Reign or Genius

I had been keen to get a New Reign, my LBS told me there would be a 6-8 week wait sooo I had a look on the exchange and found a large that was only 4hrs from Tamworth, only problem it has some damage on the top tube, only small but whenever I am riding every time I look down I am going to see it, and it will bug me, then I got to thinking about making the move to 650B, my budget is bang on $3k and have 98% decided on the Scott Genius 740 which I can get in the budget, can someone ease my mind and tell me I am making the right move........ Please

ADD

Likes Dirt
What sort of riding are you doing? If it were me I'd go with the Scott. I've heard some good things about them although I know less about those than I do the Reign's. I own a 2010 reign and I prefer it over the newer models.

Ride mostly XC and I have a 2011 XTC for that but there are a couple off tracks that have some nice drops and i am sick of taking the sissy line, there was also a story on the news a month or so ago about a DH track baing built in Manilla NSW where i live and was keen to give it a bit of a go but did not want a full blown DH bike, I Just wanted to be able to have a go.

ADD

Likes Dirt
If you ride a lot of XC the Scott would be the smart choice. I believe it pedals and rolls better.

MountainBikeMike

Likes Dirt
Ok I am biased because I work for the importer and build them all day long and take care of the demo fleet, but my 2012 (old style and 26") Genius 40 has been ridiculously amazing. I flogged the shit out of it for the last 15 months and it never skips a beat. It climbs really well especailly since you have the half travel option. Theres only a few bikes out there like the Cannondale Jekyll fot example that has these options. Not only does the half travel stiffen up the bike, but it also puts you higher in the saddle (less sag) which is great for uphill position and traction.

I've ben tackling big doubles and every one of my downhill tracks I usually do, and have just won my first two all mountain races (Elevation series) in Expert (last win by 13 secs). I've also done big 50-90k epic rides such as falls creek to mt beauty ascending 5 peaks, and wasnt worn out at all. I've been trying to get a 720 myself but they are sold out worldwide :(

Let me know how you find it if you get one, they rock. Just pleaseeee get a seat dropper.

Mike

cant comment on the reign but i have a Genius LT30 and find it amazing.
going to test the 720 at a demo day on the weekend so will be interesting to see the difference but think you would be happy with it from all ive red / heard.

ps +1 for seat dropper would never go back to not having one

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
After reading this thread looked into the Genius. Hadn't heard much on them before unlike the popular Regien. Think I will be considering the Scott when I upgrade, they look like very nice bikes.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
My other half has a carbon 2011 Genius 30 and it is a very nice bike.

It rides very well, and has had zero issues whatsoever.

MB

Intense Australia
+1 to the Scott. More so for the 650b factor than anything. If you are even only slightly considering it, hesitate no more. I took the plunge on 650b and I'm very glad I did.

ozimad

Likes Dirt
I had a Genius LT10 and got a full refund from my LBS due to mulltiple failure.. I would never go near a Scott ever again because the imported did not wanna know about it... Hello İ paid $7g for this..

Go the Giant in my opinion

MB

Intense Australia
I had a Genius LT10 and got a full refund from my LBS due to mulltiple failure.. I would never go near a Scott ever again because the imported did not wanna know about it... Hello İ paid $7g for this..

Go the Giant in my opinion
Yeah fair point, it's such a shame that those bikes chose to run a specific shock that has zero choice for aftermarket retrofits. I also had a buddy that had an early genius and it had multiple failures too - he still loved the bike though, just because of all the cool gadgets it had on it. This guy has seen the light now and owns a pivot, and now wonders why he ever loved that genius with all of the failures it had...

At least the new bikes look to have a more conventional shock design and have steered away from that rubbish pull shock, I'd go the new one for the 650b factor alone, it's rad!

jumpers

Likes Dirt
I have 2012 reign - i come from dh background. I set up mine with max sag - it handles dh fairly well, find it pedals xc pretty slowly (which due my dislike xc and fact i set it up with heaps sag).

I wouldnt get a reign if it was mostly xc ( trance or anthem), if all mtn or dh i get reign.

Cant comment about scott except i have mate with one, he rides everything mostly xc, has had fraime breakage (chainstay) but did get replaced

ChopSticks

Banned
Go the Reign

(yes I've owned 2) and YES its a 'Giant'.... But fuck those people who think Giants are crap bikes that are all too common

ive been riding OMV last few weeks and can say I've seen more yetis/pivots and ellsworths Around than I have seen reigns and trances!!

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Go the Reign

(yes I've owned 2) and YES its a 'Giant'.... But fuck those people who think Giants are crap bikes that are all too common

ive been riding OMV last few weeks and can say I've seen more yetis/pivots and ellsworths Around than I have seen reigns and trances!!
there's a truth to that... i dont actually remember the last time i saw a giant there other than my mate who has one. more intense, pivot, spesh, yeti, cannondale's even some guys on Ti SS bikes

Brighann

Cannon Fodder
Brighann

I too have a Genius LT 30. I upgraded an old VT Giant a few years back. Love it great bike, it does everything it’s meant to and more!!! It is a bike that will take punishment time and time again.
BUT... (There’s always a but, and this one they never tell you behind the counter at the bike store). Scott is not very well represented in Australia as far as parts and service go. Have to say Giant shit on Scott here hands down. I currently have the Equalizer 3 shock in for a service and was gob smacked to find out the shock had to go to Melbourne and it was going to take up to 6 weeks, at a minimum cost of $250 for the most basic service!!
Really Scott need to sort their shit out here! They make awesome bikes, you just don't want shit to go wrong with them.

floody

Wheel size expert
The Scott will hose the Giant for ride quality, but the Giant will have a better spec.

Wow, must be all the Genius LT owners in Australia posting on this thread...lol

Picked up the Genius Last, night first impression is very good, had the KS LEV fitted and shimano saint pedals by the guys at Gordon Turner in Gunnedah and they have done a top job and got it for a nick. Will hopefully get a ride this afternoon providing the rain holds out for the rest of the day, other wise tomorrow it will get a good run. Will upload some Pictures for all of you later on today.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
good choice!

also nice to see your from Manilla! used to live in Barraba years ago... didnt know of any trails around back then. Manila is in a great valley and already has a reputation worlwide as a paragliding destination so maybe a downhill track or two would be good.

let me know if you ever hear if this is going ahead.

Thanks to all for you input on this thread been a big help.

They had on the news that there was DH track being built on Mt Borah (same place they para glide from) but have not ventured there yet to have a look. Will keep you Posted. are there any other members from Manilla-Tamworth area on the forum?