Replacement Fork Time - ebike edition

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Mas, contact https://cyclinic.com.au/ and ask them if it's possible to upgrade the damper in that 35 Gold Fork.
I went from the motion control damper in a Yari and bought a charger 1 damper from this bloke on gumtree:
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pre...-and-air-spring-upgrade-kits-150mm/1250696870

Totally changed the fork. That motion control is utter crap, but even the 'old' charger 1 damper is a huge improvement.

You could even try to find a Yari (maybe ~$400) and then throw in that charger 1 damper listed above which would give you the equivalent of a Lyric. You can even order some lyric stickers from ebay or aliexpress. You would have a great fork for very little.
Plus eventually you could upgrade the Yari to the charger 2.1 damper for around $400 if you feel the need.

Just depends on your budget.
I did a lot of looking and pretty sure they can’t be upgraded as they use different threads.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Good question. I had a 34 Rythym before which I felt like it responded a lot nicer when hitting rocky stuff with some speed. It felt more linear like it was working all the time through the whole range if that makes sense. This one feels like it unnecessarily blows through the first 2/3rds of travel yet its really hard to use the last 1/3. To me the stiffness feels great though.
Have you tried pulling out one or more tokens (assuming it has some), upping the pressure slightly to get a more linear spring curve?

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
I'd get rid of that 35 Gold fork then.
I had one that came with a 2020 Giant Trance 3 and it's utter garbage. I agree that it's stiffer than say a 34 Rythym but that MC damper is just a waste.
Look at this:

from MTB PARTS & APPAREL Buy & Sell Australia on facebook. Upgrade that Yari with the charger 1 and you have an almost new Lyric

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Okay it has been decided. Got a 2020 Rockshox Lyric Select lined up to pick up in a couple of weeks.
Thanks everyone.
Sorry, late to the party here. My Levo came with a Lyrik Select and it was rubbish (sorry) BUT....when I took the damper out to have a look it basically fell apart. There's a nyloc nut on the damper shaft that holds the piston and shims together. My nut hadn't been tightened enough from factory and it had unthreaded which meant the shims and piston were not secure. This obviously contributed to the feeling of a shit fork but something that isn't unheard of with this damper according to google. The rest of the damper is made from cheap plastic and whilst it's similar to the GRIP damper it is a step down in quality. I changed to a 2.1 damper (and a Smashpot) which fixed most of its woes.

Did you get the fork cheap?

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry, late to the party here. My Levo came with a Lyrik Select and it was rubbish (sorry) BUT....when I took the damper out to have a look it basically fell apart. There's a nyloc nut on the damper shaft that holds the piston and shims together. My nut hadn't been tightened enough from factory and it had unthreaded which meant the shims and piston were not secure. This obviously contributed to the feeling of a shit fork but something that isn't unheard of with this damper according to google. The rest of the damper is made from cheap plastic and whilst it's similar to the GRIP damper it is a step down in quality. I changed to a 2.1 damper (and a Smashpot) which fixed most of its woes.

That’s not good to hear. Fork was $700. The 2021 has improved air spring and seals which I think I will do at its first service.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That’s not good to hear. Fork was $700. The 2021 has improved air spring and seals which I think I will do at its first service.
Haven't paid the guy yet and as the fork isn't available for another month I just let old mate know that I will still be looking around. As well as that Yari above there's a Fox 36 Performance Grip 2 for $750 up on the fbook at the moment which seems like a good deal too. Let me know if anyone sees anything else.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Is your experience of the Select level fork / damper that it just LSC doesn't do anything? I've got one and whilst the fork is plenty firm and stout, there's precisely no variance in LSC from full open to closed.
I've tried in shops and mates bikes with the same damper and they're all the same.

kten

Is your experience of the Select level fork / damper that it just LSC doesn't do anything? I've got one and whilst the fork is plenty firm and stout, there's precisely no variance in LSC from full open to closed.
I've tried in shops and mates bikes with the same damper and they're all the same.
Yes that's the one. Mine provided zero support so I had to run max tokens with quite high pressures to stop bottoming. The only dial on mine that seemed to have any effect was the rebound.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interestingly, I've got a Lyrik headed to me. Brand new from Pushys. I wanted the Zeb but A2C is 5mm over the max for the frame at the travel I want.

If I get hold of it and the same occurs, I'm returning it. The LSC on my Pike RC works perfectly so I can't understand why this wouldn't.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Haven't paid the guy yet and as the fork isn't available for another month I just let old mate know that I will still be looking around. As well as that Yari above there's a Fox 36 Performance Grip 2 for $750 up on the fbook at the moment which seems like a good deal too. Let me know if anyone sees anything else.
750 for the Grip 2 36 is great. I’d buy that.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So the Lyrik arrived, I get it out of the box and it's looking fine.

Put it on the carpet and compress the fork to test the damper. Rebound is fine, compression is clearly for cosmetic purposes only.

Either,
  1. Not enough oil in it out of the factory (it does sound a little dry)
  2. It's buggered and needs a warranty.
  3. They're all like that and shouldn't be sold.
I'm guessing 3 given my experience of the other Lyrik I've got.

Comms sent to Pushys, we'll see what they have to say.

Anyone know if the Fast cartridge damper in my Fox 34 Factory will fit in the Lyrik?

Spoke to NSD and the answer is of course, no..
Cuss you Boost, cuss you to hell.

Last edited:

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So the Lyrik arrived, I get it out of the box and it's looking fine.

Put it on the carpet and compress the fork to test the damper. Rebound is fine, compression is clearly for cosmetic purposes only.

Either,
  1. Not enough oil in it out of the factory (it does sound a little dry)
  2. It's buggered and needs a warranty.
  3. They're all like that and shouldn't be sold.
I'm guessing 3 given my experience of the other Lyrik I've got.

Comms sent to Pushys, we'll see what they have to say.

Anyone know if the Fast cartridge damper in my Fox 34 Factory will fit in the Lyrik?
That sucks. Just send it back as I reckon your doubts will always be there.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That sucks. Just send it back as I reckon your doubts will always be there.
It's super annoying.. to get the 2.1 Charger damper is $400 on top and I'd rather get something more special to begin with. It's a shame as the RCT3 Lyrik I have and RC Pike work well, they just can't keep up with the X2 Factory... More coins required it seems.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Why not just send it in for a 'blueprint' to make sure all the stuff that should get done by the factory (and never is) is done, and get the shim stack re-tuned while its there?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll send it back to Pushy and they can let SRAM fix it properly. If they can't, I'll look elsewhere. Thankfully I can ride with the current forks on it.

kten

Maybe you should have jumped on those Suntour forks that Zaf recommended. Seriously good value.