Red Hill; Legal trails

tektek

Likes Dirt
First trip down to Arthurs Seat MTB

Hi Red Hill riders

My family and I are staying down at Rye for the long weekend. I am planning to go riding this Sunday, so wanted some advice before I head out (I have read the this thread and the studied the map).

What I wanted is more information on:

1. Parking is available across road from the shops on boundary road?
2. Rye bike shop is the closest shop if I need any parts?
3. With rain forecasted the next few days, how are the trails (slippery, muddy?)?
4. Anyone else planning to head out that doesn’t mind a someone tagging along on XC bike.

Thanks

Last edited:

Koper25

Likes Dirt
Hi Red Hill riders

My family and I are staying down at Rye for the long weekend. I am planning to go riding this Sunday, so wanted some advice before I head out (I have read the this thread and the studied the map).

What I wanted is more information on:

1. Parking is available across road from the shops on boundary road?
2. Rye bike shop is the closest shop if I need any parts?
3. With rain forecasted the next few days, how are the trails (slippery, muddy?)?
4. Anyone else planning to head out that doesn’t mind a someone tagging along on XC bike.

Thanks
1. Yes.
2. Chainbrain Bike Shop is pretty much opposite the carpark.
3. It's fun in the wet, as long as it's not a total mudfest you'll be fine, roots in the pines get interesting though.
4. No bike for me this weekend :(

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
Park at the top next to the water tank. if you dont you wont do multiple laps. Its a great downhill but a crappy ride up. Bring on the chair lift.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
What if you want to go down Charlottes again?
There isn't really any quick or easy way to get back to the top if you want to do repeats of Charlottes if you don't have someone to shuttle for you. You could try the Two Bays Walking Track, which you spit out onto at the bottom, but it'd be one hell of a push-up track. Be prepared for a hostile reception from walkers though, 'cos it's not a bike-legal trail. Option B would be to roll out the short distance to Bunurong Track (dirt road) which runs across & joins Arthurs Seat Rd about 1/3 of the way up the hill, but you're still faced with a ~2.5km, 10% slog up the road to get to the top. Otherwise it's back along the base of the hill to Boundary Rd & a couple of options up from there, but then you're making a long trip of it.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Temporayr Trail Closure!!

Just got email notice through the club that Parks Vic and DSE or whoever they are this week are conducting a 28ha controlled burn on the north face of Arthurs Seat tomorrow, April 3rd. While the burn is not likely to directly impact on the trails, it's in very close proximity so the entire trail network is closed while the burn is in progress.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
On a more permanent note, with movements suggesting the old quarry is going to be re-activated, the tail-end of Pins & Needles that spits onto the quarry road & out to Boundary Rd is now closed. To get out to the bottom of the hill use the first section of Pine Climb (which you'd pass on the run out of P & N) then East Link and the fire trail to cut across the face of the hill & out to the Boundary Rd carpark.

The DH-y bits around Eatons Cutting (Crusher and Graveyard), which never officially existed anyway, are also now of very questionable accessibility.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
UPDATE:

Charlottes remains closed after the burn, as it's pretty well right in the guts of the burn area, until Parks/whoever determine the area is stable enough to reopen. Fall Line had some more work done last weekend, so is closed to allow it to settle in, but shouldn't be for too long. The rest of the network is open, and with a little bit of rain over the past week is nice & grippy & riding really well.

cogs19

Likes Bikes
All trails are now currently open, but Fall Line may continue to be closed for short periods as more works are done.
Hi Duck,

I plan on visiting Red Hill trails this weekend. Can I ask for some basic details?

Where's the best place to park to access the trails / trailhead? Is there a trail map at the trailhead?

Also, is there anything I need to know about getting around? ie are there (walking?) tracks to avoid? is there a convenient way to access all the trails without having to spend time on roads/fire roads such as good loop to follow?

I've had a look at the website and it's been helpful to a point but things like parking are not really made clear.

