Replacement Fork Time - ebike edition

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got the new Merida eone sixty limited edition (number 34,265,234,889 of 10 billion). It came with the Rockshox Gold 35, 29", with 160mm travel out front and I want to upgrade it. There seems to be sooooo many variations of these things and every year model review makes it sound like the previous years were pieces of crap.

Rockshox Lyric - As we have established I like matchy matchy and have a super deluxe shock out back. I've been offered a 2019 RC version just serviced for $600 but am wondering if the base model 2020 select would be better to aim for as it sounds like it has a few improvements.

Marz Z1 - I loved my 34 Rythym with the Grip damper which this has too. The Merida 8000 has an ebike version of this fork but I dont know if there is any actual difference between that and the normal one. There's one around for $700.

Zaf pointed me to the Suntour Durolux which is at a great price but I just cant bring myself to do it. It doesn't fulfil any of the instant gratification needs I have.

What are peoples thoughts?
If anyone is selling, let me know too.
Cheers
MAS

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Marz Z1 coil. Stiffer chassis than a 36 with the goodness of coil. Extra weight doesn't matter when you have electric legs

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Yeh I wouldnt mind but I am looking second hand and those are about $1200 new.

Go

Likes Dirt
Fair enough.
Fox has better dampers than RS imo. Grip damper on the rythm forks works quite well.
Yari is a good option. Can always upgrade the damper and turns into a lyrik

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fair enough.
Fox has better dampers than RS imo. Grip damper on the rythm forks works quite well.
Yari is a good option. Can always upgrade the damper and turns into a lyrik

I sort of want to skip the Yari stage as everyone normally changes them to a lyrik anyway.

Reactions: Go

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Just get the Lyric or Marz. Both will be great. If you need more finesse from them put the money towards damper tuning.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Minlak

custom titis
Zaf pointed me to the Suntour Durolux which is at a great price but I just cant bring myself to do it. It doesn't fulfil any of the instant gratification needs I have.

What are peoples thoughts?
If anyone is selling, let me know too.
Cheers
MAS
What is the perceived issue with the current fork? That will direct the relevant upgrade path.
I think mainly this - and that’s more than okay in my decision making process ever

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Try get your hands on the new ZEB lol. 38mm forks is nuts.
I did think about it. There is a new Zeb for $1100 that doesn't have the compression lockout feature, which would be fine by me, but I think it would be way overkill for me and can't bring myself to spend that much just yet.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What is the perceived issue with the current fork? That will direct the relevant upgrade path.
Good question. I had a 34 Rythym before which I felt like it responded a lot nicer when hitting rocky stuff with some speed. It felt more linear like it was working all the time through the whole range if that makes sense. This one feels like it unnecessarily blows through the first 2/3rds of travel yet its really hard to use the last 1/3. To me the stiffness feels great though.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think mainly this - and that’s more than okay in my decision making process ever
There is more to it than that lol. The suntour is pre-order and wont be available for another month. Then with Covid shipping who knows when it will arrive from the states. There's a couple of reviews and people seem happy with them but 99% of the time the Lyriks and 36's are top of the bunch recommendations time. I am happy to stay the more mainstream brands that have more local support too and realise that while any of these forks would be a big jump up from where I am, I am not good enough to notice if any of them were incrementally better than the others. Also, and mainly, it looks ugly with those 1990's graphics.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Try get your hands on the new ZEB lol. 38mm forks is nuts.
Isn't there an emtb specific version of the ZEB with a dual position air spring, the idea being to reduce travel and get your weight forward when you're powering up climbs?

Good write up on ZEB here: https://enduro-mtb.com/en/2021-rockshox-zeb-suspension-fork-test/

Interestingly, the reviewer said that unless you're really pushing hard, the Lyrik is probably the better choice. Also, they hint right at the end that the Fox 38 has the edge over the ZEB.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
This one feels like it unnecessarily blows through the first 2/3rds of travel yet its really hard to use the last 1/3. To me the stiffness feels great though.
Checked if there's any volume reducers installed in your current fork? If there is try removing them and bumping the base pressure up a little.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Good question. I had a 34 Rythym before which I felt like it responded a lot nicer when hitting rocky stuff with some speed. It felt more linear like it was working all the time through the whole range if that makes sense. This one feels like it unnecessarily blows through the first 2/3rds of travel yet its really hard to use the last 1/3. To me the stiffness feels great though.
Welcome to the wonderful motion control damper. Try actually using some compression damping, you'll regret it.

The Charger in the Lyric and the Grip in the Marz are light years better. I really like the Grip damper, so much so that I've swapped out all of my Fox36 rc2s for them. The fact that you can lock them out for climbing is a bonus feature.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Isn't there an emtb specific version of the ZEB with a dual position air spring, the idea being to reduce travel and get your weight forward when you're powering up climbs?

Good write up on ZEB here: https://enduro-mtb.com/en/2021-rockshox-zeb-suspension-fork-test/

Interestingly, the reviewer said that unless you're really pushing hard, the Lyrik is probably the better choice. Also, they hint right at the end that the Fox 38 has the edge over the ZEB.
I was deciding between the Zeb and Lyrik, select version of both and for the extra $220 I decided I'm not that much of a hard charger to warrant it.
Not once have I noticed the Lyrik is too flimsy, hell even my Pike has been fine on the Remedy. That is 27.5 and 160mm though.

That said I do weigh 100kgs+ and would love the look of the 38mm legs. It's a shame one can't try them out to see prior to buying.

Last edited:

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
Hey Mas, contact https://cyclinic.com.au/ and ask them if it's possible to upgrade the damper in that 35 Gold Fork.
I went from the motion control damper in a Yari and bought a charger 1 damper from this bloke on gumtree:
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pre...-and-air-spring-upgrade-kits-150mm/1250696870

Totally changed the fork. That motion control is utter crap, but even the 'old' charger 1 damper is a huge improvement.

You could even try to find a Yari (maybe ~$400) and then throw in that charger 1 damper listed above which would give you the equivalent of a Lyric. You can even order some lyric stickers from ebay or aliexpress. You would have a great fork for very little.
Plus eventually you could upgrade the Yari to the charger 2.1 damper for around $400 if you feel the need.

Just depends on your budget.