Red Hill; Legal trails

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
What, the little surprise packet near the end? :p Nah, that's a fixture. Works will focus on the upper section which is getting pretty blown out.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What, the little surprise packet near the end? :p Nah, that's a fixture. Works will focus on the upper section which is getting pretty blown out.
Are we talking Katz? Rock salt does not seem too bad, maybe a little rooty, but who doesn't like the odd root?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Dunno where the Katz thing came from, 'cos officially it's always been Rock Salt all the way from the top. But yeah, it's the top chundery bit that's getting fixed.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dunno where the Katz thing came from, 'cos officially it's always been Rock Salt all the way from the top. But yeah, it's the top chundery bit that's getting fixed.
I'm guessing Strava. Nothing was mapped or marked when I started riding up there so I found all the trails via Strava and have always known the top section as Katz Curse.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
On a different tack, we got the report back from Parks Vic regarding our Stage 2 Proposal. Mixed, but mostly good results. Of 19 proposed trails covering about 35km, only three were totally knocked on the head. Annoyingly, one of them was the much-needed green-rated Vomit bypass/Rock Salt alternative linking the bottom of Pink Line with the top of Slippery Gypsy. On the plus side, we have been granted use of an alternative corridor to achieve the same end result. Several others need further assessment before gaining full approval, with green lights on the rest.

Now we just need to fund getting them built.....

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Planning to head down this weekend. How are the trails a day after rain?

I've got about 4-5 hours so would like to make the most of it by not getting lost haha

Whats a good order of trails to tackle the right hand side?

So far my plan is ride 1 - 2 - 4 - 5 - 7- 8 - 6 - 9 - 14 - 4 - 5 - 6/7 - 11 - 10

Thanks!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Trails will be pretty good having now had a couple of days to dry out.

The sequence you've roughed out is pretty good, except you missed 3, which is a nice little link between - logically - 2 & 4/8/9. When you exit 2 (Rock Salt) & hit the fire trail, swing right at the nearby junction rather than left & down, and about 40 metres in on the left is Slippery Gypsy (3), which gives you a good run into Wombat (4). When climbing High Roller (7), bear in mind it terminates a little short of the main upper junction, so you're faced with a short but steepish (not as bad as Vomit further up, which you'll have to tackle on your way out) climb up the fire road. Although if you look carefully there are some not-officially-there links across to Pine Climb (6) to make the final climb a bit easier (but longer).

To get across to Deadwoods/Crits (10 & 11) there are a few options. Firstly, from Wombat Junction you can either just go up the fire road, or up Gypsy, 'cos it's two-way, then you can also do reverse lower Rock Salt, because the lower section is also two-way, but be wary for others coming through the other way. Lower Rock Salt will spit you out at the bottom of Vomit hill, no alternative but to slog up it. From the top of the hill, on the right under the low-hanging tree there's a little drop-in loop that connects to the intersecting fire road that takes you across to 10/11; hook a hard right after popping out of the drop. Alternatively you can go all the way up to the top gate & take track 12 across, or the roadside track just outside the fence. All three will run into the fire road that leads down to Crits/Deadwoods. Around the left curve there is a gate, which will most likely be closed; there's a little bypass to the left up the embankment. If you don't want to climb the evil fire road a second time, head down the hill, jump the gate & it will link onto the Hillview quarry road. Follow this down to Boundary Rd, turn right, then head back up through the park to get back to the top.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Ah sweet, my main concern is Friday's rain but doesn't look like it'll be much.

Thanks for the tips and guide. I'll definitely take the route you described. Looking forward to hitting the trails!

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Was a great ride! Boy that steep loose gravel walk back up was a killer.

Fortunately it didn't rain yesterday as forecasted ... those off camber roots on Pins and Needles would've been trouble

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Was a great ride! Boy that steep loose gravel walk back up was a killer.

Fortunately it didn't rain yesterday as forecasted ... those off camber roots on Pins and Needles would've been trouble
That is fun when it's wet.....

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Just a reminder that the upper section of Rock Salt (track 2) is CLOSED for works from tomorrow until approximately May 2nd. Please stay off the trail for the duration of the closure; we're not responsible for any colourful language, rocks or heavy machinery that may be hurled in your direction by trail crews, because you shouldn't bloody be there!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
We've just been advised that works to the Quarry Track fire road will see the closure of Deadwoods & Crits (Tracks 10 & 11) for about four days from May 1st. Heavy vehicles will be engaged in the works, so please respect the closure in the interest of safety.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Whoo, it's grip city on the Hill at the moment! Pink Line (1) is a bit slick but firm 'cos it's on the clay capping, but the rest is flippin' awesome!

Remember upper Rock Salt is closed for another week or so, and Next Sunday we've got our first Hour (and a bit) of Power XCO race down there, so there will be some closures in place for the morning. If you're riding on Saturday afternoon we'll have some crews out marking bits of the course on Wombat (4), top section of Fall Line (9), East Link (5) and Pine Climb (6), so ride a little bit carefully on those bits, but we won't block anything (aside from naughty short-cut lines) off until Sunday.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Whoo, it's grip city on the Hill at the moment!
Yep, rode Sawtooth and Charlottes and they were both grip central. Charlottes is so much better after a bit of rain. Wish there was a better climb track back up though - one that you could actually ride instead of walk. Not sure they'd allow me to put my bike in the gondola :behindsofa:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
There is a return climb trail on the Stage 2 plan, but no exact timeframe yet for when it's going in. Discussions with Mr Chairlift continue, although it seems he's gradually seeing the light, getting bikes on it may still be a way off.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
There is a return climb trail on the Stage 2 plan, but no exact timeframe yet for when it's going in. Discussions with Mr Chairlift continue, although it seems he's gradually seeing the light, getting bikes on it may still be a way off.
Good to hear that things are in motion. In Queenstown NZ it took a long time before bikes were allowed on the Gondola, so the locals had quads of steel.