Replacement 184x44mm shock

goobags

Likes Dirt
So I have a Lapierre XM527 with the fancy e:i system on it which works well while it works but recently it has been playing up again. Now being frustrated with it, I just want it gone.

The current shock is a Monarch RT3 but looking at either a CC DBAir in-line or Fox DPS or DPX2 to replace it. I ordered a 140mm Fox 34 Factory after a few beers on Christmas Eve so the Fox would work aesthetically and I prefer Fox over Rockshox but the adjustability of the CC looks good, along with the price, but not sure replacing an un reliable shock system with another potentially unreliable shock has me concerned.

The real question I need answered though is apart from physical dimensions, how do I tell if a shock will suit a certain suspension geometry? Due to the not so common nature of the frame I can’t just google it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Essentially - you need to know if the frame kinematics has a degree of pedal-induced feedback or not. If the frame kinematics means under pedaling load it causes the suspension to move excessively, you need a shock with more platform damping.

One can only assume that the presence of the e:i system means the kinematics are more heavily pedaling influenced, ergo the CC could be a better choice as you can more comprehensively tune the low speed compression.

But that's just my lone opinion on NYE.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm with hifi

The ei basically locks and unlocks the shocks quickly, in open mode its suspension design is heavily influenced by pedalling
Your monarch probably has label on the collar such as M M which relate to the tune. This is the usual starting point, but not sure how meaningful it would be on a bike designed for ei
If you go the cc, you get more adjustment compared to a fox, but if you want set and forget talk to someone like cyclinic or nsd about tuning options for your existing or a new shock

goobags

Likes Dirt
Looks like cane creek may be the winner here. Was leaning towards it anyway, thanks for the info though

moorey

call me Mia
“So I have a Lapierre XM527 with the fancy e:isystem”

Cryptic cat is cryptic.
It’s not a unique shock size, but still limiting. Focus spine run it too, and my mate struggled with a suitable replacement.
A 190mm with offsets will give you 186mm length, but a noticeably longer stroke, which may cause and issue under full compression.
Where are you based? I have a 190x51 CCDBA spare, with offsets installed...albeit 22mm wide for and orange, so not much use unfortunately.

Reactions: Zaf
Z

Zaf

I'm amazed that I missed that. Wouldn't so quick to gloss over the DPX2, same level of control as the CCDB and with a better track record for not shitting the bed.

goobags

Likes Dirt

This is the bike in question for those playing at home.

So how do I know that the frame has significant pedal effects? Only the top spec model has the e:i system and even then it’s an option.

Thanks for the offer moorey, but I’ll go something that actually fits the frame.

So basically to replace the shock, fine one the right size, get some mounting hardware, spend money, then ride? Maybe a call to Cyclinic or NSD is in order as suggested.

goobags

Likes Dirt
Already ran a shockwiz on it when the battery first died on it when it was a brand new bike. Shock needed more or less high speed compression damping and something else which were in the red which couldn’t be changed without sending it away.

When purchasing the bike, I knew the electrics could be an issue later on. It was such a bargain that I couldn’t pass up and even with the cost of replacing the shock, I will be infront

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Asking the ShockWiz to analyse an e:i shock will give your weird results!

goobags

Likes Dirt
Asking the ShockWiz to analyse an e:i shock will give your weird results!

Not when the battery was stuffed and just ran it it open mode manually.

Shockwiz would definitely not like the e:i when operational. Much like locking a fork or shock out, tells you not not to do it in the instructions

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Bike-discount.de is riddled with fox ones off the cube splits. 510s on sale too and magura mt trails are 40% off.

Last edited:

goobags

Likes Dirt

For those playing at home, decided on a DPX2 and had a few rides on it and it’s pretty good.

Put a shockwiz on it today and the results are as above. Going to put a smidge more air in it even though it doesn’t say to, sag is just over 30%. Will also adjust the LSC, not sure what the setup is for the HSC and LSC circuits and if they interact with each other