Red light cameras

fattyandthepiemakers

I ride an STP
It wasn't directed at you really... more at the whole group. 18 Y/O drivers in their Commodores smashing intersections at 80km/h to beat the red. When I think teenage drivers I think, speed, noise and recklessness. Not much regard for other road users until they smash some dude taking off from that lights.

Not that you are one of them... ;)

arpit

Banned
so yesum, don't go painting others with the dangerous driver brush unless you're perfect yourself. you're not (as you acknowledged), so shut up ;)
Still, we all have room to improve. When I buy new clothes, say, and am trying out a new look, I might go to a friend, and ask him what he thinks. He isn't a fashion god by any means, yet if he tells me that I look retarded, I take that onboard. It's helpful advice.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, If I ask, will give me positive feedback no matter how I look. She isn't perfect either, and refrains from criticism.

Ultimately, of the two people, my girlfriend makes me feel better, but my friend actually helps me.

As long as we aren't so thin skinned that being called names makes us sad, we can improve from criticism.

That said, I totally acknowlege that the criticism has to be based on fact to be useful. I also acknowledge that broad generalisations aren't useful either. For example, if my friend rang me and said " Hey Dave, you're a retard", that would not be helpful in the least.
The fact the criticism is based on must also be relevant to the substance of the criticism. For example, if someone, on seeing my bike :

were to immediately tell me that I am a Squid, their comment would be meaningless.

And hey, Peugot makes some nice cars! Very trendy over here... As for getting your dad you let you drive the lib... just make puppy dog eyes.'but daddyyyyy '

Attachments

Last edited:

toodles

Wheel size expert
I hate when I'm reaching down for another beer and look up to see the light yellow. I can never tell how long it's already been yellow for and then I've got to decide whether or not to gun it, whether there's any fuzz around, if there's a camera at the intersection, if there's any oncoming traffic or pedestrians likely to get hit, who I've got in the car at the time, etc...

By the time I've calculated all those things, I've gone through the intersection (and about 5 more) and I need another beer again. So the cycle continues.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hate when I'm reaching down for another beer and look up to see the light yellow. I can never tell how long it's already been yellow for and then I've got to decide whether or not to gun it, whether there's any fuzz around, if there's a camera at the intersection, if there's any oncoming traffic or pedestrians likely to get hit, who I've got in the car at the time, etc...

By the time I've calculated all those things, I've gone through the intersection (and about 5 more) and I need another beer again. So the cycle continues.

Hahahahaha.....so funny, yet sadly so true Toodles ;-)

rell6103

Likes Dirt
Yes. I can honestly say I've NEVER run a red light.

I have gotten speeding tickets before, though. But running a red light? No.

*EDIT* Ok, I did. But my wife's waters had broke and I needed to get to the hospital ASAP.
Okay, absolute bullcrap to anyone that says they have never run a red light.

Traffic lights a quite easy to miss. Especially if you have something that is distracting you, such as a girl friend, a big truck up your ass (or on your side), music or whatever. The reason you think you haven't gone through one, is because you completely didn't see it in which case, still think you have never run a red light.

And for the people who still claim they have never run a red light. What about on your bike. I would nearly bet my life that every person who rides a bike has run a red light.

Foggy

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,
If the camera goes off does it mean you definately are going to get fined because i thought i was over the white line.
This is what I would like to know. I got flashed last night as well for the first time ever. I too was certain I was already over the white line before the light turned red. The light turned red as I was in the middle of the intersection. So does the camera have to actually take a picture of you crossing the white line? - Mike.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
This is what I would like to know. I got flashed last night as well for the first time ever. I too was certain I was already over the white line before the light turned red. The light turned red as I was in the middle of the intersection. So does the camera have to actually take a picture of you crossing the white line? - Mike.
NSW: If you cross the white line while the light is red, you have broken the law. The camera system in NSW is so bad they they dont work/no film (oldschool style cameras) or just arent switched on, you have about a 1/4 chance of being booked.

