Removing spinning footbolt - Manitou

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm in the process of pulling apart my Circus forks, which I've done a few times before.

This time, I can't remove the footbolt on the spring side from the lowers. It's just twisting with the spring rod.

I don't really have anything long enough to reach into the staunchion to hold the top of the spring seat, and don't have an air ratchet.

What can i do?! It's not essential for me to remove the lowers this time, but I will need to down the track to change lube oil and seals.etc.

Is there some magical fix? I remember older Marzocchi's used to suffer from the same problem. How did guys do it back then??

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Never pulled apart those forks... but have you tried compressing the fork as you undo the bolt?

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeh I've tried compressing the fork while quickly turning the wrench.
I've put the spring back in, but that didn't help.

I also tightened it again, hoping this might free it, then loosened and still not coming out.

Now it won't even tighten down fully, i can hear the spring seat twisting with the bolt

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got it sorted. The top of the spring rod has a keyway for a 5mm allen key.
So for anyone who can't remove the lowers, you'll need a long (30cm or more) 5mm allen key as well as the 12mm socket at the bottom.