Repair RP3 or replace with Van R?

RealizE

Likes Bikes
Greetings!

So, the dust seal on my '06 RP3 popped out and in an attempt to tap it back in, I took a chip out of the shock shaft and now all the air leaks out.

To get the RP3 shaft replaced, I'm looking at around $150.00-$200.00 dollars. For $350.00 I can get a brand new '09 Fox VAN R coil shock to replace the RP3.

In terms of performance, is there much difference between these shocks? From what I can tell, they both have rebound adjustment and they both have propedal. The only difference I can see is the RP3 has three firmness settings (I never change it from medium) and it weighs 130grams less.

In terms of feel, what can I expect by changing to the coil? Given an air shock increases the spring rate as it compresses, am I more likely to bottom out on the coil?

If riding style makes a difference, I'm riding an '06 Dawg Primo and doing some pretty aggressive AM stuff and light freeride with my biggest drops being around 5.5 foot - I frequently bottom out the RP3.

Any thoughts/opinions would be great.

Thanks,
Scott.

PS: I did find helpful threads like this http://www.farkin.net/forums/showthread.php?t=143482&highlight=Air+Coil but I'm after some advice on the specific shocks listed. Ie mid range air vs cheap coil.

Last edited:

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
personally absolutely loved the rp3 on my brodie with 7". But i used the propedal quiet abit when it come to pedaling back hill and depending on what style of track i was riding. If your not using this feature it may be worth changing: a coil has a completely different feel to the air.

i tend to notice the coil working whereas the air shock i was never sure if it was working cause it was unnoticeable. The coil also gives me the impression i have more travel than with the air. And im sure that the coil could be tuned to resist bottom out, maybe not as much as the RP3 with the collar and air pressure setting (mine stayed on 3 for the collar) and bottomed out rarely with 170psi and 80kgs of dressed rider with drops around your height and longer jumps. Well never felt like it did anyways and the lil ring never came off that much :p

if i had chance to run another rp3 for a bike i was riding up and down i would without hesitation.

BT180

Max Pfaff
From what I can tell, they both have rebound adjustment and they both have propedal. The only difference I can see is the RP3 has three firmness settings (I never change it from medium) and it weighs 130grams less.
The '09 Van R does not have propedal. The only adjustments it has are spring preload and rebound.

RealizE

Likes Bikes
The '09 Van R does not have propedal.
Bugger me. According to the Fox site, the 2008 ones don't appear to have propedal either, even though there is a big "PP Propedal" sticker on the shock itself.

Anyone know what the story is here? Did they actualy have PP on the 2008 or was it all lies?

BT180

Max Pfaff
I didn't think any of them did. I'm pretty sure the Van R is just a bare bones coil shock. If you want all the bells and whistles you need a DHX.

That was my impression anyway, but someone will correct me if i'm wrong...

DW-1

Dirt Works
the VAN R had ProPedal in 2008. And If i could find my 2009 catalogue... I'm 99% sure that it was unchanged in 2009.

I can't see why they'd change it.

Elvis.

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My 04 Van R had PP, so I don't really see why they would take it away on later model shocks, i mean they gave them a piggy back resivour and all, surely they would simply leave the pro pedal alone?!

BT180

Max Pfaff
I was just going off the Fox site where in '08 it doesn't list ProPedal for the Van R but it does for the DHX and Float.

It does list the Van R as having propedal in '06, but not in '07 or '08.

RealizE

Likes Bikes
ProPedal or not, I think that for the relatively small outlay I might go with a VAN R just to see how I like the coil. The 300gram weight penalty isn't very inviting, but a smoother ride through rough rock garden stuff is.

Last edited: