Red Hill; Legal trails

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
You could ride it on a HT but it would be a lot more enjoyable on a dualie.
This hurts to say because I love hardtails and I love Red Hill but.... I doubt a hardtail would be much fun there. You've got decent elevation for most tracks and nothing is smooth - it's all choppy, rooty and rocky mixed in with the usual braking bumps etc.

botcolon

have seat, will sniff
Just got my hands on a 2017 fuel ex8 29er and keen to head up to redhill. I'm in seaford 3198. Any other locals on here? I'm 40ish and keen to get back into mtb.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Just got my hands on a 2017 fuel ex8 29er and keen to head up to redhill. I'm in seaford 3198. Any other locals on here? I'm 40ish and keen to get back into mtb.
I'm about 20 km north but happily ride Red Hill. Can show you around one Saturday if it works? I'm 10+ years into my 40's.....

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For those in the know...
Am I going to have any fun at Red Hill climbing up on a Capra to come back down? I'm a bit sick of Lysterfield/Youies/Wombat so looking at places further afield but if the climb is a killer (would only get a couple of runs in before I'm spent) I'll wait for shuttle days and look elsewhere

Boom King

For those in the know...
Am I going to have any fun at Red Hill climbing up on a Capra to come back down? I'm a bit sick of Lysterfield/Youies/Wombat so looking at places further afield but if the climb is a killer (would only get a couple of runs in before I'm spent) I'll wait for shuttle days and look elsewhere
If you manage a lap of Lystey with the Comm Games climb included, you shouldn't have an issue with Red Hill. Trails are fun if fairly short. Sawtooth and Charlotte's Pass are longer and a lot of fun but a fair way from the main trail head, on the Western side of Arthur's Seat. The climb (push) back up from the bottom of Charlotte's is ordinary.

teK--

Eats Squid
^^ What he said.

The runs at Red Hill are probably about same length as Follow Me/Aneurysm but with greater elevation drop in most cases. The climb back up is mostly via fireroad. If you can do a full lap at Lystie with aneurysm/follow me/commgames you would have no issue getting a good 5-6 runs in at Red Hill.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
For those in the know...
Will you have fun climbing? probably not, but you cant ride down hills if you dont ride up...
you dont get fitter by not doing those killer climbs... keep at it and they get easier each time, our hills in melbourne are only little compared to the rest of the world.. or just stick to lysterfield.

GTBoy

Likes Bikes
Am I right in thinking there are now more legal tracks than are shown on the current map? I hear there is a track called sawtooth but it's not on any maps.

I'm happy to help update the map if it's needed. I'm cartographer by trade.
Cheers

gillyske

Likes Dirt
For those in the know...
You'll have more fun at Harcourt, but Red Hil's black diamond runs are really good, if not a bit short.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Am I right in thinking there are now more legal tracks than are shown on the current map? I hear there is a track called sawtooth but it's not on any maps.

I'm happy to help update the map if it's needed. I'm cartographer by trade.
Cheers
I ride at Red Hill a fair bit and as far as I know there are no new legal tracks. There are quite a few well known trails that are not yet legal and I’m not sure where everything is at with negotiations on making them legal. Sawtooth is pretty well known as is Crusher and a swag of trails in the Eaton Cutting region. Sawtooth and Crusher may one day be legal but Eatons is on private property and under threat from a new quarry opening up.

Would be awesome to have them all mapped but probably not helpful for keeping them ‘under the radar’ and open

Boom King

I thought Sawtooth and Crusher became legal with approval of stage 2 last year.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I thought Sawtooth and Crusher became legal with approval of stage 2 last year.
I saw some tape across the top section of crusher just last week with a ‘no illegal trail building’ sign. Maybe that was just the top section???

what happened to duckmeister? Can’t seem to tag him in and ask him