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Which white line are we talking about? I've never found the answer to this one..

My dad's a driving instructor, and he says you have to be completely out of the intersection, ie, over the white line on the other side before the light changes to red to have not run a red light.

It sounds like on here everyones saying you just have to clear the first line where the traffic lights start before the light changes red to be ok. Which is it?

Its also not fair for example in heavy traffic. You might go over the first line when the light is green, but because of slow moving traffic through the intersection, there is no guarantee you will make it out before the light changes red.

Of cause that wouldn't be an issue if you don't have to clear the otherside of the intersection, but I'm not sure?

Ivan

Eats Squid
Which white line are we talking about? I've never found the answer to this one..

My dad's a driving instructor, and he says you have to be completely out of the intersection, ie, over the white line on the other side before the light changes to red to have not run a red light.
No, this is incorrect. see below

It sounds like on here everyones saying you just have to clear the first line where the traffic lights start before the light changes red to be ok. Which is it?
This is only partly correct. If you have sufficient time to safely stop your vehicle behind the white line on sighting the amber light you are legally required to stop. If you continue, and decide to try and beat the red light, even though you had sufficient distance/time to stop, then you have broken the law.
Its also not fair for example in heavy traffic. You might go over the first line when the light is green, but because of slow moving traffic through the intersection, there is no guarantee you will make it out before the light changes red.
If your in heavy traffic that is banked up across an intersection, you shouldn't be crossing the white line on your side untill there is sufficient space on the other side of the intersection to accommodate your car.

And in queensland, if you have an emergent reason to drive through a red light, then is an acceptable defence/exculpation in queensland courts.

And whilst we're on the subject, people should bear in mind how touchy motorcyclists get about this subject. Many riders have been killed by people running reds.

Last edited:

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is only partly correct. If you have sufficient time to safely stop your vehicle behind the white line on sighting the amber light you are legally required to stop. If you continue, and decide to try and beat the red light, even though you had sufficient distance/time to stop, then you have broken the law.

If your in heavy traffic that is banked up across an intersection, you shouldn't be crossing the white line on your side untill there is sufficient space on the other side of the intersection to accommodate your car.
Yes, I understand that part of it, but I mean in terms of getting caught on a red light camera. How does this work (just so I know).

Does it take a photo of the entire intersection the second the light changes to red from amber, and any vehicle within these perimeters is caught, and has 'run a red light'?

Or is it only catching people who actually enter and hence and go through the intersection AFTER the light has changed to red?

EastsideZero

Likes Dirt

Of cause that wouldn't be an issue if you don't have to clear the otherside of the intersection, but I'm not sure?

You shouldn't be proceeding across an intersection unless there is a place for you on the other side,you should wait behind the white line until there is room for your car to be clear of the intersection and over the white line on the other side. If you the lights change to red before you get a chance to cross thats bad luck you just have to wait.

I think the camera is only triggered if you cross the line on the approaching side 0.02 of a second after the light has changed.So if you are already over the line before it changes it won't go off.

Yes,I too have accidently gone through a red (Circular Quay, Syd. 11pm on a sat. night.) Its easy to do if you are in unfamiliar territory. I just did not see it. Luckily i was crawling along at 30k's and there was no traffic comin' across.

The only rules i really pay attention to are Stop,Give Way and traffic lights. Everything else is pretty flexible.:D Except parking,but people parking where they shouldn't deserves its own thread,and reinstatement of the death penalty.

Speeding? Yeah i speed, but never when I'm running late, and never in inapropriate places (school zones ,peak hour,wet etc.) If i'm speeding i'm paying full attention to what im doing not talking or messing with the radio.
Before you get on your high horses ,
Speeding is like wanking, there are those that do and then there are the liars.

Don't Drink Drive.... it's a washing powder!

Ivan

Eats Squid
Or is it only catching people who actually enter and hence and go through the intersection AFTER the light has changed to red?
yep. thats about it it.

