Red Hill; Legal trails

Flip666

Likes Dirt
Which track is Crusher? It's not on the trail maps. Eaton's cutting?

Good news about the gondola, are there any plans to put more tracks over that side other than Charlottes? I heard a rumour a while ago about a trail going in directly under the gondola, which would be a great place to put one. Also plenty of potential to put more trails in around Charlottes.
Crusher is off pins and needles

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Which track is Crusher? It's not on the trail maps. Eaton's cutting?

Good news about the gondola, are there any plans to put more tracks over that side other than Charlottes? I heard a rumour a while ago about a trail going in directly under the gondola, which would be a great place to put one. Also plenty of potential to put more trails in around Charlottes.
Yup what Flip said ... It starts about 1/3 of the way down pins 'n' needles. Nice surprise trail with some steep and tight features.

Gave Deadwoods and Crits a go for the first time yesterday.
The climb on Deadwoods caught me off guard the first time ... thought I got lost haha.
Crits is great for learning high speed control over ruts. Had a blast.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Yup what Flip said ... It starts about 1/3 of the way down pins 'n' needles. Nice surprise trail with some steep and tight features.

Gave Deadwoods and Crits a go for the first time yesterday.
The climb on Deadwoods caught me off guard the first time ... thought I got lost haha.
Crits is great for learning high speed control over ruts. Had a blast.
Crits is a damned tyre eating rock chute. Crusher isn't sanctioned but is due to be in stage 2 of the trail network at Red Hill.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yup, Crusher isn't officially there, but branches of Pins & Needles, and has an in-principle green light on the Stage 2 proposal. When it gets formal approval that will be one of the first to be added to the official trail map.

More stuff closer to the chairlift is still pending approval. There is something laid out pretty well under the chairlift (cheekily named Screaming Eagle), but that got vetoed by the old chairlift CEO; whether that gets reviewed since The Management is changing remains to be seen....

Big JD

Wheel size expert
love the trails up there- well done to all involved in lobbying for change and those that swing a trail tool.

Many thanks

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Nothing specific yet for this season, just a general heads up; now that we're starting to see some nicer weather, be on the look out for snakes - as you should on any MTB trails. We don't get a huge number of sightings but they are around; Blacks have been seen around East Link and High Roller, Browns further up the hill & around the Charlottes area and Tigers over on the southern slopes, Sawtooth and the roadside trails along Purves & Baldrys Rds.

Also keepin mind that with the Gravity Enduro event now just over a week away, quite a few of the trails will be closed to general access on the weekend of October 7th/8th, particularly on the Sunday when the Serious Business of racing is on.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I had a chance to get out with the trail crew yesterday arv to assess some of the trails after the race (Wombat, Fall Line and Pins & Needles). They held up amazingly well. The massive dumping of rain we had in the hours after the race has actually helped repair the trails! The sheer volume of water has carried a lot of loose sandy stuff striaght off the trails, and in other bits packed it up against tree roots & rocks to smooth out the approaches to them. We didn't get over to Crits, Charlottes & Sawtooth to check that side out.

On a related note, the bottom half of Sawtooth will now be permanently closed off, and a new line will be cut in, hopefully in the not-too-distant future.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Great weather Saturday arvo. Saw some kid with dreddies tearing it up Pins and Needles on a green dirt bike with a 487 sticker on it.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Stage 2 is to all intents and purposes On The Go!!!! Parks Vic have finally signed off on an additional 21-ish km of new trail. Some bits will be able to go in reasonably quickly because they've informally been on the ground for a while already, just need a little bit of tweaking, but the bulk of it will take longer, pending funding. But the good bit is we can actually make the right moves into that direction now. No exact timelines on what will be opening when, but stay tuned, because things are happening!

sundy

Likes Dirt
Stage 2 is to all intents and purposes On The Go!!!! Parks Vic have finally signed off on an additional 21-ish km of new trail. Some bits will be able to go in reasonably quickly because they've informally been on the ground for a while already, just need a little bit of tweaking, but the bulk of it will take longer, pending funding. But the good bit is we can actually make the right moves into that direction now. No exact timelines on what will be opening when, but stay tuned, because things are happening!
Good to hear. Thanks to those putting in the hard work and battling red tape.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
A little bit of an update. First up, High Roller (Track 7) will be closed for an indefinite, but short time while Parks contractors build a new boardwalky bit on the lower section where it gets mucky & shitty in the wet. There's been a boardwalk there for yonks, but it's getting pretty rickety & wobbly, so they've taken it upon themselves to chuck a new one in..... We're told the closure will be for about a week, but it might vary by a few days, hence the "indefinite" bit.

While we're still a long way from getting the whole Stage 2 on the ground, works are progressing on the bits that have been unofficially there for a while. Crusher is likely to be the first to be completed, with Sawtooth sometime after. When complete, Sawtooth will be a full descend & climb loop, the reasoning being that it had a better chance of getting approved as a single trail than as separate descending & climbing trails. Those who know where Sawtooth is will recognise that it will be a hell of a climb.....! (But gentler than the "Oh Shit!" fire road climb of last year's Gravity Enduro.)

Current conditions are, to be blunt, dusty as all fuck. Need some rain to stick it down.

Have you ever noticed that rocks seem to grow when there's no rain? Was riding down there on ANZAC Day & had a spill coming out of the bomb-hole on Rock Salt - no dirt on the back of the armouring at the top of the exit slope.....

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
High Roller is reopen with a new boardwalky thing in the lower section. With a fair bit of rain forecast later in the week it should stick the trails down nicely, but if it's really pissing down over the weekend, please don't ride.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Working bee on Fall Line this Saturday morning, please observe temporary closure & ride other trails. :)

EDIT: Fall Line is CLOSED until we get some rain to pack in the new works. There is some forecast for the middle of the week, so it should be back open by next weekend.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I only know so far what's in the video. I will add more info as I find it.

As mentioned in the clip, it is just a trial period at this stage, so should not be taken as unshakeable gospel. Things could well change if it goes well, but that will be entirely up to Eagle management..

But please, do your best to make it a successful trial so that permanent accessibility becomes a reality.

Last edited: