

Yeah sustagen is pretty well used in elderly or for nutritional boosts and for refeeding after hospital stays. I get the sport one but the hospital one sounds like it might be better for you as your not eating.

If you are sick make sure you get a certificate from the dr.
Try not to stress, stress could be the reason you ended up with these infections. Relax and focus on getting better, ask your parents to work with the school and just keep you upto date so you don't need to be worrying. The less worrying you do the faster you will recover. Stress can really run down the body.

Glandular fever can be passed on mainly by contact with saliva so I'd assume air droplets are also a concern though I am not sure if it is passes by air like breathing in the same space.
Tonsilities is contagious via droplets in the air.
So both can be transferred by sneezing or coughing etc.
getting a certificate from the doc next visit (sometime next week)
trying not to stress as much, but its pretty hard not too. and usually when im stressed i go for a ride or run...... and i cant currently do that. :/
and yeah trying my best to stay well clear of my brother so he can stay healthy for his year 12 exams :)

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, i had some sustagen last night. and it worked quite well, it was quite easy to swallow and quite tasty, and consumed lots of my time reading whats in it (curiosity kills me sometimes).
Just now need to play with the water/milk to powder ratio and it shall be sweet.

Also. i have lost 6 Kg's since Sunday. it was time for me to loose a bit of weight but that quick??
is that normal with this sickness. Yeah im not eating much, but im doing next to shit all as well.
and at the rate im going, if the doctor says you will feel this bad for 2 weeks will this weight loss pattern continue?

driftking

Wheel size expert
So, i had some sustagen last night. and it worked quite well, it was quite easy to swallow and quite tasty, and consumed lots of my time reading whats in it (curiosity kills me sometimes).
Just now need to play with the water/milk to powder ratio and it shall be sweet.

Also. i have lost 6 Kg's since Sunday. it was time for me to loose a bit of weight but that quick??
is that normal with this sickness. Yeah im not eating much, but im doing next to shit all as well.
and at the rate im going, if the doctor says you will feel this bad for 2 weeks will this weight loss pattern continue?
If your eat very little to no calories yes you can drop very quick, mix that with higher energy needs from the sickness. You should slow down though the body will hit a starvation mode and the weight loss will slow. Just keep up with trying to eat and when you can eat try find foods that are calorie dense. The sustagen will be good as I said it packs some good calories and nutirents pretty much a meal in a glass.

I have a fast metabolism and i have lost 5kg in 5-7days of almost zero eating before. You tend to drop a fair it in the first week as the body uses its stores and then hits starvation. The goal is to as mentioned just slowly build up your food.
Good to hear the sustagen goes down well, that should really help.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If your eat very little to no calories yes you can drop very quick, mix that with higher energy needs from the sickness. You should slow down though the body will hit a starvation mode and the weight loss will slow. Just keep up with trying to eat and when you can eat try find foods that are calorie dense. The sustagen will be good as I said it packs some good calories and nutirents pretty much a meal in a glass.

I have a fast metabolism and i have lost 5kg in 5-7days of almost zero eating before. You tend to drop a fair it in the first week as the body uses its stores and then hits starvation. The goal is to as mentioned just slowly build up your food.
Good to hear the sustagen goes down well, that should really help.
Dad walked in just before. He said proudly 'I bet you dont know what is really good for you at the moment!'
i said 'no'.
So He pulls another big thing of Sustagen out. Gave me my first propper smile and even a small laugh all week

OIL

Likes Dirt
hey man, sounds like you are slowly getting there - keep thinking like a geriatric... :)

i suffered from Glandular Fever at least three times growing up - once was coupled with pneumonia and it took a massive toll on my body. no energy and copious amounts of green stuff coming up whenever i even thought about exercising. you just HAVE to rest and let the body and medicine fight it, and like most of the guys here have said - get the olds to let the school know that they will be arranging alternative exam arrangements for you. THEY are paying the school fees, if YOU are too sick to sit at your full potential THEY must make allowances for you.

Cant remember where you were at with the Tonsillitis, i too was getting this every year, pretty much any time I decided to stop working and take a holiday including Christmas break etc, became a bit of a joke - getting tonsillitis every few months - WTF?!?!?. I highly recommend if you get recurrent tonsilitis have them removed. i had mine removed at 36....had the best nights sleep EVER at the hospital after the general anaesthetic... :couch2: then two weeks basically pepped up on hard drugs sleeping on the couch - bliss...and i have barely been sick since.

as for the bike riding (lack of), i just had 3 months off with a broken hand - so to pass the time i built another bike! that'll get you through dude...

oh yeah, try not to pash your brother...

get well soon!

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey man, sounds like you are slowly getting there - keep thinking like a geriatric... :)

i suffered from Glandular Fever at least three times growing up - once was coupled with pneumonia and it took a massive toll on my body. no energy and copious amounts of green stuff coming up whenever i even thought about exercising. you just HAVE to rest and let the body and medicine fight it, and like most of the guys here have said - get the olds to let the school know that they will be arranging alternative exam arrangements for you. THEY are paying the school fees, if YOU are too sick to sit at your full potential THEY must make allowances for you.

Cant remember where you were at with the Tonsillitis, i too was getting this every year, pretty much any time I decided to stop working and take a holiday including Christmas break etc, became a bit of a joke - getting tonsillitis every few months - WTF?!?!?. I highly recommend if you get recurrent tonsilitis have them removed. i had mine removed at 36....had the best nights sleep EVER at the hospital after the general anaesthetic... :couch2: then two weeks basically pepped up on hard drugs sleeping on the couch - bliss...and i have barely been sick since.

as for the bike riding (lack of), i just had 3 months off with a broken hand - so to pass the time i built another bike! that'll get you through dude...

oh yeah, try not to pash your brother...

get well soon!
Yeah im slowly getting there, its taking a long time though.
This is my first time with glandular and 2nd time with tonsillitis. but got it much worst this time.
been resting up well and sorted everything out with the school. they understand and they are playing it on how i would like it, :)
The tonsillitis is finally easing up. But still a long way from home, still not able to eat much, but its more than just liquids :D

Would love to build another bike, but too bad im too poor to afford anything at all right now :(

and pashing my brother isnt something i have planned....
Thanks OIL

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
The tonsillitis is finally easing up. But still a long way from home, still not able to eat much, but its more than just liquids :D
Are you not eating because of pain or because you're not hungry? Heard of people having so much pain in their throats they couldn't eat from it but I never had that problem at all.