Thanks in advance.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Easiest access & parking is at the top carpark at the water tank on Arthurs Seat Rd only about 200 metres west (towards the top of the hill) of the Main Creek Rd intersection (fairly major side road, can't miss it). There's a trail map sign just inside the fence there. Alternatively you can park opposite the shops in Boundary Rd at the bottom of the hill & access the trails through the Hilllview Community Reserve, just follow the path up past the BBQ shelter to get to the trails. There's also a map sign there as you get up to the edge of the park. There is also a map sign at the main track junction toward the centre of the park.

Tracks 1 (Pink Line), 2 (Rock Salt) and 3 (Slippery Gypsy) are separated by short sections of fire road, but from the end of Slippery Gypsy at the central junction the rest of the trails radiate & you can do a few loops with virtually no firetrail. A couple of notes: about halfway down Rock Salt there is a t-junction, take the left, as the right is a short exit link out to the central fire road. At the exit of Rock Salt turn left onto the fire road, then at the junction just a little way along turn right to pick up Slippery Gypsy; the left branch will take you straight down to the main trail junction.

Within the main network of trails there are no walkers-only trails; the nearest is the Friends Track which runs from the fire trail between Pink Line & Rock Salt along the side of the hill toward the outlier trails Crits, Deadwoods and Charlottes. Despite being officially walkers only, it seems to get more bike traffic than foot traffic.... The official link is track 12, which runs just inside the fenceline from the top trailhead to the fire trail which takes you down to Crits & Deadwoods. There's a gate across the road a way down around the curve, but there's a bypass trail up the bank on the left.

I would advise against Charlottes if you do not have a support crew to pick you up from the bottom; finding your way back out to the rest of the network is not easy without local route knowledge, and even if you do know the ways It's quite disjointed from the rest, so adds a decent chunk of time & distance to the ride.

cogs19

Likes Bikes
Easiest access & parking is at the top carpark at the water tank on Arthurs Seat Rd only about 200 metres west (towards the top of the hill) of the Main Creek Rd intersection (fairly major side road, can't miss it). There's a trail map sign...
Many thanks for this. I was a bit overwhelmed with all your info but once I got on the trails it all made sense. I had a great time, though I found it quite challenging. I avoided the two downhill trails from the junction as I was on hardtail and riding alone. But I got a proper workout on all the other trails. I only did about 17ks, was pretty stuffed at the end. Well done to all those that created the trails. I found the sign posts to be really well placed and always clear.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Glad you had fun. :smile: The two downhills from the main junction can be ridden on a hardtail, Fall Line (9, to the left when you're looking down from the junction) is more of what I call a "dark blue" rather than its black rating, but the progressive works are bringing it up to spec. The main issue with trying it on a hardtail is that the braking ruts will shake your teeth out.... Pins & Needles (8) looks a bit intimidating 'cos of the rock intro, and while more challenging is still possible to ride on a hardtail.

Look at it this way, there's something left to explore next time! :wink:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
The main issue with trying it on a hardtail is that the braking ruts will shake your teeth out....
Jesus, when I scoped out Fall Line ages back on the DH bike after walking away unimpressed with the DH track up the road, even I was getting my teeth shaken out.
At the time a good 80% of the trail was braking bumps.

I'm sure someone like Michael J. Fox wouldn't have noticed, but damn my arms did.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Although I haven't heard of any official closure from either the club or PV due to the current ugly weather, it's a sensible idea to stay off the trails until it dies down, unless you like the idea of dodging falling trees....

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Park trails are riding really well at the moment; the past week has been dry so the rain from the weeks before has had time to run off, so the grip is heroic, just a couple of slightly damp bits in the thicker reaches of Pine Climb. The roadside stuff on the clay shit ranges from good to horribly shit....

In new stuff, very early works have begun to put in a trail to bypass Vomit Climb, which at present is the only way out to the top of the park. The line is plotted, but will need Parks approval before proper works can start, so will still be a few months away. The trail will be Green rated, two-way so as well as a gentle climb will also offer an alternative descent for those not keen on Rock Salt.

Last edited: