Removing star-nuts

CHEWY

Eats Squid
I just got my DJ3's back from warrenty, got new 04 uppers :D, the shop didnt put the star-nut back into the steerer of my DJ3's so now I have to get the one out of my Z.1's to ride.
Its pretty well wedged in there... how the hell do you get them out?

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you wanna reuse a starnut from a different fork? i would just get a new one.

I usually destroy a starnut to get it out...

notb4dinner

Likes Dirt
Unless your pretty desperate I would't bother trying to re-use the old one - removing the things usually results in their destruction. The most successful method I've found for removl is to find a nice long bolt or other appropriatly sized shaft and bash the nut out the bottom of the steerer.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Ahh crap, I really wanted to go for a ride .. Oh well, I'll just pop down to the shop to get one tomorrow.
Thanks anyway

Rik

logged out
If your forks steerer have a constant ID you can bash it all the way through, but I'd guess most are butted towards the bottom, or have something or other preventing the nut from coming out the bottom.
That said, you can always try and pull/bash it back up :lol:

CHEWY

Eats Squid
And if anyone cares, 03 DJ3's warrentied with 04 uppers with a uncut steerer weigh in at 3kg on my dodgy bathroom scales.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Haha! too right Rik, weight is almost on par with a set of JrT's :shock:
The 80mm length of steerer I just cut off weighs over 100 grams!
Just took it for a little spin then, and damn the higher stack hight of these forks choppers out my trailstar, rides like a completly different bike!

Has anyone else with 04 DJ forks noticed they top-out badly? My mate complained of this happening after he got his DJ2's back from warrenty. I havnt ridden his bike yet so I didnt know how bad it is, but now I know...
. He slowed the rebound down as much as possible on his forks and he said it didnt change a thing.
They extend with a loud clunk, which can be felt through the bars easily, and apart from sounding unhealthy and annoying, its down right distracting... guess Ill just have to get used to it.

Jak3

Likes Bikes
you might wanna just check the oil height, they mite not have put enough in there, and its surely not going to good for the forks.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Could be that I spose, and marz in known for not putting in enough oil.. But I cant really be F'd at the minute..

Tankass

Likes Dirt
quit using a star nut.get a headlock instead.easier to transfer and u can reuse it over and over again.
should be about 24 bucks for the azonic headlock

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Nah I didnt actually get it out, I just rigged up a little something to lever down on the stem and make it tight enough to go for a little spin... Thanks for the thread tho Jay.
I'm just gonna go down to the LBS early tomorrow to get a new one put in before I head out to the You Yangs.. hopefully they will do it on the spot.

Ill look into headlocks thanks Tankass, Im sure I could improvise my own with a bit of threaded rod and some washers :wink: Mmm, dodgy.

bazza

look at me
Tankass said:
quit using a star nut.get a headlock instead.easier to transfer and u can reuse it over and over again.
should be about 24 bucks for the azonic headlock
listen to him. i got a headlock for 20 bucks a while ago and its soo much better and easier to use that a bloody star nut. and think about which one is going to be stronger......a piece of metal jammed in the steerer tube or what is basically a bolt from the bottom of your steerer tube to the top holding it in place. i would take the bolt over the shitty piece of metal. anyway i hope you see my point.

zac

Likes Dirt
with the topping out, a mate of mine had this happen on his '03 DJ1s. apparently there is a problem with a small washer in some forks (mine are fine), but i can't remember if it is missing or what. it should be a warranty issue so i'd take it back to the shop and ask them.