removing self removing crank bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotec

Banned
yea the name says it all, how do i remove the self removing crank bolts from my xtr cranks so i can put them back on without damaging them anymore than they already are?

Rik

logged out
The SE ring should have 2 small holes opposite each other. I usually get a spoke, cut it about 10cm long, fold it in half, then bend the ends with a pair of pliers to make a bodgy tool to fit them. They might be able to unscrew if you use a really small screwdriver in one hole to rotate it... Otherwise, you could get a pin spanner, since they're made for the job ;)
Once this ring is off, then the bolts come out. As I said in the other thread, you should always remove the SE ring before installing Octalink cranks.

lotec

Banned
too bad i dont have one in my toolbox, hm ill just grab a spoke off my sisters huffy then, she wont miss it :D

Rik

logged out
Squidly Didly said:
stripadeedooda!
hahah, not quite, hopefully he just needs to take off the SE ring first, seems he expects the crank bolts to undo and come out even though there is quite obviously a seperate piece in the way.

lotec

Banned
the cranks arent on the bike squid you know, you undo them and they push against the bb thread and it pushed the crank off, eliminates the need for a crank puller? theyre not stripped what rik says seams to be what ill have to do....

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think you should be stripped of the right to use allen keys, wrenches, spanners, socket wrenches, tyre levers, tyre pumps, hammers, files, spoke keys, peddle wrenches, cone spanners, chain wips, bb tools, cassette tools, multi tools, and anyother bike related tool you can think of.

naz

Criminally Inane
fuk rather than make yourself look any stupider dave take ur bike to ur LBS and let someone fix ur bike rather than fucking it up more

G

lotecsiriusconcept said:
Rik said:
he expects the crank bolts to undo and come out even though there is quite obviously a seperate piece in the way.
wtf no i dont......
ok seriously man, whats your farkin deal? you post asking for help and then you get all uppety and start getting wound up? whats going on? you expect help but you can treat the helping parties like that? ffs dude grow up :roll:

lotec

Banned
problem solved..... i got the bolts out using a screwdriver to undo the little ring holding the bolt in like rik said to do.... am i allowed to use a headset press still shmitty, pleeaaaaaassssssssseeeeeee....?

Rik

logged out
lotecsiriusconcept said:
am i allowed to use a headset press still shmitty, pleeaaaaaassssssssseeeeeee....?
Only if you can insert it through both ears and tighten.

Anyway, this thread has served its purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.