Red Hill; Legal trails

kip01

Likes Dirt
Oh, they must be doing some work. I used it a week ago.
We went right up the steep fire Rd, however there's another track that runs next to it which is not as steep anyone know where this goes? Also found some hidden jumps across from the lake

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
We went right up the steep fire Rd, however there's another track that runs next to it which is not as steep anyone know where this goes? Also found some hidden jumps across from the lake
Trail to the left as you head up the fire road is Bowsaw, to the right is Sawtooth.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The bit at the bottom is an experimental line that didn't work.

Edit for detail: the plan was to build Bowsaw all the way from the bottom, but the problem is the lowest bit is only a very narrow corridor between the fire road and fenceline of adjoining properties, and there simply isn't enough room to work across the slope to tame the gradient and give any kind of run between switchbacks. So it got canned.

Last edited:

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Yeah it’s a tough section whether you attempt to climb it or walk it
with your bike , it’s brutal either way in the sun .

bowsaw was open today

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Another new one soon to be opened is the long-awaited Vomit Climb bypass, which is to be called Wonga. I haven't yet seen it, but basically it links Pink Line & Slippery Gypsy, and skirting OT Dam, which is just down the slope a bit from the tops of Gypsy & Crusher. Two-way, Wonga is also a gentler alternative descent to Rock Salt. I'm led to believe that Pink Line will be renamed and morphed into a section of Wonga.

Bungers

Squid
I am told that Wonga and Crusher are now open. :)
As per Parks Victoria Web page - (at the bottom of the page) https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/places...-state-park/things-to-do/mountain-bike-riding

• Arthurs Seat State Park
    New Mountain Bike Trails now open!

Wonga – A new 1.5km green (easy) meandering shared user trail with a natural surface trail and minimal grade. This trail links riders from the top of the Park at the OT Tank off Arthurs Seat Road to Wombat junction. Wonga is the Bunurong name for Arthurs Seat.

Crusher – A 1.1km black diamond (difficult) trail with significant upgrades and an entire new section. Crusher will test your skills from top to bottom. You will encounter drops, rocks, huge roots, off camber sections and jump lines for those who can find them. Natural and man-made features in abundance. Red Hill technical riding at its best. Not for the faint hearted.

Updated map still to come, temporary maps on site (Wombat Junction and OT Tank) to get you there. Thank you for your patience whilst we completed the final works on these trails.

Bungers

Squid
Went out for a ride with my son today. Rode from the Tank car park and rode Sawtooth and Bowsaw, came back and finished off with Wonga. Wonga was a lot of fun. Fast, smooth and flowing. Heaps better way to get to and from Wombat Junction.

Sent from my Nokia 3.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Had one run through crusher , was pretty full on for a first time :)

Looking forward to becoming a bit more familiar with it all , there is plenty happening in there

danncam

Likes Dirt
Had one run through crusher , was pretty full on for a first time :)

Looking forward to becoming a bit more familiar with it all , there is plenty happening in there
I find crusher hard, that roller coaster right hander is well beyond me for now.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
In a move that many say is well overdue, the lower section of Rock Salt will become one-way from Feb. 1st. There have been several incidents on that bit over the years, leading to calls to make it descent-only, but PV kept it two-way because until the recent opening of Wonga it was the only upward piece of singletrack.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
In a move that many say is well overdue, the lower section of Rock Salt will become one-way from Feb. 1st. There have been several incidents on that bit over the years, leading to calls to make it descent-only, but PV kept it two-way because until the recent opening of Wonga it was the only upward piece of singletrack.
Nice, rode Sawtooth, Bowsaw and Crusher yesterday with @moorey, great work.

Are there any plans for a climb out of Charlotte's Pass? I love that trail but pushing up Two Bays trail sucks big ones.....

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I believe there is a plan for a climb out of Charlottes, but I have no idea about approval status or timeline. When I was on the committee and the Stage 2 proposal was going through PV, that trail was knocked back, pending further assessment, and I don't know what happened since.