Replacement forks on a budget

Slow moe

Likes Dirt
Hi all,
Chasing some recommendations on behalf of a mate whose forks have seen better days. With the plethora of sizing, spacing, etc I am out of my depth with what forks fit what frame, etc any more (it seemed a lot easier a decade or two ago).

Mate's bike is a 2012 Giant Talon that he uses for short commutes. The original (and now stuffed) fork was a Rock Shox XC 28 TK 100mm. Given the bike and what it is used for, he is clearly looking for something that is budget friendly and need not be high performance (although the footpaths of Canberra can become pretty hairy at 2am after a few drinks).

thanks in advance

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I am not familiar with the Talon but from 2012 its probably a 26" wheel with quick release and tapered steerer. You'll really need to remove the fork and measure the steerer diameter. Giant had some bikes with "overdrive" that had larger 1 1/4 tapered steerers.

Perhaps post up some pics.

moorey

call me Mia
I am not familiar with the Talon but from 2012 its probably a 26" wheel with quick release and tapered steerer. You'll really need to remove the fork and measure the steerer diameter. Giant had some bikes with "overdrive" that had larger 1 1/4 tapered steerers.

Perhaps post up some pics.
I think they were straight steerer in a 44mm headtube that could be converted to tapered with new lower cup....that will confuse the cuss out of poor @Slow moe.
Higher models had taper and OD2.
Will check.

Slow moe

Likes Dirt
I think they were straight steerer in a 44mm headtube that could be converted to tapered with new lower cup....that will confuse the cuss out of poor @Slow moe.
Higher models had taper and OD2.
Will check.
yes, utterly confused.
didn't even think to mention wheel size. in my world, all bikes are still 26" (that's what makes them bikes isn't it?) so yes, 26" with quick release and on a low spec bike. Moorey picked it: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/talon-2--blue-black--2012

moorey

call me Mia
26” is still the correct size for a bike.
There’s some eBay forks that aren’t meant to be to bad for $150. I’ll find a link.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Weight: 1.94kg pretty close to my Pikes, also pretty sure that includes the remote as quoted at 1850 or less on other sites. I think you are looking a the package weight, less of a concern I would have thought.

Last edited:

Slow moe

Likes Dirt
I may be confused about all of this, but rest assured that I will remember to take any part out of the box before attempting to install.

Moorey - These seem to have a head tube of 28.6mm but you earlier referenced a steerer of 44mm. Is my fork anatomy knowledge really that bad or am I missing something?

Thanks again

moorey

call me Mia
I may be confused about all of this, but rest assured that I will remember to take any part out of the box before attempting to install.

Moorey - These seem to have a head tube of 28.6mm but you earlier referenced a steerer of 44mm. Is my fork anatomy knowledge really that bad or am I missing something?

Thanks again
They run an internal headset on most of that era...not all...not yours by the sound. I built 2 talons up for local kids...but I think they were more like 2014 frames.