Replacement DH trails when current Glenrock Trails are closed.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
For those of you who aren't aware, the current draft Plan of Management (POM) for glenrock makes no provision for DH riding and will result in the closure of trails like Dippers, Creek Gap and Garden Path.

Recent DH trail construction and modification of trails has just reinforced the stance taken.

So, rather than being stuck with nowhere to ride when the trail closures eventually come (we don't know the timeframe, the POM process seems to be dragging on), the GTA wants to try and find a suitable off park location hopefully not too far away, with a view to lobbying for replacement trails in Glenrock in the future.

There has been a lot of discussion on this issue on the GTA website (http://glenrocktrailalliance.com/node/15126) and we want to get moving with sorting an alternate trail spot out.

The first step is to short list some potential areas so we can then start to lobby for some access to be granted. We also need the support of the people who will ultimately ride and maintain them.

I know a lot of people have been saying they will continue to build in glenrock, but ultimately this will be bad for mtb access anywhere in the NSW national park system, and it will only result in poorly built, rushed trails that are shut down as soon as they pop up. The best thing for us to do right now is to sort a new spot.

If youve got any comments, potential locations or really want to get involved, post here or better yet at the GTA website. www.glenrocktrailalliance.com

mullan2304

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did they give a firm no on the hills at at Eleebana. I still think that there is potential for a small riding park out there. Similar size to glenrock in run length to.

Myself and ny brother would be more than happy to build and maintain them if it was a legitimate designated MTB area.

mullan2304

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Because it is already owned by a private company (can't remember which) and has been due to be levelled for the past 3 or so years.

Fortunatly they are either very lazy or have little interest developing it.

joekillen28

Likes Bikes
how about next to blackbutt reserve, there is a nice steep hill there and enough bushland there aswell. just a suggestion though

actionchris

Likes Dirt
Jesmond?

What about bushland between jesmond and the hospital. Its a decent elevation gain. There may be some old trails that can be rejuvinated. I can have a look up there sometime next week if you like. Been about a year since i last went up there for a ride.

specialized1#

Likes Bikes
Black butt or charlestown

Next to black butt sounds alright but there's a bit of bush around charlestown behind the cinema or across the highway from glenrock and there's some space behind the army reserve that looks alright, just a thought.

Greg882

Likes Bikes
Not sure about who owns this land but what about as you drive from dudley to redhead either side of the road has bushland either side?? not exactly the steepest but good enough for a few arvo runs

sammydog

Not sure about who owns this land but what about as you drive from dudley to redhead either side of the road has bushland either side?? not exactly the steepest but good enough for a few arvo runs
Between Dudley to redhead.....

On the eastern side it is part of Glenrock/Awabakal. This is the least likely section to ever see trails. On top of that it is quiet sandy,

On the western side, large chunks are (or were) subject to native title claims. That essentially stops the process for getting legal trails until it is settled. Until then there is not really a land manager to deal with.

Next to black butt sounds alright but there's a bit of bush around charlestown behind the cinema or across the highway from glenrock and there's some space behind the army reserve that looks alright, just a thought.
Thats still glenrock. We have already discussed this with the NPWS and for now its not a possibility.

Not sure about the land behind the cinema though.

ranga.no1

Cannon Fodder
The Bushland at the back of jesmond park and around the john hunter hospital would be really good. there is good elevation and would give you a really long run.

NetBiker

Likes Bikes
Where are these 3 downhill trails at glenrock? Theyre not marked on the 'maps' are they a sort of underground you have to know somebody to found out? Common knowledge? Unless the actual downhill trails are just similar to the B-J's, maybe ive been on them without even knowing.

sullivanvizual

Likes Dirt
hey all,

Funny how this debate has dragged on for so many years.

Nick and I have ridden on and off at Glenrock since we were both around 12 or 13 years old.

Now being way over 30 each thats a long time.Legaly all spots mentioned as are out of the question I would think.

Crazy how hard it is to get a properly build place in Newcastle to ride our bikes.But it seems its like that Australia wide in alot of ways.

I mean to legalise all the DH tracks that are already there why is that so hard ?The tracks are already there,they are short but with minimal effort they could be made alot better.

I guess thats my two cents.

Christian

sammydog

For those asking about the DH trails in Glenrock, they are there but aren't mapped on any of our maps as they are not legal trails anymore. Expect them to be shut down in the next 12 months.

hey all,

Funny how this debate has dragged on for so many years.

Nick and I have ridden on and off at Glenrock since we were both around 12 or 13 years old.

Now being way over 30 each thats a long time.Legaly all spots mentioned as are out of the question I would think.

Crazy how hard it is to get a properly build place in Newcastle to ride our bikes.But it seems its like that Australia wide in alot of ways.

I mean to legalise all the DH tracks that are already there why is that so hard ?The tracks are already there,they are short but with minimal effort they could be made alot better.

I guess thats my two cents.

Christian
Actually the problem with lack of legal trails really stems from people sitting around waiting for others to do something about it.

We got awaba up because there was no decent legal DH race tracks in the area, despite there being a lot of quality illegal ones. Sure it took a few years to get monkey off the ground, and a little longer for the XC, but it happened.

Glenrock is a different kettle of fish. Whats been acheived there is massive in the context of what the NPWS will normally allow, and has traditionally considered in a park. Thats been a seven year process and unfortunately getting DH trails was a step too far for the NPWS at this point. But, the fact we actually got a decent XC network in and have the ability to maintain it (with massive support from the NPWS) should not be balked at. That said, the Glenrock DH trails are a mess and the bottom half of all of them was never going to fit the sustainability goal.

We are now trying to get the ball rolling on Jesmond park for DH trails. Legal is the goal here and when the time comes for public support, expect a lot of info here and on the GTA. I'm not expecting a speedy process though. Just getting a feel at the moment for what the battle for the trails will actually entail.

While there is a heap of illegal trails around to ride, I think most would agree that somewhere legal and secured for the long term would be a good investment in the sport.

fairy1

Banned
I'm surprised that the DH trails are still open, why NPWS haven't put some water bars or addressed the drainage issues baffles me. If the trails were maintained by riders I guarantee the blown out sections at the bottom of each run would look a lot nicer.

I'm not pushing to keep them open, I just don't ride Glenrock anymore, if I owned a ridgid 29er I'd probably ride there still.

sullivanvizual

Likes Dirt
hey,

yeah I agree with people not wanting to do the hard work to get them designed,approved and made etc..

Awaba is a great place for sure, but i'm not really into the full on DH rock gardens etc... not sure why just never have been. Coff's is a great DH track for me.

What I would love to see trails like in "Follow Me" at Big White I believe, just really smooth,fast,big berms, nice flowly table tap and gap's.I guess like a dh Xc track.

I guess thats just what I like to ride....

Jesmond would be great but I though the plan was to put a major link highway though there?

cheers.