Red Hill; Legal trails

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Rode most of the trails out at Red Hill over the weekend. I was really impressed with the trails, setup and area. Well done to the trail crew and Club- you have an amazing asset/ foundation that will only get better in time. I imagine the Stakeholder management was rather involved.

My favourites where Pins and Needles, Fall Line, Track 2 descent and the climb back up through the Pines from the bottom of Pins and Needles. I hate climbs but this was really cool. Looking forward to 11 and 12 next time and to find Charlotte's- 13. It was great to ride some more slow/ flowing and technical stuff for a change. I love the Youies but that is fast, ballout and committed.

Your http://www.redhillriders.com.au/ website has has great info on trails, club, events and news.

There is an Gravity Enduro coming up soon!!!

Hey will the chairlift be open to riders in the future?

Well done folks- great place to ride.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
You're thinking of 10; 12 is just the link between the trailhead and the top of 10 & 11. 11 is a bit Youiesy; just hang on & blast down, 10 is tighter, & twistier.

Chairlift accessibility is still a discussion point with the operator; They're not keen on having bikes hanging off it & grubby riders getting in it, but hopefully they'll eventually realise that there will be times of the year when we, the MTB community will be the ones making it worth their while to open.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Quick little heads up, aside from the fact it's pissing rain all week, some trails will be closed this weekend while crews are doing some prep work for next week's Gravity Endooro event. No major works, just trimming back vegetation mainly, so closures will be relatively brief, just while there are people on track.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Trails aren't officially closed due to the weather, but we'd appreciate a bit of consideration for trail conditions & avoid riding them for a few days until they dry out.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I can't say too much yet, but a proposal for Stage 2 of the trail development is currently before Parks Vic for assessment and approval. All up there's about 30km of new trail proposed, but how much of that gets the go-ahead remains to be seen. Stay tuned.

rgy1993

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, wondering if anyone on here might be able to point me to the address of the Skills Park down at Red Hill? Heading down that way in a week or so, thinking I might chuck the bike in the car and hit the trails up too! I have ridden there a couple times before but only came across the pump track last time I was there.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The Skills Park is in Red Hill Station Reserve at the top of the Merricks rail trail, behind the shops at the corner of Red Hill Rd & Arthurs Seat Rd. Parking at the shops is a bit tight, but if you head south a couple of hundred metres & turn into Point Leo Rd there's a decent parking area at the top of the trail just up from the corner, then just ride along the trail to the skills park.

rgy1993

Likes Dirt
The Skills Park is in Red Hill Station Reserve at the top of the Merricks rail trail, behind the shops at the corner of Red Hill Rd & Arthurs Seat Rd. Parking at the shops is a bit tight, but if you head south a couple of hundred metres & turn into Point Leo Rd there's a decent parking area at the top of the trail just up from the corner, then just ride along the trail to the skills park.
beautiful thanks mate

Nick76

Squid
Folks,

I'll be heading down from Sydney to Melbourne on new years day for a week of XC/Enduro riding, and surfing.

Red Hill trails (& Yarra Trails) caught my eye given I'll be staying between Mt Martha (& Melb metro).

Ideally I'm interested in a 20-50km XC ride, and I've decent skills with above average fitness level.

Any offers of local knowledge, or just info on group rides during the week would be massively appreciated! PM me.

Cheers all and have a great NYE etc.

Nick

Keachy

Likes Dirt
Red hill riders FB mate will let you post and some local lads might take ya for a burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
First trip out to RH today, what a fun place to ride. Well done to the trail builders and maintainers. I can only imagine how much fun Trail 8 must be in the wet at speed. :yuck: Looking forward to making it a regular event, I'll try to sync up with one of the club rides soon.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Ducky, what are the trails like after yesterday's rain?
I haven't been on the trails since the rain, but it's probably done them a lot of good, 'cos they've been incredibly dry & dusty the last little while. The bulk of the trails are on the granite slopes, which naturally drain very well, and need a lot of prolonged rain to turn them to shit. A single good dumping after a dry spell like we had on Friday sticks the dust down nicely.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
One downpour normally isn't an issue, drainage is pretty good in most parts.
I haven't been on the trails since the rain, but it's probably done them a lot of good, 'cos they've been incredibly dry & dusty the last little while. The bulk of the trails are on the granite slopes, which naturally drain very well, and need a lot of prolonged rain to turn them to shit. A single good dumping after a dry spell like we had on Friday sticks the dust down nicely.
Thanks gents. We piked and went to Buxton after looking at the weather radar. Hope to get there soon.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Although not officially closed after yesterday & last night's dumping (63mm apparently!), the trails would appreciate being left alone for a couple of days to dry out.

And we've apparently got some news regarding the Stage 2 proposal, so hopefully there'll be an update in the works soon. :smile:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
A heads-up that Trail 2 - Rock Salt will be closed for maintenance works from around April 18th to around May 2nd - exact dates TBC depending on weather & getting necessary stuff, but that's the anticipated time frame. Please respect the closure and be patient. Being a chunt and disregarding the closure will mean it stays closed for longer!

Closure will affect the upper, one way part of the trail; the lower bit remains open and can be entered from the drop-in link at the bottom of Vomit hill.

Last edited:

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A heads-up that Trail 2 - Rock Salt will be closed for maintenance works from April 18th. We're not exactly sure how long the closure will be in place, but hopefully not too long. Please respect the closure and be patient. Being a chunt and disregarding the closure will mean it stays closed for longer!
Hopefully the work involves removing that chunty little climb.