The only way to get caught running an amber light is if you do it in front of a cop. And even then, if your smart and say the right thing s you'll get away with it.;)

S.

ex offender
I always thought that technically speaking, the law is simply that you may not enter an intersection once the light is red, otherwise it's fair game. Yellow light timing is set up to account for typical driver reaction times, plus enough time for a leisurely stop from the speed limit if you weren't close enough to make it through.

In any case, go back to the intersection where it happened, and have a good think about the timing of the lights and how you can destroy/incapacitate the camera. The less of those fuckin things around, the better (mainly for speed purposes rather than as a red light camera). BTW, whatever you do you will need more than a metal object being swung by hand, the glass in them is extremely strong. Yes I am openly condoning a criminal act.

udi

swiss cheese
He just wants what's best for his kid...
As a couple have said now, it's just a matter of getting over the white line on your side while the light is still amber. Having done a little research on the topic, there is even a very slight delay AFTER the light turns red before you can get caught - a couple of milliseconds (probably 0.02s as mentioned above). So basically, as long as you have entered the intersection while the light is still yellow, you're in the green... just remember: heavy braking after you've made it through at 100kmh. :)

Of course, that's for QLD only. Guys like steve down in vic are blessed with dual action redlight/speed cameras with inbuilt spikestrips and deathrays.

wtr

Likes Dirt
have a good think about the timing of the lights and how you can destroy/incapacitate the camera. The less of those fuckin things around, the better (mainly for speed purposes rather than as a red light camera). BTW, whatever you do you will need more than a metal object being swung by hand, the glass in them is extremely strong. Yes I am openly condoning a criminal act.
Hahaha, quit being bad, you just can't.:p

Ivan

Eats Squid
I always thought that technically speaking, the law is simply that you may not enter an intersection once the light is red, otherwise it's fair game. Yellow light timing is set up to account for typical driver reaction times, plus enough time for a leisurely stop from the speed limit if you weren't close enough to make it through.

In any case, go back to the intersection where it happened, and have a good think about the timing of the lights and how you can destroy/incapacitate the camera. The less of those fuckin things around, the better (mainly for speed purposes rather than as a red light camera). BTW, whatever you do you will need more than a metal object being swung by hand, the glass in them is extremely strong. Yes I am openly condoning a criminal act.
Unfortunately for those of us in queensland S. the law changed regarding amber lights around 5(?) years ago. However, it is a ridiculously easy charge to get off in court, and therefore isn't really enforced by the police service....unless of course there looking for an excuse to pull you over.

arpit

Banned
I've almost gotten mowed down (when I was on my bike) by someone blowing through a red light.

Speeding, I can understand, since you can't watch the speedometer and the road at the same time, and unless you're on cruise control, things might slip. Accidents happen.

I have NO sympathy, though, for people who run red lights. THAT is a deliberate move. I hope you get booked big time. And you don't drive around my neighbourhood.:mad:

*EDIT* You say you "accidentally" drove through a red light. Explain how that can be an accident. Traffic lights are the EASIEST things to see on the road, you get a warning of a two second yellow to slow down... "Accident"? Common!:rolleyes:

Techno's post is very easy to poke fun at, but I think we all know what he means.
To explain - he is saying that the term 'accident' trivialises the significance and potential consequences of the action. You say that spilling some milk is an accident. Risking someone's life requires a somewhat stronger expression.

The term 'accident' is all too often used to shift blame from ones elf.
Techno is saying that instead of giving a blonde grin and calling it an accident, we should realise that our behavior was negligent. The risk is seldom acceptable to take, and the action is entirely preventable.

Ivan

Eats Squid
No, this is incorrect. see below

As above. It's now rarely enforced, although when the law was first introduced they (police) gave it a good go.

As for some questions in this thread, they are answered here pretty concisely.
http://www.police.qld.gov.au/Resour.../roadSafety/documents/redLightCamOffences.pdf

Last edited: