Removing + installing a new Headset. ( PIG FSA PRO DH heaset)

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
Hey farkiners. This may have been posted up before, however i couldnt find it.
I am upgradeing from a pig fsa dh head set ( roller ball bearings)
To a PIG FSA PRO DH Headset ( sealed bearings).
How ever i am not sure how to get the existing headset of so i may press the new headset on.
If this job is to complicated or the tools are too expensive to buy, how much do you reakon it would cost in store to get a headset replaced?

All information would be more than helpful.
Thank You
Kind Regards Matt
:)

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey farkiners. This may have been posted up before, however i couldnt find it.
I am upgradeing from a pig fsa dh head set ( roller ball bearings)
To a PIG FSA PRO DH Headset ( sealed bearings).
How ever i am not sure how to get the existing headset of so i may press the new headset on.
If this job is to complicated or the tools are too expensive to buy, how much do you reakon it would cost in store to get a headset replaced?

All information would be more than helpful.
Thank You
Kind Regards Matt
It wont cost much to get a bike shop to do it for you however you can do it yourself with some careful use of wooden blocks. If you're uncertain just take it to your LBS, theyll probably do it on the spot for you.

John U

MTB Precision
the job needs specailist tools to be done properly. if you mess it up you can ruin your frame. take it to a bike shop. not sure what the cost is though. in a good bike shop for a standard headset with out complications i think it takes about 15 minutes. maybe take off a few bit if you think it will save the shop time.

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the information fellas.
I think i might have a go of it myself first, Providing im not going to be stupid when trying to remove it.
Is there any useful step that you could supply to make the job easier.
Also regarding the steerer tube threaded insert, it comes with a brande new one, do you believe that it will be necessary to replace it, or should i leave it in there, should it still reach ( providing its the same make of headset) i would think so but im not entirely sure.

Thanks again
Kind Regards Matthew

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dont worry about changing the "star nut" but please don't bash out the
bottom cup with a screwdriver (they are pressed in nice and tight) Seen
this done before and the results are shocking. Unless you've got the right
gear i'd take it down the LBS and get them to do it. Will take a few mins
and will save you f#*kin around with vices, hammers and blocks of wood;)

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
Hey Mate.
Thanks for that info, Regarding the Star Nut.
I think its best to head down to the local bike shop ( bonus for knowing the bloke who runs the joint) So that shouldnt be a problem.
Any way, thanks again fellas.
Kind Regards Matt

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get the shop to do the bearings, put the forks and stuff on yourself. You will need to put the bike upsidedown in a bike stand to do it though.

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
go to a shop that has a high turn around, you are guaranteed fastest service time, and since most work by hour blocks you should be sweet
, i paid $30 to get a new one installed.
same job somewhere else would be atleast twice that.

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
Hey all. This problem is solved. I ended up going to my LBS and the bloke (who i know) did the whole job for me for $5 :D
So im Stoked.

Any way thanks for all the help on this thread.
Kind Regards Matthew