removalists

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
So what's the deal with removalists these days? I haven't used one in 10 years.

The mob i used 10 years ago is operating fine. Cost me ~700 bucks back then. Contacted them again, price is around 1400. Now I don't mind paying a fair price for fair work and I expected that it was going to be a bit more expensive than last time, but I reached out to a couple others and am getting prices back of around ~800. Price quoted is for a 4hr job.

Anyone one used a removalist recently for a local move? What did you pay?

insurances are included in the above prices, all removalists contacted have heap sof good reviews from what appear to be non-bot accounts. So the cost spread seems to wide too ignore.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
We did a move in April, small truck with two guys just to do the furniture and whitegoods and other heavy stuff, we did boxes etc in the car. Was $153/hr, ~$400 for 2.5hr. So $800-1000 for your 4hr job sounds about right, $1400 may be pushing it. Main thing to consider is they charge from and to the depot - I recall you live out west, so don't get Man With a Van or someone else with a depot in Abbotsford where you have to pay them an extra 2hr to drive halfway across town and back again (unless you're moving across town in which case sorry, hah).

Shredden

Knows his goats
I just move all my stuff myself. Usually takes an entire weekend, plus fuel and paying for trailer rental, and I usually break or seriously damage at least a few of my possessions, and hurt my back. Also last time I didn't hook the trailer up properly because I was stressed and hungover and it came off on Sydney Road and smashed into the back of my car.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
I just move all my stuff myself. Usually takes an entire weekend, plus fuel and paying for trailer rental, and I usually break or seriously damage at least a few of my possessions, and hurt my back. Also last time I didn't hook the trailer up properly because I was stressed and hungover and it came off on Sydney Road and smashed into the back of my car.
It’s amazing watching u grow up in the world Theo.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
learned any lessons?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
@Squidfayce
There's your new plan.
End thread.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I used a removalist to take the big furniture items from Canberra to Hobart, and car/trailered the rest. It cost me well over $2K to send a couple of couches, a few sideboards and drawers and half a dozen big boxes, but this is because Bass Straight is stupid expensive so not representative of moves on the mainland...

And yeah, a few minor damages along the way....

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
We did a move in April, small truck with two guys just to do the furniture and whitegoods and other heavy stuff, we did boxes etc in the car. Was $153/hr, ~$400 for 2.5hr. So $800-1000 for your 4hr job sounds about right, $1400 may be pushing it. Main thing to consider is they charge from and to the depot - I recall you live out west, so don't get Man With a Van or someone else with a depot in Abbotsford where you have to pay them an extra 2hr to drive halfway across town and back again (unless you're moving across town in which case sorry, hah).
yeah i think the travel cost is what the killer is. the original mob i used 10 years ago were local to my old place. Not the new old house and the new new house.

Thanks all. Think ill go with the locals charging normally. Will give @Shredden a miss

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Not everyone has goats.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The removals business isn’t what it was pre covid.

I used the same large corporate skewed removalist for all my cinema work for 20 years. Some years we spent over a million with them. Their charge out rate was 145 ex gst per hour for two men and a truck in metro melb.

Post covid, their casualised workforce has been decimated by a workforce seeking a better work life balance and had pissed off, and they found the vast majority wouldn’t come back, or had taken a better role that wasn’t casual.

Their business manager called me back in February this year, of course not aware I’d left the business, to inform me they had to withdraw their services, as they couldn’t staff the business well enough to look after their 5 biggest clients. Telstra’s retail arm was one such client being dropped.

Last edited: