Red Hill; Legal trails

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Went down for a quick exploratory run today. Rode Rock Salt, Pins and Needles, Pines and Fall Line.

Nice trails, roots and off camber on Pins was new terrain for me which is always nice. I hate climbing but the ride up through the Pine forest was nice and serene. Fall line was flowing and fun, the only thing I didn't like was the climb back up the fire road. If I had more time I would have gone across the bottom back to Pine climb.

All in all, it's a really nice set of trails and I'm glad to have another option not too far from home. Well done to all involved.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went down for a quick exploratory run today. Rode Rock Salt, Pins and Needles, Pines and Fall Line.

Nice trails, roots and off camber on Pins was new terrain for me which is always nice. I hate climbing but the ride up through the Pine forest was nice and serene. Fall line was flowing and fun, the only thing I didn't like was the climb back up the fire road. If I had more time I would have gone across the bottom back to Pine climb.

All in all, it's a really nice set of trails and I'm glad to have another option not too far from home. Well done to all involved.
Yeah I always loop back a few times and ride up Pine Climb. The fire trail up to Fall Line is horrific.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
AKA Ball Bearings. Yes, it's horrific. An alternate climb is High Roller (Track 7). Just as you begin Pine Climb (6), there's a T-junction; instead of going left up 6, hang right & that'll lead you onto 7. It's a gentler climb than Pine Climb for the most part, except the top.... It spits out onto the fire road a bit below the 5-Ways (Slippery Gypsy/Wombat/Fall Line/ Pine Climb/Pins & Neeles) junction, so it's a short kick straight up the hill to get you back there.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
AKA Ball Bearings. Yes, it's horrific. An alternate climb is High Roller (Track 7). Just as you begin Pine Climb (6), there's a T-junction; instead of going left up 6, hang right & that'll lead you onto 7. It's a gentler climb than Pine Climb for the most part, except the top.... It spits out onto the fire road a bit below the 5-Ways (Slippery Gypsy/Wombat/Fall Line/ Pine Climb/Pins & Neeles) junction, so it's a short kick straight up the hill to get you back there.
I sometimes do that for a change, but at the top just link into the last bit of Pine Climb on the other side of the fire trail.

I am not a fan of fire trails.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
On the subject of firetrails (and the avoidance thereof), there's a plan in the works for a new trail to link Slippery Gypsy with Pink Line, bypassing the other bitch of a firetrail (which I call The Peacemaker because it shuts everyone up) that currently is the only climb out (aside from going out the bottom & across to Eatons Cutting) 'cos Rock Salt is one way on its upper section.

There have been some ponderings about extending High Roller that last little bit up to the main junction too, but if/when that's happening I don't know.

Last edited:

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On the subject of firetrails (and the avoidance thereof), there's a plan in the works for a new trail to link Slippery Gypsy with Pink Line, bypassing the other bitch of a firetrail (which I call The Peacemaker because it shuts everyone up) that currently is the only climb out (aside from going out the bottom & across to Eatons Cutting) 'cos Rock Salt is one way on its upper section.

There have been some ponderings about extending High Roller that last little bit up to the main junction too, but if/when that's happening I don't know.
Vomit climb? Yeah that sucks too.

Can't wait for this development.

sundy

Likes Dirt
Can anyone advise on the current trail condition please?
I'm thinking of making my first visit to Red Hill and there's been a bit of rain this week. I don't want to go if i'm going to make a mess of the trails..

thanks

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
It'll be pretty good in the park, it's all granite-based sand in that area so drains well (although conversely East Link (5) across to bottom of the hill suffers when it's been really wet 'cos all the water from further up the hill soaks into it. Shouldn't be anywhere near that wet yet). The only bit that might be a bit slippery is the Loop (12) singletrack section just inside the fence (left from the trailhead) that links across to Crit/Deadwoods.

The roadside stuff, especially east of Eatons Cutting & on the south side of the ridge could be getting a bit mucky; that's on the red basalt/clay stuff & really turns to shit when it's wet.

EDIT: Was down there today (Sunday), and exactly as noted: Pink Line (1) & Loop (12) are firm but slippery, the rest is very good, just the right amount of moisture to stick it all together really nicely. :smile:

Last edited:

sundy

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info Duckmeister.
I didn't make it to the trails on the weekend, but I'll refer back to your post next time.

Boom King

Was out there today and the trails are riding nicely, roots are getting a bit slippy though.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Trail Condition Report, 28/6/15:

Mostly Very Good. The singletrack section of Loop Trail (12) just inside the fence along Arthurs Seat Rd, that links the main trailhead with the Deadwoods/Crit section (10 & 11) is pretty slippery & a bit mucky, Pink Line (1) is a bit slick but firm (and will improve with dry weather), while the rest is awesomely tacky & in excellent nick, with just a couple of slightly squidgy bits in the upper sector of Pine Climb (6).

As this is the first winter of proper public use, it's a real suck it & see situation for us as to just how well the trails will perform under the increased traffic, but we're pretty confident they should hold up OK & feel it's fairly improbable that we'll need to close anything unless local dickheads pull rocks out again.....

Boom King

Was out there on Monday 6/7/15 and the trails were in fantastic condition.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Variable, 'cos there are a couple of flavours of dirt up there. Along the top of the ridge & east toward Red Hill is basalt clay, which gets utterly revolting. Pink Line (Trail 1) and part of Loop Trail (12) are on this stuff, and do get pretty mucky (12 had already been getting pretty mushy the last few weeks I've been down); the rest of the stuff is on granite, which drains a lot better, although East Link (5) along the lower edge of the park cops all the runoff from further up the hill, so it gets pretty squidgy after a lot of rain. Aside from 12, it should all stay pretty good for a while yet.

Evonavich

Squid
Where would be the best trail head to start from to experience the most trails?
I'm heading down this weekend and am keen to see what is in the area.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Quick little heads-up, Track 9, Fall Line will soon be temporarily closed while some berms are reshaped and a short section of trail is realigned to control speed where it crosses the "Ball Bearings" fire road. I don't have an exact timeframe for when works will be done, just "soon". Please respect any closures in place while the trail crew do their thing and while it's settling in.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Trail works on Fall Line (9) today, so that will be closed for a short while to let it settle in. Please stay off it until it's reopened.

Haven't been down for a while, so not sure of the exact trail conditions, but reports via the trail crew are that 12 is still a bit shit, and the upper section of Pine Climb (6) is getting a bit mushy, so High Roller (7) would be a better climb for a little while. Otherwise all is good and open.

Boom King

Trail works on Fall Line (9) today, so that will be closed for a short while to let it settle in. Please stay off it until it's reopened.

Haven't been down for a while, so not sure of the exact trail conditions, but reports via the trail crew are that 12 is still a bit shit, and the upper section of Pine Climb (6) is getting a bit mushy, so High Roller (7) would be a better climb for a little while. Otherwise all is good and open.
Hey Duck, what are Crits, Deadwood and Charlottes like? Worth checking out?