Red Hill; Legal trails

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I saw some tape across the top section of crusher just last week with a ‘no illegal trail building’ sign. Maybe that was just the top section???

what happened to duckmeister? Can’t seem to tag him in and ask him
I went into hibernation for a while......

Top of Crusher is still very much under construction, so access is discouraged until it's ready - which won't be for a few months yet as no works will be done until we get past the height of summer & start getting some moisture back into the dirt; at this time of year the dirt is unstable fluff so trail works are pointless 'cos it won't settle in.

There are usually a few "no unauthorised trail works" signs scattered around the place even on the established legal trails, because we do get local ratbags cutting in new lines, usually during school hols....

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
A bit of a Stage 2 update... The club and Park Vic have finally cut through all the bureaucratic bullshit, which means we're just about to begin proper works to get the first parts of Stage 2 completed and formalised! :-D The initial phase will see completeion of Crusher and the Sawtooth loop, the return climb component of which is variously known as Sawlegs, Sawlungs or Bowsaw, and the building-from-scratch of the long-awaited Vomit Bypass. This all-new trail will be a green-rated two-way trail to provide a gentler descent than Rock Salt, and an easier climb than the pig of a fire road above the central trail junction. Works are scheduled from next week through to late July, so please respect any trail closures during this time to avoid prolonging the construction more than necessary. :)

TM2

Likes Bikes
A bit of a Stage 2 update... The club and Park Vic have finally cut through all the bureaucratic bullshit, which means we're just about to begin proper works to get the first parts of Stage 2 completed and formalised! :-D The initial phase will see completeion of Crusher and the Sawtooth loop, the return climb component of which is variously known as Sawlegs, Sawlungs or Bowsaw, and the building-from-scratch of the long-awaited Vomit Bypass. This all-new trail will be a green-rated two-way trail to provide a gentler descent than Rock Salt, and an easier climb than the pig of a fire road above the central trail junction. Works are scheduled from next week through to late July, so please respect any trail closures during this time to avoid prolonging the construction more than necessary. :)
What's the best way to get involved with helping out with the trail building (I've no experience but plenty of spare time at the moment)

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
What's the best way to get involved with helping out with the trail building (I've no experience but plenty of spare time at the moment)
i put in my vicjob covid database thingy i’m prepared to help with trail re builds, either mtb or walking for parks vic whoever..also happy to travel, have done an mtba trail bldg/maint. course, club paid $4k for a group of us to do it few yrs ago..heard nothing

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Unfortunately due to current restrictions all voluntary work on the trails is suspended indefinitely; these upcoming works wil be undertaken by a professional firm. If you're interested in helping out once the restrictions are lifted, contact the club either via email of their Farcebook page. For insurance purposes you will need to hold a MTBA membership. Once restrictions are lifted, the trail crew will be resuming weekly building/maintenance sessions on Tuesday afternoons.

Reactions: TM2

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Just a reminder that parts of Sawtooth and Crusher are closed for construction works. Please stay off those bits until they're ready. :)

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Anyone ridden Sawtooth or Charlotte's recently? What are trail conditions like? Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G960N using Tapatalk

danncam

Likes Dirt
I'm champing at the bit to get down there now I can. The RHR facebook does warn of wet trails at the mo. I think they have also not been allowed to do any trail maintenance for a while. That said I'm thinking of heading down today after work:)

Last edited:

Boom King

I'm champing at the bit to get down there now I can. The RHR facebook does warn of we trails at the mo. I think they have also not been allowed to do any trail maintenance for a while. That said I'm thinking of heading down today after work:)
If you head over to the Seawinds side, let me know trail conditions. I'm heading there tomorrow after work.

danncam

Likes Dirt
If you head over to the Seawinds side, let me know trail conditions. I'm heading there tomorrow after work.

will do, but I'm unlikely to hit that side if I make it today, sorry. My 25 gets me to the dromana side.

Boom King

will do, but I'm unlikely to hit that side if I make it today, sorry. My 25 gets me to the dromana side.
I'm happy for you either way. Let me know what the main trails are like as I can do both sides.

kip01

Likes Dirt
Sawtooth was in great nic, only a few wet patches. The new climb out, Bowsaw, was great too, with a few bog holes. Hadn't ridden for 4 1/2 months, was one of the best rides ever.

Whats sawtooth and bowsaw? Never heard of these